LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Jim53
User

Default Trigger function

I am new to Lugers and to this forum so forgive me if this question has been covered somewhere else here. I finally got to take my two new (to me) Lugers to the range yesterday. A 1920 DWM commercial in .30 Luger and a 1916 Erfurt 9mm. Both are original with matching numbers. The DWM shot as expected with a crisp and predictable trigger. When I shot the Erfurt for the first time the trigger pull was so heavy I thought perhaps the firing pin hadn't reset. Keeping in mind I have never before fired a Luger. My questions are how do the triggers work on these pistols? Could one or more springs be worn out causing this heavy trigger pull condition or is this a common thing for Lugers? And lastly, if I change the springs would it decrease the value of the pistols? I don't plan to shoot the 1916 very often but would like to enjoy them. Thanks for any help.

Jim
Jim53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Railsplitter
User

To describe the interplay of the trigger, trigger lever and sear bar that takes place when one pulls the trigger on a luger would get rather wordy (if I tried to do it). It may help to watch the animation on the home page of this forum and try to see the sequence of :
1) Trigger pulls back.
2) Trigger lever pushes inward on forward end of sear bar.
3) Back end of sear bar rotates "outward" and releases firing pin.

Personally, I have noticed a wide variation of trigger pulls on lugers. Going from "long and creepy" to "slicker than snot". I have a S/42 1938 Nazi Military re-blue I use as a shooter and the trigger pull is excellent. It breaks a split second before you expect it to break. I took that pistol and another luger to a gunsmith to see if they could duplicate the trigger pull. He said something along the lines of "These are military pistols, not target pistols. The trigger pull is what it is and that is that". I am sure there are others out there skilled enough to modify the luger trigger mechanism if deemed necessary by the owner of the pistol.

Have you field stripped it and given it a good cleaning ? This may help the pull. Especially if the mechanism is "gummed-up".

Sorry I can't comment with any authority on the effect of changing springs other than to say I don't "Think" it would hurt the value. There are others on this forum with the knowledge to speak to that question.

Enjoy your pistols !!
Railsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Kitkat041836
RIP

Thumbs up Trigger pull

Hi Jim
Give me a call and I will be glad to help you get a great trigger
pull.
Thanks George
P.S. My phone number is 1-(510)-523-6682
Kitkat041836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Jim53
User

Thanks for the information. The pistol is clean. I think it is just the "military trigger" issue. I did a little more in depth study of the mecanism and think that if the springs were weak the trigger pull would be lighter. I own several 1911A1 pistols (is that a bad word here?)from WWII and one in particular has a horrendous trigger pull. Anyway, thanks for the help and George I will take you up on that phone call.

Jim
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

The E-book titled the Luger Mechanical Features, by Gerard Henrotin will provide some very excellent illustrations on the mechanics of what makes a Luger tick... Highly recommended for new Luger enthusiasts... and it costs less than $10 the last time I checked...

http://www.poudlard.com/ebooks/luger1.zip to download.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,325 Posts

Yes, Gerard Henrotin's book(s) is (are) quite helpful. Basically, it will walk you through tuning your trigger pull with descriptions and pictures. I'll echo his caveat, go easy...by not taking care to minimize material removal or maintain the correct angles in the interrelated parts, you risk turning it into a full auto gun! If you have an Arkansas stone and some emery paper you're equipped. Oops, almost forgot, always stabilize your work in a non-marring setup such as a vise with non-metallic pads on the jaws.

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Arizona Slim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I'll echo his caveat, go easy...by not taking care to minimize material removal or maintain the correct angles in the interrelated parts, you risk turning it into a full auto gun.

Excellent advice from David. At one time I owned a Remington semi-auto .22 that had a very hard trigger pull, I kenw to be careful using the stone on my sear and trigger so lightly took a little metal off before putting it back together, I did this several times before it felt about right, I took it out to the range and to my chagrin I had a full automatic. Needless to say I immediately ordered new parts, as we all know the BATFE frowns on this sort of thing.
Arizona Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Jim53
User

Thanks for the input but I doubt I will monkey with the Erfurt. I have slicked up actions and done home gunsmithing but I would be afraid of ruining a non replaceable part. It seems that every part on that pistol is numbered. I will simply shoot it occasionally and live with the trigger pull. I was just curious about springs and how they affect the trigger pull. Thanks again!