LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
ndawoods25
New User

Default Luger Info

I have tried to get myself familiar with the Luger P08 since last year. I went to the Military trade show in Louisville Ky last year and almost had me a Luger. Nice shooter. Numbers matched, no rust. He wanted $800, I had 700 cash. He would not come down a 100. I asked if he took credit. He sad no. I will be heading south once again for the show. This year I will have plenty of cash on hand in case I want to buy a nice Luger. How do you tell if a luger is 30 cal or 9mm. The 9 I picked up, I didnt see any markings to tell me it was a 9mm. Im still learning alot about the Lugers, And I WILL own one for the history. I wont collect, I will shoot it.
ndawoods25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Eddie,

They were not marked for cartridge caliber.

A #2 pencil will easily go down the barrel of a 9mm pistol. It won't fit down a .30 Luger barrel.

You'll generally find that the commercial DWM Lugers from the 1920s in .30 Luger are less expensive than the military proofed ones.

Since you want to shoot it, look for a less expensive 9mm Luger that is mis-matched. It will be less expensive than an all matching pistol, and you won't lose any value if a part breaks.

From time to time, you'll see "shooter" grade Lugers show up here in the for sale section. They should be priced close to what you wanted to spend, and can be shipped to a nearby FFL for handling the paperwork.

Marc

Marc
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

9mm military Lugers will have the bore dimensions marked on the underside of most barrels. The dimension will be somewhere between 8.81mm to 8.85mm. If it has no markings, then the pencil test described below will give you a good indication.

The 9mm chamber is almost straight-walled, but slightly tapered... the 7.65mm or .30 caliber chamber is of course bottle-necked in shape.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
ndawoods25
New User

Thanks for the replies guys. Didnt think anyone was going to give me an answer. I have watched the For sale section here, but I'd prefer to be able to check it out in hand to make my decision. Im sure I can find one at the louisville miltary trade show in Feb. Trying to find with with descent finish, dont like rust pits. Dont matter to me about numbers. I will have a shooter and a piece of history.
ndawoods25 is offline   Reply With Quote