LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-28-2001, 03:37 PM   #1
Jim Van Eldik
User

Default Novice

Folks,

I recently purchased a nice Luger specimen -- excellent condition/bore, serial numbers match, dated 1939, 42 on the top slide. I assume it's a Mauser.

Have fired it -- great fun, great results

Disassembled top action from frame to clean. On reassembly it wouldn't **** Reassembled it a couple more times until it did ****. WHY?????

Recently watched "Odessa File" on the History Channel. Mean old SS man Maxmillian Schell guns down Knights Cross holder Wehrmacht officer with a Luger. Other guns displayed looked like P-38s.

Open to any and all advice.

Hope to hear from you!!

Jim

Unread 11-28-2001, 03:57 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Novice

I assume you printed out and followed the step-by-step instructions in the Technical Information section.

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 11-28-2001, 04:01 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Welcome to the Lugerforum Jim!

It may be something as simple as inadequate lubricaton of the sear bar, weak sear spring or as complex as something seriously wrong with your trigger linkage...

If after a thorough cleaning this problem persists, let us know and we will help you work out the bugs...

Please open a User profile (top of the main discussion page) and tell us about yourself...

There is much to be learned here if you are so inclined. This is not your typical bunch of gun folks but you will find real ladies and gentlemen here who share a love of the Luger pistol, it's magnificent engineering and long history.

Kick your shoes off and get confortable. Stop back anytime.

-John

Unread 11-28-2001, 04:09 PM   #4
Marvin
User

Jim,

First, welcome to the Forum and we hope you will return often to exchange ideas from this crazy bunch!

Your cocking problems sounds like that when you slide the receiver back into the frame, the Rear Link is not engaging the Coupling Link for the spring. When reassembling the pistol turn it upside down with the Rear Link flipped to the rear of the receiver, slide it in upside down and rotate right side up about 3/4 of the way back. Notoce the the Rear Link should engage the Coupling Link when sliding the receiver all the way back. The instructions on assembly are very good in the section to the left. Don't worry, I have done this too and I have assembled a lot of Lugers.

Marvin

Unread 11-29-2001, 09:05 AM   #5
Denny Cox

Jim, Marvin's advice sounds right. As a novice myself, I struggled with the correct coupling procedures. I've found that if you remove the right grip, you can use your little finger to "set" the coupling link into the rear link and keep it there until the slide is in the proper position. Hope this helps and welcome to the Forum! -Denny Cox

Unread 11-29-2001, 10:04 AM   #6
Thor
User

if you run the cannon back on the gun upside down then watch the position of the coupling link when it reaches the proper location just turn the gun over and it will fall into the correct alignment to catch the main spring lever. Taking the right grip off everytime you clean the gun, may loosen it.~Thor~

Unread 11-29-2001, 03:40 PM   #7
Dok
RIP

I agree with Thor... I had the same problem getting a Luger back together, but John D. showed me the "upside down" trick, and it works like a charm. No more problems after that.

Unread 11-29-2001, 04:48 PM   #8
Johnny Peppers
User

Another method is to point the muzzle straight up and lower it down on the frame. As the link passes the magazine well, lower the pistol to horizontal and the link will catch the lever.

Unread 11-30-2001, 11:16 AM   #9
Jim Van Eldik
User

Guys -- I guess you need to experience sonebody really obtuse on this board. I swear I had the linkage connected properly. I pulled the linkage back after assembly and it snapped forward nicely. But the gun didn't ****. That's what I'm mystified about. After a couple of more reassemblies it would ****.