LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-10-2001, 01:46 AM   #1
Mike T.

Default Brown Widows

AIM has on their website in the one-of-kind category a S42/40 with "original Brown German plastic Black widow grips".

Are there in fact any Lugers issued with original brown plastic grips? They look checkered in the photo and not the VOPO bullseye variety.

Thanks.

Unread 06-10-2001, 05:33 AM   #2
Sherry Cook

Default Re: Brown Widows

Mike,

One of the things I have found in collecting German weapons; watch the sales pitches from dealers. The brown grips may very well, and probably are, "Original German" grips. They just don't tell you when they were made. None were ever used by Mauser on a production basis that I am aware of. Kreighoff used some, but they would be wrong for a Mauser. They are probably East German in my opinion and not original to the pistol.

Marvin

Unread 06-10-2001, 10:35 AM   #3
mac

A luger collecting friend recently indicated to me that an article in AutoMag reports some original mauser-made lugers had the brown grips usually found only on Krieghoff lugers. He actually found someone who had such a luger but the gun had been "prettied up" (heavily buffed and reblued) but had the brown plastic grips same as the black bakelites of the period. He traded the guy for the grips by offering him some pretty new walnut grips.

Anything is possible but very few must exist. I have a pair of the brown plastic grips that came off some Russian reworked P08s (dip blued--all the grips were taken off other pistols, etc). I just assumed the grips came off a Krieghoff luger but could have been off a 1940 mauser P08.

By the way, in all teh Russian imports seen in the past ten years, I have not seen a single Krieghoff. Who nailed all the HK's?

Unread 06-10-2001, 10:57 AM   #4
Mike T.

Thanks for the info, guys. I guess AIM knew what they were doing when they put this in the "one-of-a-kind" section.

Unread 06-10-2001, 10:57 AM   #5
Thor
User

Krieghoffs, early ones, but the 1940 and 1942 Krieghoffs on LugersUSA have Brown grips which IS WRONG, those should be Black like a black widow's also. JEEZZ, you'd think if they would going to sell a $3500 gun they would get it right! Thor

Unread 06-10-2001, 12:07 PM   #6
Wombat
User

AIM Surplus is an excellent company and I've bought from them 3-4 times... All guns have been excellent or above my expectations. Also, they have cheap ammo if you buy in bulk!

I am considering buying one of the P-38's they have up for sale...

I know they are the CAI import, but they were originally going for 600-700 or some crazy amount. $550 isn't too bad, cause I know AIM always has good quality, handpicked items... You can also swap or return items if you are not happy also.

They are a bit slow on shipping however,..

---Wombat

Unread 06-10-2001, 01:51 PM   #7
Mike T.

I did not intend to dis AIM; on the items I have ordered from them they have provided absolute top value and service.

In fact, I ordered a Luger for a shooter from them when they had that big shipment last August. It did not feed properly, and Bryan immediately asked if I would accept a black widow in its place. I agreed, and he sent one which was virtually mint and which I could not force myself to fire for several weeks because I did not want to debase anything in such good condition (almost Ted quality!). Fortunately, I got over that hangup, and I now

have the most coveted and best-shooting handgun on the range. I actually was just curious ever there were legitimate brown plastic grips.

In short, AIM good. Me like AIM.

Unread 06-10-2001, 06:23 PM   #8
bill m
User

Hi Ted, and all,

The 1940 Krieghoff can have brown plastic grips. That is correct on the early ones.

The 1940 code 42 can have the brown krieghoff grips. There are not many of these that are the real original thing, but they are correct. 1940 code 42's are the ONLY variations that I know of that are correct with these grips.

Unread 06-10-2001, 06:37 PM   #9
Thor
User

What about the dated 1942 that had brown grips? Thanks Bill! Hope you are doing better, I know it is tough! Glad to see you back! Thor

Unread 06-11-2001, 09:51 AM   #10
tom h

If AIMS brown plastic grips have the wide uncheckered borders, they may in fact be KH. but I have also received Russian reworks from them with new Russian brown or black FULLY CHECKERED (no borders) plastic grips.

Unread 06-11-2001, 11:24 AM   #11
Tracy

Will let you know on the grips. I just talked to Bryan at AIM and bought the Luger. It was one of those that had come in the batch about four years ago. Steve the owner had set it aside for himself but has now decided to get rid of some of the that he had been holding. Bryan said grips are fine Brown checkering with a border so will be interesting to see what I bought. If I'm lucky they will be Kriegoff if not will have a 42/1940 for sale as the one I originally got from them can take some upgrading but WILL STILL MAKE A FINE SHOOTER.

Unread 06-11-2001, 11:27 AM   #12
Tracy

Wombat. Bryan said they only had the one P38. They are working on some items but did not or could not tell me what they were.