LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 05-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
hansfischer007
User

Default Proxi-bid..??

Last nite while surfing around on the Internet.....I came across the Website ..PROXI-BID.....and at first glance they have some great items up for auction........this is a totally new site to me.....has anyone on the Forum ever bid on anything on Proxibid..??...I notice they have a good number of Lugers up for auction.....im interested primarily in German Medals and Belt Buckles.......but my question is .....have you used the site and what results have you had..??...and what have you heard from others..??...I appreciate you taking the time to answer.......Regards.....Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

I went to the Proxibid site...Plugged in 'Luger' to their Search engine...and 9 of the first 10 hits were RIAC auctions...

It would appear that they link existing auctions, not their own...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I have used Proxibid quite a bit. I guess I have purchased 15 or more items from various auctions. It is very user friendly. However the 18% buyers premium is a killer on an expensive item. If you buy a $1000.00 Luger you will actually pay $1180.00 plus shipping. Plus there is a 2-3 second time lapse from the auction to your computer. If you click on $800.00, the auctioneer might already be on $950.00 and you end up bidding $950.00.

Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Proxibid is one of a few bidding devices. It allows one to bid on auctions where the auction house has contracted with it.

In a way it is lke a telephone bid.

They do not have their own auctions.

For their services there is a fee and the auction houses pass such along to the buyer as part of the buyer's charge.
Unread 05-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
However the 18% buyers premium is a killer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew1 View Post
Proxibid...For their services there is a fee and the auction houses pass such along to the buyer as part of the buyer's charge.
Ok, I'm confused...RIAC charges 15% (or is it 17%? - I didn't win, don't know) and Proxi-Bid charges 18%??? Do you pay a cumulative service charge, or just one of the two???

I don't see any advantage to using Proxi-Bid as opposed to bidding yourself on RIAC, for instance...It would even be cheaper...

Maybe for anonymity??? Or just to use Proxi-Bid to locate an auction with, say, a Russian Contract 1906 Luger and then go to that auction and bid on it??? Not use Proxi-Bid at all???

Maybe if you were at work when the auction was taking place, and used Proxi-Bid as your bidding agent???

I guess I'm missing something here...

What is the advantage of using Proxi-Bid???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

proxi-bid

It sounds a lot cooler than Rock Island Auction

I know that it searches many auction houses and then lays in the bid for you, more than that and I am unsure.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Yes, depending on how you rationalize the commissions and fees, you are paying about 20% above the "hammer price" when all is said and done.
I "attended" the online auction all day Saturday, or at least until the Lugers were all gone. The Artie (small pic in new collectors' forum) I wound up with was actually won via the automatic pre-bid system, which keeps bidding for you up to the max you have set. I put in some low-ball pre bids and the LP-08 was the result, actually won on Friday of this 3-day auction.
My first pistol, Luger, and shooter
David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
Ok, I'm confused...RIAC charges 15% (or is it 17%? - I didn't win, don't know) and Proxi-Bid charges 18%??? Do you pay a cumulative service charge, or just one of the two???

I don't see any advantage to using Proxi-Bid as opposed to bidding yourself on RIAC, for instance...It would even be cheaper...

Maybe for anonymity??? Or just to use Proxi-Bid to locate an auction with, say, a Russian Contract 1906 Luger and then go to that auction and bid on it??? Not use Proxi-Bid at all???

Maybe if you were at work when the auction was taking place, and used Proxi-Bid as your bidding agent???

I guess I'm missing something here...

What is the advantage of using Proxi-Bid???
The buyer's charge includes the proxibid charge.

First - it is always best if one can attend in person.

As compared to mailing a bid to the auction house, proxibid gives more control over the bidding process. You never have to wonder if the auction house just put your high bid in even if there were no lower bids. You can sort of watch the bidding process and control this.

Can it be rigged - sure. But even if you go in person, there can always be a shill present.
Unread 06-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

The most useful thing abut Proxibid is that they stream live audio from the auction.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote