LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 10-29-2006, 02:26 AM   #1
shadow
User

Default Good to be back online

Glad the shutdown is over, I was suffering from withdraw!!!
Unread 10-29-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Steinar
User

phef.. almost sold my Lugers and stopped collecting there for a moment..
Unread 10-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

John D.

Thanks for your prompt attention to the Forum server on your return! You were definitely missed... Hope your trip was even more successful than you had planned...

-John S

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
c3006
User

I lurk over at jans place but feel at home here, Thanks John for looking over this place. clint
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:14 AM   #5
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It is not often that people are willing to do things in person. So I hope John D's trip has and will bear fruit.
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ditto the above. It's nice to be back on a user-friendly site again. TH
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
Hugh
RIP

Wheeee......those withdrawal pains are baaaad!!
Unread 10-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Folks,

My thanks.. It's nice to be home... Jen & I arrived back last night about 1:30 AM (Saturday night) from nearly two weeks outside the USA - without an Internet connection, access to e-mail (or TV, or telephone, or a flushing toilet, or potable water, or, most of the time â?? the simple convenience of electricity..).

This morning - I was struggling with a reply to you all as to where we've been, for what purpose and how we feel after our trip. But for all that thought before posting - I'm still speechless. I can't come up with the right words for you to read. After going through hundreds of photos - with hundreds more yet to be developed - I thought I might be able to show you a single picture which might begin to capture the essence of my thoughts and range of emotions which span humility, being daunted, humbled and deeply saddened. There is no such single photo to share - simply a mosaic of images of abject poverty, proud people and children who have no parents, no shelter - and little hope in a country which is plagued by unemployment rates reaching 90%.

I know this experience has affected me in many ways. All were unexpected. All are powerful changes instituted by the mere fact that before - I didn't know how to care for people in a distant land who quietly lead lives of simple desperation. I'm not sure today - I can comprehend the efforts required to make a difference in a miniscule part of the world to a handful of orphans?

In short, imagine the worst inner city conditions in the USA - now double the strife, destitution homelessness, and then extrapolate those same conditions across the entire country. Can you imagine? I, now can, as it exists. I witnessed it first-hand.

What I will say - is that I didn't choose this path, rather - I know now, it chose me. Nor did I choose the orphans, orphanage and homeless, as they again - chose me.

But, since the Good Lord chose me for the spokesman for this cause, and I have no idea *why* - I know I'll find the right words, the right pictures and the right path. In the meantime, just know your thoughts, wishes and prayers are the basis to be able to begin this journey.

And your patience and support while this Forum was off-line, is more appreciated than you may realize.

My thanks for that â?? and yes, again - it is nice to be homeâ?¦

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

You and your wife are good people John D. Thanks for everything you do. Bill
Unread 10-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Bill, Hugh, Tom, John S., Morgan... Well - Everyone!!

My thanks...... But -

I can't seem to figure out what to post - or why...

But here is one - of many hundreds of the pictures I took. This one rocks me more than you may know. When I look at it - I kind'a know what I'm doing with all this...

Here is the story behind the picture....

I do not know this young mans name. I wish I did. I do not. He approached me on a beach to sell a shell. I did not buy it - but rather, started talking to him.

This young man is nine years old. He has no father. He has a mother and three younger sisters/brothers. He does not go to school, as schools are "expensive" (about $US 100 per year). Rather, he has been told that he must support his mother and family by bringing home money from begging on the beach. He lives in Port Salut, Haiti.

Anyway - a few minutes after this photo, several of his friends showed up, as this young gentleman and I were simply chatting on the beach. In one swift move - his friend pulled up the shirt of the child in the photo - and his chest/stomach was emblazoned with red raw flesh wounds, which appeared as if he were whipped by a cane.

I asked this young man "Who did that?".

His reply, in French -"My Mother. She beat me when I spent some money to eat for me, instead of if I give it to her..."

I asked when he gave his mother any money what happens to it? He said "she drinks the money".

I don't know his name. In this photo - I wish I did..

John D.

John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

wow John, it is amazing how we as free people live so wonderful compared to these poor kids and folks. I see that we don't have the only misguided parents who drink and abuse kids. I am sure this was hard for you to face, but I am glad you have the chance to experience and help as you are trying...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2006, 02:49 AM   #12
Steinar
User

It is hard to find the right words replying to your story, I truly respect your important work in Haiti. A place where childbirth often means death.

"In 2004, for every 100,000 births, 523 women died in Haiti (compared to eight maternal deaths for every 100,000 births in Europe). But in the last two years, the statistics in Haiti have probably worsened due to the increasing violence."
This is taken from Medecins Sans Frontieres webside (Doctors without Borders in english). An international organization of doctors from several nations, working in the worlds worst places. Supporting their work comes naturly to me. Best to you John D!
Unread 10-31-2006, 08:50 PM   #13
waltherguy
User

John.. Very glad to have the forum back. but most importantly.. what amazing work you were doing! Really makes me think.. and be thankfull for how blessed we really are!
Unread 10-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #14
pipeman45
User

John thanks for getting the boards back up and running. The time it was down is worth it now that we know how your time was spent.
God bless you and your wife.
Unread 10-31-2006, 10:59 PM   #15
lugerluser
User

Oh stupid me, i guess it was NOT just MY PC! Maybe i should not have thown it at the wall. You don't know what you have, till it's gone!