LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 02-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
MarkC
User

Default Shoot out at the range.

Guys,

In the last two weeks I acquired two new Lugers. One is an all matching except the mag 1938 S/42 and the other a totally mismatched 1937 dated gun. I just had to do a Luger shoot!

American Eagle 125 grain bullets and the Winchester 115 grain bulk pack was the ammunition. 350 rounds total between all three guns.

It was an all Luger afternoon with the 1938 S/42, a Russian forced matched rework and the new gun. 3 Lugers and two hours to burn. The mags included Meg-Gar , WWII and and a Russian rework from the Russian gripped gun with a restamped serial number.

I used the S/42 as my control since it was all matching and I didn't shoot more than 50 rounds through her.

The Russian rework had one or two jams since I think some of the springs are soft. The mismatched gun had miserable hold open falures with all of the 7 mags I used. The old, renumbered mag jammed horribly with all three guns and was set aside.

So, I did a little range gunsmithing and swapped out the hold opens from the Russian gun to the mismatched gun. It seems the spring on the hold open, mismatched gun, was a little stiff and may have contributed to the problem.

Then, flawless performance from both pistols ..... the mismatched gun had a 42 marked hold open which I think is an armorer replacement. The Russian gun's hold open was not numbered.

Both guns work great and are excellent shooters! Damn! I love this stuff.

That was a really fun afternoon.

The Russian gun has a hair trigger, the mismatched gun is nice but I did get more accurate groups with the Russian gun because of the trigger.

The matched gun functioned flawlessly but did not want to shoot her any more after 50 rounds since she is my "keeper".

If requested, I will post photos of the guns on Sunday before the big game.

GO PATS!

Mark
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
PACKET
User

Sounds like alot of fun!! A couple weeks ago we had our last day of deer season here in Florida. We came out of our stands about 11:30 and proceeded to have our season end cookout. Back strap, london broil, some mighty spicy chicken, and some oysters. Then we shot clay birds for money, I lost most of mine. After that, I brought out my LP08. What a complete joy. Flawlwss operation, and everybody wanted to shoot it. At one point I had people 4 deep in line to have a try. Didnt take long to go through 200 rounds. A great day with great friends, it doesnt get any better.
PACKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2005, 09:43 PM   #3
Ron Smith
User

Damn, I'm jealous! Did'nt get to go out today.
Packet,
They do draw attention don't they. I love the reaction when people see them. Most people who are'nt into Lugers, know a 4" Luger by sight, but very few have ever seen an Artillery.
Mark,
You're hooked Bud! I can tell by your post. It looks like we're going to have more competition in the Luger market.
You need to get a long barrel. If you think 4"ers are fun, just wait. Find a nice Artillery with a buttstock. And try some 100-200 yd shooting with it.
And do post some pictures.
Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
MarkC
User

Ron,

I have pics of all the guns used that day but didn't post them because of the big game on Sunday.

In my collection of "shooters" there is a Mauser toggle 8" gun which had the barrel added to a 4" pistol. Will post the photos as soon as I can.

Mark
Unread 02-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
MarkC
User

OK .... here are the pics.

The first photo is my control gun, a Luger I just got from a local plummer for $500.00. (another long story)

Next the Russian gun.

Next a mismatched shooter that is getting a new 6" barrrel with Hughs help.

Lastly my 8" shooter. Perhaps someone can identify what it was before the rebarrel, certainly not an artillery Luger!

Mark