LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-29-2001, 12:01 PM   #1
Brad

Default new luger

well i finally picked up my new luger. i have some questions about markings...

produced by dwm dated 1921

the only part i have found so far that doesn't match is the takedown lever (i will be detail stripping tonight)

right side of the top reciever has 2 birds with what looks like www underneath (similar to #31 on the markings page here)

under the barrel under the serial number is 8(or 3)8(or 3)2

inside the frame in front of the trigger guard is a h and the circled n blow it

and on the front strap of the grip is K.A.6. (space) 7.

some of my descriptions of these markings are vague due to my very poor eyesight and the fact that this gun looks like it was dragged behind a truck on a gravel road (if it wasn't a luger i wouldn't have even looked at it)

the safety lever looks as though it broke and someone had brazed a couple pieces of steel together to work. the bore is pitted to the point i am fairly certain it will have to be relined. the end of the barrel will need recrowned. all of the pitting (sometimes about a 1/4" round and deep) will need welded up. the grips are gone. but suprisingly the internal parts look really good and the trigger after a lot of creep and takeup breaks cleanly at about 2-3 lbs. i would like some help with deciphering some of the markings. i think considering the condition and the amount of work involved in bringing this old girl back to a state were i would even consider firing it, it sounds like a good candidate for nickeling. what do you all think?

Unread 11-29-2001, 01:18 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: new luger

The 8,83 on the barrel is the land dimensions. I think you are right, if the gun is in that bad a shape, and rework is definitely called for, but I would consider a rust or dip blue rather than a nickle, you'll get more takers if you ever decide to sell.

Dok

Unread 11-29-2001, 01:22 PM   #3
Brad

Default Re: new luger-thor if your there

i have been trying to access your web site but i keep getting the dredded 404 file cannot be found

Unread 11-29-2001, 01:31 PM   #4
Denny Cox

Default Re: new luger - Dok, what are land markings?

Dok, what are "land markings?" My S/42 carries the same 883 behind the serial number on the underside of the barrel. Ifigured out most of the other markings, but that one had me stumped. Thanks..... Denny

Unread 11-29-2001, 01:34 PM   #5
Thor
User

Default Re: new luger-thor if your there

My WM is working on it? Been down for two-three days now! Dont have a clue. If you need any pics, I can provide them directly via email. Thor

Unread 11-29-2001, 01:36 PM   #6
The Shadow Knows

Default luger

Remember........chrome or nickel will not COVER up any defect...actually, it makes them more visable and more prep. is required than when you blue.

Unread 11-29-2001, 01:52 PM   #7
Thor
User

Default Re: Luger refurbishments

Some guns that are REALLY in bad shape really are more costly and more time consuming to get them in order than to buy a good shooter and fix it up. If I get a gun in really bad shape, there are extra charges for metal prep, parts, and even then you are not guarentted because of frame wear and other unseen items, like breech blocks not being able to retain the firing pin retainer pin as well, or perhaps a oncoming failure. Once you get inside these you find that some of them are more trouble than they are worth. I just relayed this same info to John Sabato. Get a nice, but finish sad shooter, every body involved in the rework will be happier.

Unread 11-29-2001, 02:58 PM   #8
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: new luger - Dok, what are land markings?

Denny,

It is the diameter of the lands in the barrel in millimeters, as in lands and grooves.

Unread 11-29-2001, 03:25 PM   #9
Dok
RIP

Default Or in other words...

The lands are the high bits and the grooves are the low bits of the rifling.

Unread 11-29-2001, 04:21 PM   #10
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Correcto

The lands are the original diameter of the barrel, with the grooves being cut to the proper depth.

Unread 11-29-2001, 07:41 PM   #11
Uncle Mike
User

Default Re: new luger ;K.A.6. 7 markings

Hi Brad,Just for your info.K.A. means"Kraftfahr-Abteilung"(motor-transport detachment)No.6,weapon#7.K by itself can mean alot,Police,Karabinier,Kurassier,etc.but K.A.propably above.I find unit marked weapons very interesting.Regards MC