LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
hwortmanjr
User

Default Can anyone tell me what I have

Hello, new to the forum and I appreciate all the knowledge out there. I just acquired a Luger DWM. been wanting one for a long time but due to the values have not been able to put my hands on one until now....It appears to be a DWM Commerical in 30 Luger cal. Ser # 1570 and match through out the gun. No markings on the top of slide where barrel is joined. Under barrel is the ser # with "P" in script(as shown in guide to gun marks) same with front of frame. a regular N on left side slide. Either an Standing Lion or Eagle on left side(left side of next to last photo) front of breach lok group..inside where the lock back goes is an "A" same on the left side where the little plate is for trigger mech...left grip has a "W" stamp near the top
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DWM Luger 30luger #1570.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	35983  

Name:	IMGA0547.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	35984  

Name:	IMGA0548.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	35985  

Name:	IMGA0550.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	35986  

Name:	IMGA0552.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	35987  

hwortmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Your PO8 appears to be missing it's hold open part. TH
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Arizona Slim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Welcome to the forum Henry, good to have you as a member. The proof mark you referred to on your breech block is a standing eagle as you said and the "P" on your frame and barrel are part of the serial number, 1570P. As Lugerdoc pointed out it appears that you are missing the hold open and you are in luck as Lugerdoc usually has them in stock. Good luck to you and thank you for your military service.

Lon
Arizona Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
hwortmanjr
User

Got a hold open coming from the guy I made the trade to....can either of you gentlemen tell me where I might be able to obtain more information about the gun and maybe its age or date...a little lost since there is no year stamp like most...thanks for the acknowledgement on my Service....since Vietnam it was a long time since that I would even admit to being in that part of the World
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
alvin
User

The receiver has C/N, the barrel has no proof, and the bolt has Eagle proof. If we count frame as the pistol, 1570p,,,,, 1924, 1925 ??
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Arizona Slim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

More then likely your pistol is a 1920 Commercial, these Lugers had one through four numbers, with or without a small letter and came in either 9mm or 7.65mm (.30 Luger). We have many members that are very knowledgeable on this subject and I'm certain someone better qualified then I will weigh in on this subject In the meantime if you click on "search" at the top of this page and type in some variation of the subject matter you are looking for you should find some helpful information Good luck, Henry.

Lon
Arizona Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Welcome to the forum, a number of Vietnam vets here, thank you for your service.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
hwortmanjr
User

just curious, how does one determine a reblue....held this beside two others with better and worse finish and can not see a noticeable difference
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,321 Posts

Lots of ways. Improper parts blued, improper bluing process, blued over pits/scratches, evidence of buffing or blasting, "haloes" missing around the stampings--just to get you started...
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
JD
User

Originally, your gun would have been rust blued (a true "blue" color) and the small parts like the trigger, safety, and locking bolt would have been strawed ( a honey / gold color). Your gun now is a dull black color, rather than the orginal satin texture blue. The small parts on your gun are now also blued rather than their orginal straw color. Originally the stampings on your gun would have raised edges and a "halo" in the blueing around them, now they are completely flat and shallower and less distinct than original. Notice that some of the serial number on the barrel is almost gone...

Just some of the indications that it has been reblued. Refinishing a luger removes all of it's collector value and puts the gun in the shooter catagory..
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to JD for your post:
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #11
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Never mind, it's still a nice gun, we all are learning by making mistakes. Actually it depends on what you originally were looking for: a "collectible" or a "shooter". You'll soon discover that what I call the "Luger World" is so wide and interesting that you'll see there is always something to learn.
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
hwortmanjr
User

Thanks Gentlemen, have been playing with guns since 12 (first gun via mail order through Spiegel Catalog Enfield 1 mk 111 $12.95 delivered to my door....Dads approval of Course) be 68 December and Still Learning....would have been nice for Collectors item....but now that I have one that at least looks halfway decent...will settle for a shooter....what recommendation would anyone make or who could " Re-blued it to original Standard"