LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #1
rufrdr
User

Default Ballpark-ish estimate on 1916 DWM?

A friend has a 1916 DWM that he may want to let go. I haven't seen it in person yet but the pictures he's shared seem to show a 99% finish condition including very nice grips with all exterior numbers matching including the magazine. It is a WW1 bring-back.

Rough value range? I don't want to share the pics since the pistol isn't mine and may never be.

Thanks
rufrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Karl,
That's like asking "How much is a house in Spain?" as my father used to say. To start with, does it have a 4, 6 or 8 inch barrel?
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Many variables. To be collectible should have all matching numbers, all original parts, original finish with as high a coverage as possible. Refinish puts it into shooter category.

DWM made P.08 military Lugers, LP.08 and Navy Lugers in that year. Which is it?
Unread 01-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
rufrdr
User

Sorry, should have been more specific. It is a 4" barrel standard GI type DWM marked 1916. Finish in the pictures appears to be original with very minimal wear, all markings crisp and sharp. It has been in the family since bringing it back from WW1.

I will hopefully be seeing it this week and if I do I'll provide more details.

Thanks!
Unread 01-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Post pictures. If it's all matching (including the grips), and in high original finish condition they range from $1500 to much more depending on whether the magazine is matching and exactly how much wear is visible.

The entire serial number will be on a matching side plate. The first two digits stamped inside toward the bottom in a curved area, and the last two on the outside.

You'll need to post pictures to get anywhere near an accurate estimate on this.

Marc
Unread 01-31-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
RShaw
User

Karl....if I may ask....
What happened finally with your friend's 1916 DWM?
RShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2017, 12:18 AM   #7
rufrdr
User

I got to see it briefly today and held it for a minute or two. I didn't get a chance to look down the bore but the overall condition of the piece is very nice. The finish is a dull blue. He'd like me to strip it down, clean and lube it at some point soon so at that time I'll have a better idea of what he has. It is a 1916 dated piece with the 4 digit SN 9xxx.

Here are two pictures of the pistol that he sent to me:

The following member says Thank You to rufrdr for your post:
Unread 02-01-2017, 02:34 AM   #8
RShaw
User

Yes... looks very nice for sure! I do notice that the left grip has the classic "million dollar chip" just under the safety lever. This would bring the value down somewhat. There are experts on this forum who could repair that I think. Other than that- finish looks good... when you say it is a dull blue, could mean it's been refinished- doesn't look like that from your photos though. Matching magazine too? If so, that would increase the value significantly. If I were you I would go after it.... seems to be more a collectible than a shooter- that question would be settled after checking it according to Marc's post above.

Looking for magazine no. 7097
Venlo, the Netherlands- RShaw
The following member says Thank You to RShaw for your post:
Unread 02-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,523 Times in 940 Posts

My best guess on this is refinished. Color looks wrong for a ww1 luger. May just be the pictures., Bill
Unread 02-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
RShaw
User

This is exactly where it gets difficult for those who have not seen so many examples of refinished pistols versus originals. Judging by a photo adds another layer of difficulty )
Once I have my refinished DWM home I would like to make photos which match the appearance of the pieces themselves to what they really look like in normal daylight- (by a window on an overcast day)
The following member says Thank You to RShaw for your post:
Unread 02-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

I would agree with Bill, that finish colour doesn't convince me for a WWI Luger, would be interesting to see better an more detailed pictures taken without flash at a closer distance. IMHO.
Unread 02-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Based on the 2 photos I'm not seeing anything wrong or scary about the gun. Yes there are some suspicious smudges on the bluing and the grip is chipped.
You had asked about value and no one wants to go out on that limb without better data, but I'll try.
If the gun is 100% matching and with original finish, bore decent, no problems, it could go for as much as $2k. But there are a lot of "if's" there. I'd think $1750 is closer to reality.
On the other hand, if it is mismatched internally, refinished, or otherwise compromised, that figure drops down to the $1000 range.
And that's about as far out on the limb as I'll go without more info. Hope this helps.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
RShaw
User

Would be nice to put together a good Sticky on refinishing versus original...I'm going to visit a Luger friend (and forum member) on the 11th. I know he has refinished and original pieces. Taking some good photos will be a nice challenge....
Unread 02-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Based on the 2 photos I'm not seeing anything wrong or scary about the gun. Yes there are some suspicious smudges on the bluing and the grip is chipped.
You had asked about value and no one wants to go out on that limb without better data, but I'll try.
If the gun is 100% matching and with original finish, bore decent, no problems, it could go for as much as $2k. But there are a lot of "if's" there. I'd think $1750 is closer to reality.
On the other hand, if it is mismatched internally, refinished, or otherwise compromised, that figure drops down to the $1000 range.
And that's about as far out on the limb as I'll go without more info. Hope this helps.
dju
That is pretty far out!

Just look at auctions and sellng prices on Gunbroker for real life data.
Unread 02-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #15
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShaw View Post
Would be nice to put together a good Sticky on refinishing versus original...I'm going to visit a Luger friend (and forum member) on the 11th. I know he has refinished and original pieces. Taking some good photos will be a nice challenge....
I believe you answered your own question before; you just can't tell from pictures.

Really bad refinishing is easy to spot; really good refinishing is not.
Well worn but good/old refinishing can look a lot like original finish.

Just too many variables and no substitute for years of handling and inspecting.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 02-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #16
RShaw
User

To quote your message: "Really bad refinishing is easy to spot; really good refinishing is not.
Well worn but good/old refinishing can look a lot like original finish. Just too many variables and no substitute for years of handling and inspecting."

true.... but one has to have / see / inspect pieces for which the nature of the finishing is definitely KNOWN. Otherwise it still seems to be a fair proportion of guess work and "gut feeling." Gut feeling goes a long way though... I'm not discounting that at ALL.
Unread 02-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #17
4 Scale
User

FAQ over at the J Still forum discusses finish assessment. http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...sked-Questions

To amplify Don's comment, which I agree with, 'years of handling and inspecting' will by definition include in-hand inspection of the genuine article. IMO this is where going to quality shows that include high-quality examples from reputable dealers and experienced collectors will help newbies, as they get to see the real deal up close.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 02-02-2017, 02:07 AM   #18
Geo99
User

As others already said, you can't tell anything from just two pictures, but I would give your friend $1500 for this gun right now.

Rust blue is dull compared to what most people are used to seeing on modern high polish guns. I would use a word like "satin" to try explaining it, but I think "dull" is not a bad description of rust blue, for a newbie.

- Geo
Unread 02-02-2017, 02:16 AM   #19
RShaw
User

Yup... a nice firearm! Good way to spend $1500. Lugers are unique guns- they wake up a desire to "do what you gotta do" (legally and ethically of course) to get that gun into your safe or living room. Don't know if any other make which does that... maybe Colt? Maybe.....
Unread 02-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #20
Geo99
User

Bill -

The color I see looks like all my Imperial Lugers. What color are you looking for?

I do see a lot of variation in finish, from the darker shiny barrel end to the lighter flat-looking ears. The sideplate is probably just an oil smudge. But flash and and oil smudges changes appearance of metal, so I don't trust these pictures too much either.

- Geo