LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 12-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
John Pepera
User

Default Wax versus Oil preservation.

Recently I read a couple of articles debating the pros and cons concerning the preservation of guns with wax versus oil.

The conclusion of both articles leaned toward oil for the interior and wax on the exterior.

I stripped, cleaned and changed over a few of my guns to wax and I like the results. The wax seems longer lasting and more durable and after handling a gun, your hands are left clean and dry as opposed to oil.

The articles elaborated between modern, active guns as opposed to antique non firing guns, swords and other metal collectables where they concluded that wax was the preference for the above reasons.

Any thoughts, experiences or preferences?

John
peppers1@ameritech.net
John Pepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The main caveat I see with wax is that it can trap moisture underneath. In climates like South Florida this is an issue. Wax is not a moisture displacer like most good oils are.
Years ago I took a friend to purchase his first pistol. He bought a Berretta 92. Some time later I asked to see the gun again. He was reluctant to bring it out but when coaxed, finally showed me his new pistol with its barrel and slide covered with pitting and rust. He had stopped on the way home from our first range session to purchase a cleaning kit. He also purchased a spray wax product from Remington and liberally applied it to the gun without first wipping it down or cleaning it, figuring he would get to it later. A ruined pistol that had only been shot once.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Olle
User

I really like this product: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...UST-PREVENTION

In my opinion, this is the best product you can use on guns that you just want to preserve and not shoot. I believe it's a mix of wax and some petroleum based solvent, so the bulk of it will evaporate and just leave a very thin wax film on the parts. It also has extremely low surface tension, so it tends to spread and creep like no other product I have seen. I dip or brush the parts, dab off the excess and let them dry overnight, this will displace water and leave a very thin waxy film which protects well. Granted, it's not as hard and dry as carnauba wax, but it's way easier to apply and not nearly as greasy as oil. You will also need to use a little lubrication on some moving parts if you intend to shoot the gun.

Edit: I might better add that I have heard about people using car wax. Some types of car wax also contain a fine polishing compound, and I wouldn't use anything like that on a gun. If I were to use wax, I would make sure that it's pure wax and nothing else.

Last edited by Olle; 12-07-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
John Pepera
User

Thank you both for your replies and thoughts.

If using any wax, of course I would not use any with any inherent cleaners for that's not our intended purpose.

John
John Pepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
LugerVern
User

I have used wax for display guns for about 30 years,while living near the coast. ( salt spray environment) If done properly it will provide protection to the outer finish and no harm will result. The advantage is in the durability, you can go a couple of years between treatments. I use to travel a great deal I know this to be true.

I treat the inside parts with a good sealant, usually this is petroleum based and more like a waxy grease.

On gold inlayed guns you must be careful in applying high tech sealants as some will remove the gold, not good for the value.

In my purest days I used boiled linseed oil on internal surfaces, this is the same as DWM did in the early days, it provides long duration protection but does eventually break down and allow rust, this you may not be able to see beneath the dried oil.

Of note: I have been lucky a few times in purchasing early guns at a substantial discount price that appeared to be rust buckets but this was just dried linseed oil, once home they cleaned up very nicely.

As with everything it is in the application, wax is not for everyday used guns, I would say its not even for occasionally used guns.

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Olle
User

Vern,

That's an impressive track record, so it would be interesting to know what kind of wax do you use and how you apply it. I'd say that the preserving qualities of wax are kind of like paint, i.e. they depend just as much on the prep and application as on the wax itself.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote