LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-13-2001, 03:34 PM   #1
guy

Default dads luger brought back from WW2

My dad recently passed away and left me a luger he brought back from Germany in 1945.He told me once when he got the luger it was still packed in cosmoline (sp). I fired the luger once in the mid 1960's ,I dont think it has been fired more than 50 times total.I know very little about firearms and would like to know something about this luger.

I would say the blueing is better than 95%and the strawing is about the same (although I am not sure i know exactly what strawing is) the toggle inscription is S/42 -the chamber inscription is 1939 -it is a 9mm-Has walnut grips the safety is in "safe" in rear position and is marked "Gesicaert" The serial # is 3161 and all parts have matching numbers.I have both magazines and the are numbered the same as the luger except one has a + sign below the ser# .The proof marks appear to be consistant with #45 on this web site.No takedown tool.Holster KIMNACH BRUNN 1939 KAISERLAUTERN in excellent condition. This luger looks like it is was manufactured 'yesterday'. What is its possible value and history? THANKS FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME.

Unread 11-13-2001, 03:43 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: dads luger brought back from WW2

Congrats Guy, on a great Luger. Your Luger WOULD NOT have stawing on the small parts as originally manufactured. That would be a yellow/gold color to the safety lever, magazine release button, trigger, ejector, and take down lever. There were around 38,500 fo the variation of your Luger made my Mauser Werke during WWII. In 1939 there were S/42 and "42" Variations for military models. Your Luger should also have a script letter anywhere in the range between the letter "n" and the letter "r". This letter is located ont he front of the frame above the trigger guard and viewed from the muzzle (checking first to make sure the gun is unloaded). I would estimate between $1100-$1500 depending on dealer and assuming completely original parts, finish, etc. Sounds like a GREAT LUGER! Keep it in the family, a superb heirloom! ~Thor~

Unread 11-13-2001, 04:14 PM   #3
66mustang

Congrats, sounds like a wonderful gun.

POST Pictures if you can, John likes em,

Also, did you ever hear any stories of how he aquired it? Found on a hill, traded, etc. All stories are pretty cool!

KAISERLAUTERN is a nice city, lots of GI's still posted in that region. Your holster sounds great, pictures of it would be nice too!

Welcome to the forum, go to the left, read the tech and general information and see what you have! (Others would be glad to comment and tell you more, I am sure).

Ed

Unread 11-13-2001, 05:49 PM   #4
Bart
User

Yup, sounds to me like we need to see pictures, nice clear ones, if possible. Rookies like me get off on seeing the variety that is out there, and yours sounds really special.

Bart

Unread 11-14-2001, 03:25 AM   #5
JuergenG
User

Congrats for this piece.

Just a little additional info:

The "+" on the mag always indicates, that it is the

spare magazine.

Juergen