LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-26-2001, 01:48 AM   #1
Thor
User

Default Virus Alert-MAYBE

Got a file with a MP3 followed by a pif extension from Minta

Clark (Hugh's Wife) this evening, I didnt download the file, but checked Norton's site and this MAY be a new virus! Becareful out there! I will send John Sabato a copy of this message. ~Thor~ It just smelled funny, no text with the message. Looks like one of those forwarded deals.

Unread 11-26-2001, 09:27 AM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Virus Alert-MAYBE

Ted,

The virus has been making the rounds and apparently is using address books to send out fake messages. I have been receiving them for several days now, and just received one from Hugh (Minta) Clark. So far all the messages have an e-mail address that starts with _ , as in _jhpepp... and all have been 39K in size. Watch the e-mail address and size closely for this. I have also received them from Administrator and several other unknown addresses, but have started to recognize some of the names. The persons name who is on the message did not send it.

Unread 11-26-2001, 10:10 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Sorry Folks...IT'S NOT MAYBE...I haven't been asleep at the switch

just on Thanksgiving break and haven't logged in since Wednesday... but curiously I also did not receive any of the email's that are carrying the latest revision of a .pif based virus... and I know that I was in Hugh's address book...

Virus definitions were last updated on the 24th by Symantec... everyone should download the latest definition file from their anti-virus vendor immediately and install it. I recommend that you do this religiously at least once a week... make it part of your routine if you don't want to lose your computer data to some creep who thinks creating a virus is fun.

NEVER open an attachment that you didn't expect no matter who it comes from even if you know them... that is the surest way to infect your computer...

back on virus watch duty-- John Sabato

Unread 11-26-2001, 06:39 PM   #4
BILL
User

Default Re: Sorry Folks...IT'S NOT MAYBE...I haven't been asleep at the switch

Yup, I saw the email with no text from Hugh Clarks address book. I did not see an attachment to it (but then I have some pretty strong protection programs which I keep updated on a regular basis). Good call.

Unread 11-26-2001, 09:15 PM   #5
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Sorry Folks :(

I got back home last night and logged on to check my email. Apparantly I got this virus in one of the very first ones, before my Norton had a chance to automatically update. My last update was on the 16th and this virus was not in the files. As soon as I updated to the 24th files all the alarms went off. But this was too late to keep it from going out to you all. ">

Unread 11-26-2001, 10:08 PM   #6
BILL
User

Default Re: Sorry Folks :(

I don't think that anyone holds you responsible..unless you're writing code in your spare time. My opinion is that everyone is responsible for protecting their own unit (yanno?).

Unread 11-27-2001, 03:05 AM   #7
Steve
User

Default Virus protection updates

Everyone should have a virus protection program on their computer. Also, find out how to automatically update the search patterns. If you have a dial up connection, set it to go out and look for an update everytime that you log onto the net. If you have a permanent conection (such as a DSL) set it to search every night. About every-other day my program finds a new update.

Unread 11-27-2001, 11:11 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default GOOD ADVICE...

But if you only have a slow modem connection, an automatic search for new updates could bog down your computer at a time you really need it for some other purpose on line. For this reason, I would set a recurring Outlook appointment for yourself to manually check when you know you can afford the time. Make it at the very least once a week.

Downloading a 3 to 6 megabyte file can really drag your connection down when you need to find some information on the Net fast.

Of course, if you have a high speed connection, ISDN, DSL or a direct network connection, then Live Update is the way to go...

regards,

John