LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 12-25-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
adlerauger
User

Default New Luger addict checking in

I just joined the Forum and have learned more about the Luger and it's endless variations in just a couple of days than I ever thought existed.
I purchased my first Luger two days ago but have to wait until the 5h of January to pick it up. When I can disassemble it and make notes of all the marks and stamps I'll post my findings. In the meantime, from memory, here are some of what I remember;
.30 cal--Ser#9805 k--Crown over N---DWM--05 on all visible exterior parts. Wood based magazine ( not numbered ) and four inch barrel, stock lug and worn but intact grips, with the exception of the dreaded missing piece by the safety. The rifling is shallow ( I have no idea how deep the rifling should be on a Luger. ) but bore is bright and clean. The price was $800 and I traded straight across for a low-end grade Garand that I paid $250 for a couple of years ago. I have more Garands and I couldn't resist getting my first Luger.
I'd appreciate any information the forum would care to give me on my Luger.
Until then,
Merry Christmas
Adler Auger
adlerauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Is it "germany" marked?

Sounds like a commericial version, so most parts shouldn't be marked with the last two.

Not sure of your location, so ...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
adlerauger
User

Default Is it January yet??

Thanks for the rapid response. I don't remember seeing "Germany" stamped anywhere. I COULD have missed it though.
By noon Tuesday, the 5th of January I will have it apart and under a magnifying glass and no doubt will find much that I missed on my initial inspection. I've bought my share of guns over the years but I don't recall ever being this anxious to know everything there is to know about one than I am with this, my first, Luger.
By the way, I looked on the Numrich site for those walnut replacement grips mentioned here on the forum, but all I found were the plastic ones. I plan to call Numrich Monday and find out.
In the meantime, thanks again for the reply, and hope to furnish complete details on my Luger as available.
Merry Christmas,
Adler Auger
Unread 12-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
adlerauger
User

Default Whoops, forget to add this...

I forgot to mention that I live near Los Angeles; Santa Clarita to be exact. I'm within reach of Orange County to the South, and Santa Barbara to the North.
Adler Auger
Unread 12-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
MFC
User

Adler,
From your description it's probably a DWM Alphabet commercial. S#9805k was made late 1922. It should have a 98mm or 3 7/8" barrel. The parts that are numbered (fewer than military variations) are in the commercial/hidden style. Many thousands were sent to the US and export stamped 'GERMANY' or 'MADE IN GERMANY'. Some are bring backs, and won't have the export stamp.
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
adlerauger
User

Default Only ten more days to Lugerville !!!

Thanks guys, your information is greatly appreciated. I may run by the dealer next week and take another gander at my Luger to verify what I saw and whether or not it has a "Germany" stamp; I don't recall one, but then the older I get the more I can't recall! Things like where I parked my car when I come out of a mall.
If I have any additional information before I pick it up on the 5th of January I'll post it.
I've been pouring over the tons of information on this web-site and I can't get over the wealth of knowledge available.
Thanks again,
Adler Auger aka; Dale