LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
oldiron1
User

Default Help to ID DWM Luger Please?

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum, and the world of Lugers for that matter although I've always been interested in war era firearms.

A friend of mine has a Luger that he purchased from an estate/collection a few years back and asked me to make him an offer on it. I've realized very quickly that there are so many variations and I became confused quickly!

Here is what I know about the gun:

On the top is the DWM script/logo

I believe the serial number is stampted into the front of the frame, just in front/above the trigger guard. The number is 895. Under that number, stamped is GERMANY. (I assume meaning German export gun?) I found the full serial number to be 895L. All of the parts I've noticed have the number 95 stamped in them, so I'm thinking that it's a numbers matching gun. In two spots, I noticed a mark that looks sort of like a cursive lower case "n".

There is a butt stock lug. There is no grip safety.

The word "Gesichert" is behind the safety lever.

It has it's original .30 cal barrel that has a matching serial number which measures 3" from where the tappering starts to the front. There is no date stamped into it like many that I've seen, however it does have 95 stamped indicating that it's the original barrel to the gun. Also included is a 9mm barrel, which I'm sure is not original, but in very nice condition.

The overall condition is very good. I'd est. 70%ish and includes the 9mm barrel, two magazines that I'm pretty sure are original as they are completely metal and two extra sets of grips.

By the info above, is the variation and the estimated age able to be determined?

What other distinguishing characteristics are there that I should look for?

I know pictures are needed and value is hard to estimate, however would there be a ball park value that could be estimated? (I'd really like to purchase it, but want to know it's real value)

Thanks in advance for any education! I'm really excited to start learning more about this pistol.
oldiron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Sounds like you may have an 'alphabet commercial' The 'L' block was made from late 1922 to most of 1923.

Is there a crown over an 'N' anywhere. Especially on the right side of the frame and underside of the barrel?

Fn
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
oldiron1
User

Thanks FN,

I honestly can't remember, but will take a look tonight and let you know.

If it has the N marking, would the crowned "N" indicate it being a "commercial" gun?

I'll try to take some decent pictures and post them as well.

Thanks again!
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

A Crown over "N" is a commercial "Nitro" proof that was not used on military guns.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

OH, and it should be on the left front frame. Not the right.
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
MFC
User

Norm,
Close but no cigar... left front receiver.
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
oldiron1
User

Thanks guys!

I did notice the "N" with a crown over it on the front/left side of the receiver as well as on the bottom side of the barrel. So, it appears that this Luger is one of the more "common" Commercial models judging by the N's and the word "GERMANY" under the serial number on the front of the frame?

It appears that every part on this pistol is numbers matching after looking it over.

The extra 9mm barrel/receiver is stamped 1920, then 1918 under it, however I'm sure the receiver must have been picked up along the way. It's in beautiful shape with and excellent bore, rifling and bluing.

The pistol has two magazines with it, neither of which are marked. One has a metal bottom, while the other appears to be of a wood material. What style magazine would be original to this pistol?

Here are a couple of pictures I took before my camera died last night, so I didn't get any good up-close pictures of the marking yet:

Included with the pistol are two magazines, the extra/additional 9mm barrel/receiver, an extra set of, I believe wood Luger grips in nice shape, an extra set of black plastic Luger grips, a spring kit and (4) very old boxes of .30 cal ammo.

What would be a fair ball park value? I'd really like to have this pistol and want to make sure I offer a fair price for it.

Thanks again!
Unread 10-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The barrel/receiver is worth $250+. The wood and Black plastic grips, if original, could add $300 or more to the overall package. If you could post photos, front and back of both sets of grips the forum can give you the value of these as well.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
oldiron1
User

Thanks Alanint,

I will take pictures tonight, of the additional barrel/receiver, grips and ammo.

I'm in a situation where my friend who owns the pistol and I are in the midst of a trade deal involving alot of different things and I know I'll end up with this Luger which I am most excited about being that it originally came from a collection that included a WW2 1911 that I have. I am especially excited about having this particular pair of pistols "reunited" for personal reasons.

It would just make me feel better about the trade we're working out to know that this Luger package is worth something, even though I'll never sell it.

In the mean time, I've just been having a lot of fun learning about Luger's, their history, all of the variations which is mind boggling to me and this gun in particular!
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
MFC
User

Rob,
Add pics of the mags too. There can be a several hundred dollar difference between original and repo mags.
BTW, An unmarked wood bottom mag is correct for this Luger.
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
oldiron1
User

Thanks again guys,

I've been having problems with my digital camera recently as the auto-focus feature seems to work when it wants to, but I got the below pictures. After looking at the parts closely, here is what I've found:

Extra 9mm Barrel/receiver: The top of the receiver is marked with two dates: 1920, then below it, 1918. The barrel is 3 7/8" long. The serial number on the side of the receiver is 3173 with a matching number extractor. There is the german waffle mark stamp in it as well on the right side of the receiver. The bluing is very nice, as is the bore/rifling. The left side of the barrel is what looks like a crown over the letters "RC".

Mags: The mag in the pistol is all metal and unmarked. The second mag has the wood (I believe) bottom. The only marking I see is the letter "P" stamped into the side.

Black Plastic Grips: One grip has a small chunk taken out of it as the picture shows. I see no markings on either grips.

Wood Grips: These grips look great! I see no cracks/breaks/missing chunks anywhere. I also see no markings on either of them.

Ammo: The Winchester box looks very old. The Fiochi boxes don't look as old. All boxes are full.

Please let me know your thoughts....Thanks again for the help and education!!