LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-09-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Post Another auctioneer offers a piece of faked Luger history

This is a paperweight being offered on ebay...

Auction link-Click here!

Fake Luger Paperweight

If you know your Luger models and look closely at the graphic of the Luger on this paperweight... you can tell easily why they wouldn't have used this graphic in 1936.

It looks like an old catalog illustration that was cut out and modified (probably by computer graphics) and placed on this engraving or etching.

By 1936, it would more likely have been a Mauser P-08 model, with no grip safety (but look at the safetly bar shown in the up position, The safetly lever shown in the up position, and the bare spot where the safety lever would have been in the safe or gesichert position).

This graphic is a very early Model Luger and the grip safety has been "erased" to look more like a standard model P-08... no stock lug is shown. I doubt that the SS would have given away paperweights with such shoddy workmanship.

Even the German printing is flawed... No unlauts!

Sheesh! and he is asking FIFTY dollars for this piece of junk! People never cease to amaze me...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 05:02 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

John, I think you are right. Additionally, the SS didn't take over real power until 1934 when the SA under Ernst Roehm (Hitler's previous WWI Company Commander and SA compatriot)were liquidated in the "Night of Long Knives". Difficult to have a memento from duty from an organization in power for three years that didn't really become a military organization until years later. There was a strong post WWI sementality. I've got a WWI Regimental pipe and stein marked with the same "In Errinerung..ect". The Luger prior to alteration would be matching to the time, the other to the mood of the post WWI era. Do away with the runes, add the safety and a 1918 date and it could be genuine. (I do however see an umlaut)

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
Aaron
Banned

I have one of these paperweights and about nine months ago I posted a photo of it on this very forum. There are two possible explanations for its existence. The first is that is was a souvenir piece distributed to former SS troops at a postwar convention in the late forties, or more probably, the early fifties. The second explanation is that it is a total fantasy piece and may have been manufactured in England in the early fifties. It probably does have a value of around $50. Can you tell us where it is being listed for sale?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 05:35 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
Talking

Auction link-Click here!

Fake Luger Paperweight

Go to the top Aaron and click on Johns link and it should take you there.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 06:35 PM   #5
Roadkill
User

England is/was also the producer of the infamous SS butterfly knives. The stuff does however look good.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote