LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 09-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
spikedmike
User

Default Saw in a Gunshop- Opinions?

Hi All! I now have 3 P-08's in my collection,But I'm clueless when it comes to LP-08's...
Saw one today in Culver City(LA).
DWM 1915 all matching,but don't know about the mag..80% to 90% bluing,Grips very good..
Here's what's missing that I noticed right off..The stock Lug has been milled off..errgh. But they're asking $1595.. That I noticed right off,too.
I need enlightenment,and to see if I should pursue this one.
Opinions welcomed-Thanks-Mike-
Unread 09-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

Mike,

With its lug off, I would consider it a "shooter" Luger...

The fun of having a LP-08 is to stock it (even with a repro stock) and shoot it...

I think I would pass...from a collector-value stand-point.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Ron Smith
User

I agree with Pete. An expertly refinished LP-08 is preferable to one that has been altered, IMO.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

I'm with everyone on this one. If you are a collector, then this arty should be passed on. But you said that you had three P-08's, so maybe you would want to save those for your collection but still want to go out and have some fun shooting, then MAYBE this gun could be justified. Even then, I would work down that price a bite. Its MAYBE something that you don't really need. Sight unseen, I couldn't give you an estimate on what price you should set your goal at.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
spikedmike
User

Thanks guys with your input..I'm going to wait awhile and see what shows up down the road. A famous quote on the gun forums"there will be others".
I thought the price was good,but w/o a stock lug,what's the point. I was sratching my head trying to figuer out why anyone would remove the lug. I met a guy in a gunshop that was into Lugers way back when they would come into the gunshop in big boxes with holsters going for $29.95.
Anyway he said that they remove them because of some law (who's I don't know)that was drawn up arond 1949-1950. Dumb !! Waist!!
I'm sure this artillery is not going to sell soon.So I'll just stop by the shop in LA,Time to time and see hows it's doin.. Thanks-Mike
Unread 09-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
policeluger
RIP

I just passed on one such gun in one of the shops I gun smith for, could have had it for $800...its sold but keep looking...
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Mauser720
User

Regrading "the law" pertaining to Luger pistols having their stock lugs ground off, the following appears on page #394 of the book "Small Arms of the World" by Smith & Smith (copyrighted 1969):

"Many Lugers have their grips ridged for shoulder-stock holsters and the following facts should be brought to the attention of U.S. collectors. Possession of a pistol which is ridged or slotted for a shoulder stock and the stock which fits the pistol, requires under U.S. firearms laws, that the weapon be registered with the Firearms Branch, Alcohol Tax Unit, U.S. Internal Revenue Service, the branch of the U.S. government which registers submachine guns and machine guns and enforces the National and Federal Firearms Acts. Failure to register this type of weapon with the above agency can result in fine or imprisonment, and at a minimum considerable trouble and embarassment. It should be noted that in addition to the Federal statutes, most states have similar laws."

I am "new" on this forum, and also a new collector. However, I assume this law must have been changed at some point. I am guessing this helps to explain why some Luger pistols have the stock slots on their frames ground off. Personally, I think it is a real shame. Anyone else have more information on this?

Ron
Unread 09-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
spikedmike
User

Thanks for you info,Ron. If that law was still being enforced all Lugers with stock lugs would come under that law. And I've a lot of those !!
Unread 09-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
Ron Smith
User

"slotted for a shoulder stock and the stock which fits the pistol,"

This was the misconception. Many people misinterpreted the regulation and thought that if it was capable of having a stock fitted, then it was illegal. Only if they had the stock with the Luger, was this true.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
spikedmike
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Smith
"slotted for a shoulder stock and the stock which fits the pistol,"

This was the misconception. Many people misinterpreted the regulation and thought that if it was capable of having a stock fitted, then it was illegal. Only if they had the stock with the Luger, was this true.

Ron
Ah Ha ! Ron, thanks for making that clear about the law. I did not catch the"with the stock "part. -Mike-
Unread 09-09-2007, 02:48 AM   #11
Big Norm
RIP

Laws have changed over a period of time and will differ from state to state. Now, according to the federal law, it would be illegal to mount a stock on any P-08. The 1900 thru 1906 Lugers can legally have a set of Ideal grips with a mounted Ideal stock. The Borchardt with it specialty stock is also legal. After that, the carbine, navy and artillery Lugers can have stocks on them. Personally, I do not know if other rare stocks such as the Benke-Thiemann are legal. As collectors pieces, I assume that they are. But I doubt that anyone would take a Benke-Thiemann stock to the shooting range. It would be just too rare and expensive.

According to long ago posts on this forum, at one time, some police departments would automatically take a Luger, any Luger, into their back room and file the stock lug off of the Luger without asking whenever a luger was presented for registration. Thankfully, that police practice has stopped. (I hope). Then again, some people removed the stock lug because they thought it made the gun too uncomfortable to shoot. (It takes all kinds). Remember, at one time the Luger was just another gun and not a collectors piece. There were millions of them in the world.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
Hugh
RIP

Quote:
After that, the carbine, navy and artillery Lugers can have stocks on them.
Only if it is the correct style stock. A navy stock on an artillery Luger is illegal as is an artillery Luger stock on a navy Luger. However, I believe that a repro stock of the correct style is now also legal, according to a recent BTAF ruling.
Unread 09-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #13
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

The correct versions of these firearms including the correct stock (Navy, Artillery, or other special Lugers as listed by BATFE on their website) became exempted from the provisions of the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) when BATFE placed them on the "Curios and Relics" List...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
MikeP
User

Prior to entering service in '66, I had a stone mint broomhandle rig.
Matched stock, acessories, I got from the vet for $75.
I had it in my dorm room and got "caught" with it.
That was no biggie at that time, but they were concerned about my '28 Thomson "army rifle."
I was not arrested, but the feds "allowed" me to "abandon" them.
The Thompson was a crappy rewat, only cost a hundred bucks, but that broom was a beaut.
Memories...
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote