LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
marl
User

Default WHat is this?

I got this from a guy and I dont know what iit is. It looks like a luger but maybe it isn't. On the left side ot has Kal 9 Kurz/.380. Then under that it has, ERMA-WERKE Mod KGP 68 A. On the right it has Excam INC, HIALEAH, FLORIDA. At least I know how to take it apart, but is it the real deal, or just a fake, worth nothing. Oh the handels are brass too. I'll try to post some pics as soon as I figure out how to on here. Ok guys thanks.
marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
marl
User

Default Pix of it

Heres some pix

I know you guys can help tell me what this is, and if its trash or not. Thanks.
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Marl,

Welcome to the Lugerforum... the .380 Erma KGP 68 is a Luger look-a-like... not a Luger... but some folks like them. They haven't been made in a couple of decades... parts may be hard to come by if you break something... keep your eye on ebay for spares...

It is interesting to see the brass grips. If they are truely brass and not plastic, then those are not original, and are probably custom.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
marl
User

Hey thanks for the welcome. Thanks for the info too. Yea I thought the gripps were wood. They were all dull looking. So get this I kid you not. I stuck the gun in the fridge because I didnt want my wife to see it. When I went back to get it, I started whiping the frost off the gripps and they polished right up!! Brass! Learned 2 things last night. 1 the gripps are brass, 2 I didnt know you could polish brass by just freezing it for a while. Ill take some more pics and post. Even tough I havent finnished polishing them, at least you can see.
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
Ponyman
User

Hi marl, and welcome to the Forum!

It's not a Luger, although it's often mistakenly called a "baby Luger" because of the physical resemblance. But it's not a "fake", either. What it is: exactly how it is marked - an Erma KGP-68 in .380 Auto. The "A" indicates the modified model: it has a magazine safety - won't fire unless the lever in the cut-out for the left magazine knob is pushed up - required by GCA '68. It differs from the Luger in that it is not a locked-toggle action. The toggle knobs don't lift the middle axle of the toggle to release the breechblock: it's a straight blow-back action. The design was inspired by the Luger, and the original intent was to chamber it for 9mm Parabellum. But the recoil spring necessary for a blow-back in 9mm Luger makes it impossible to cycle the action by hand, so you can't chamber the first round. It won't de-**** the way a Luger will, and both the recoil and the firing pin springs get completely removed during a field-strip. The production run was 1968 to sometime in the '70s. With a 5-round mag, it's not the weapon of choice in a fire-fight - but it's a nice (and cheap) little shooter. It was also offered in 32 ACP with a 6-round mag. There is also a KGP-69 in .22 Long Rifle, with an 8-round mag - and slightly larger dimensions - which was introduced in 1969. If you'd like a pair of checkered brown plastic grips (with right-handed thumb rest) for your gun, see eBay item 7249303494 (not my item).

~Dave
Ponyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
marl
User

Default Brass Gripps

Here they are. Theyre going to look real nice when I polish them up.

Unread 06-21-2006, 03:46 AM   #7
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hi,

You can call them lugers. They are not the brainchild of Hugo Borchardt and Georg Luger, but they are certainly inspired by the original luger design.

John Walter lists them in his 'Luger' and 'The Luger Story'.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Glad you are able to log in again from Tokyo TAC... and submit your humor... this was a dry thread

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
marl
User

Hey thanks a lot everyone. I had to find the thread. Got moved. But thanks a lot for the info. I've allways wanted a real luger so when I saw this. I made a move on it. Im getting closer to getting one I guess. The mechanics of them are so neat. A Luger is not really a pistol, it's a pece of artwork.
Unread 06-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Tac,

Check your Private Messages.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by marl
Hey thanks a lot everyone. I had to find the thread. Got moved. But thanks a lot for the info. I've allways wanted a real luger so when I saw this. I made a move on it. Im getting closer to getting one I guess. The mechanics of them are so neat. A Luger is not really a pistol, it's a pece of artwork.
I left a re-direct, which I usually don't do, so even though it was "moved", all you had to do was go to the same spot and click on the link.

You posted in the forum help area, once you were approved you could post in new collectors, where I "moved" it.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2006, 12:05 AM   #12
Aaron
Banned

Be advised this pistol is largely made of pot metal with a thin steel liner in the barrel. Definitely not intended for longevity.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #13
c3006
User

I really liked the hide it in the fridge idea!!!