LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 11-11-2003, 05:36 AM   #1
Edward Tung
User

Post Found a 1915 DWM artillery

The gun is in pretty good condition and has what I believe to be a matching mag. The bottom is kinda worn down so the serial numbers are barely visible but with a magnifier, I can just make out the numbers. The mag body is a nickle color and not blued. The gun itself looks to be about 96-98% and the straw is about 90%. I don't know much about artillery lugers so I figured I should ask you guys what a good price on this piece assuming it is original and my judgement of condition is correct? Thanks
Edward Tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2003, 09:00 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
Edward, I always get a bit nervous when I see a well used magazine and a 96% gun. If it is that nice a shape, why wouldn't the magazine still be with it?

That isn't to say that magazines don't get seperated from the gun, as that obviously happens. I just find it amazing that guns used since WW1 are in such nice shape?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2003, 09:51 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Edward,

Can you post photographs of the gun? It would sure help to narrow the margin of error for a value.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2003, 05:44 PM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Tung,
a 1915 artillery is a tough date to find for collectors. To find one with matching mag or two is tougher. To find one with a matching mag and stock is REAL tough. Since these additions do affect the price, it would be hard to give a price estimate. The serial number on your mag must not only match the serial number on the frame but the small cap must also be on the magazine and match. That small cap, if there is one, is part of the official serial number and must be there for it to be a matching mag.
Big Norm

(Explanation Note by admin-JS I am sure Norm meant "lowercase character" by the term "small cap" but a new guy may not know that... I used to live in Michigan for a short time and got to know the dialect )
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts
Edward, I believe the 1915 DWM LP08 is second only to the 1914 DWM LP08 in scarcity. Given that, a 75% 1915 piece should be worth $1500 to $2000 but that may not be the case. Certainly the lucky buyer can find one cheaper.

I have found that collectors vary...many don't know what they are buying and pay premiums for boosted pieces (I was one of these in an earlier life), others wait/hunt a lifetime for the right piece. Others buy what is available with the hope of up-grading in the future as better examples are found.

I have seen many fine but boring 1917's go for more than $2000 over the last two years. All things being equal...stock, mags, holster; a 70% 1915 is worth more than a 95% 1917.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2003, 05:40 AM   #6
Edward Tung
User

I'm going to try to get some pictures. Based upon my assumptions that things are correct and as I noted, what would be a fair value for this piece?
Edward Tung is offline   Reply With Quote