LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-28-2001, 08:28 PM   #1
Pershing Darrow Gervais

Default My new Luger and a few rookie questions...

Default A very nice looking pistol...

and although it's difficult to tell from the photos, my guess is has been reworked. Largely because of the parts you call "chrome or nickle-plated".

In early Lugers these parts were "strawed", a heat treatment that left them with a gold finish. Over time, the starwing fades to an almost white colour, which is what I believe you have on your gun.

Strawing (and Rust Bluing) were discontinued by Mauser on Lugers in mid 1937 (both of which your gun appears to have). So without further pictures or information I'd say the rework was done a long time ago by an expert.

I will leave the valuing up to the collectors, because maybe an original rework (done in the 40s) might have a greater value than a modern rework, but a modern rework would place this gun around $600-$700 for insurance purposes.

The grips are definitely non-issue, and as such add nothing to the value. The grips should have been plastic (or Bakelite) I believe, but would stand to be corrected.

I agree with Lonnie, have a look for that side plate, it MUST be around, it can only help matters. Failing that Tom Heller (see Links & Resources) often has many original parts, give him a shout. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Luger Forum... don't be a stranger...

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 11-29-2001, 11:16 AM   #4
Pershing Darrow Gervais

Default Luger book recomendations?

I would like to buy a book on the Luger but there are a number of titles available from IDSA books. I prefer collector information (i.e. production history, variations, markings ect.) not historical information (i.e. development and use).

Thanks,

Darrow

Unread 11-29-2001, 11:33 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Welcome. Use the search function at the top of the message board page

to search for "book" and "e-book" and you will find many threads that contain the information you are looking for.

The 4 Luger e-books are cheap ($5.95) and you can download them right away.

Lugers at Random (kenyon) and Jan Still's series of books on Lugers would be great under your Christmas tree...

Check the links & resources link to the left for the Amazon list of many of the Luger books currently in print. You can get Still's books directly from him and get them autographed.

Welcome to the Lugerforum.

regards,

John Sabato

Unread 11-29-2001, 10:01 PM   #6
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: Welcome. Use the search function at the top of the message board p

John Sabato comments about E-book is correct but they are not Macintoch compatible.

Big Norm

Unread 11-29-2001, 10:16 PM   #7
66mustang

Default Re: A very nice looking pistol...

The grips might not be original, but some "Stag Grips" are up to $127.50 on e-bay.

I kind of like them, funny huh?

Ed