LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-24-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
rayalbers
User

Post how to clear a jam?

At times (maybe once in 30 - 50 rounds) my 1938 S-42 shooter fails to fully extract (or eject?) the spent casing, and the next round jams up with the tapered end of the bullet under the spent casing, which seems to be partially extracted.

So at this point, I can't remove the magazine because the new cartrige is partly out of the magazine. What I do is to find some way to manually hold the toggle fully back, and use a screwdriver or the tip of a takedown tool to pry out the spent casing - actually, "slide" might be a better word than "pry" and the problem does not seem to be cartrige binding in the chamber, because once I finally get my hands steadied from the strain of holding open the toggle, the casing slides out pretty easily but boy, I wish I had about four more hands and arms to execute this maneuver! Especially because, once the casing has slid out, I still have to turn the pistol over so the casing will fall out, and at this point sometimes I lose my grip on the toggle and have to start all over. Is there an easier/better way?

As to why it fails to extract, I've read the posts under the malfunctioning Luger thread and they are helpful. I do have a mis-matched extractor. The bluing has worn away a bit on one side, so I've stoned it a bit to make sure it is smooth and not binding. The spring seems pretty stiff, but when I examine the lower edge - the curved part that I guess is supposed to match the curve of the casing - I see that one corner is chipped away - picture this elipsis ) with the upper edge flattened a bit. This is probably the root of my problem.

Anyway - any tips on clearing the jam when it happens??

Ray
rayalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

When not jammed get a pencil or wooden dowel, pull toggle all the way to the rear, cut off at a length so that it will snugly fit with one end against bolt and other end against chamber edge. This will hold the toggle to the rear and allow you to use both hands to clear jam. Also by using a dowel or cleaning rod its sometimes easier to clear out a casing by pushing it out.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 08:16 AM   #3
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ray, It sounds like it's time to replace your extractor. TH
Unread 06-25-2004, 09:49 AM   #4
Sieger
User

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Lugerdoc:
<strong>Ray, It sounds like it's time to replace your extractor. TH</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">If the extractor isn't balled-up, I'd try the extractor spring first.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
rayalbers
User

Thanks guys. Good advice.

I now have a piece of dowel and a rod in my bag. And, if my cleaning, polishing and light oiling doesn't drastically reduce the jamming incidents, I'll look for replacement and/or spring (albeit the spring still feels pretty stiff - at least to my uneducated fingers)

Ray
rayalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
Thor
User

you ought to be able to remove the mag, then put in an empty one to fully lock back the toggle? Maybe I am missing something, if so, ...nevermind!
I reread the post and saw you couldnt do it. The extractor must have a good lip to catch the round edge, and it must be able to freely rock back and forth with thumb pressure to get unimpeded movement and it needs a strong spring to grab onto the round. Does it feed manually and eject manually okay? (Caution with loaded ammo) I have dummy rounds I loaded for this purpose, they are without powder and primer so they are inert, just the bullet and case. You can also remove the firing pin before checking for manual feeding and ejecting with loaded ammo. It may not exactly duplicate what is happening with the cycle, but it MIGHT indicate which of the three items (lip, movement, spring strength) is a problem. Be worth a try.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,186 Posts
Hi,

Sometimes a bullet gets stuck halfway up the ramp in these situations, thus blocking removal of the magazine.

What I did in those cases was push the spent case that didn't eject back into the chamber, then push the 'halfway' bullet back into the magazine (have small fingers), remove the magazine, pull up the holdopen and remove the spent case.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote