LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 05-19-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Default Question on 1900 AE magazines

Original magazines on 1900 commercial AE Lugers have an unnumbered wood base which is shiny and appears to have been varnished. 1920 commercials also have unmarked wood bases (except for the occasional "Germany" marking, and appear to be unvarnished. What other ways can you tell a 1900 from a 1920 magazine?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
trigger643
User

I thought the 1900 / 1920s were the same. Interesting. I guess my minty mag is a 1900 then.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 02:34 AM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Aaron,

I have posed a similar question. It is beginning to appear that the characteristics of Commercial Luger magazines rest on conventional wisdom, which says that 1900 mags are unmarked, and Alphabet Commercial mags are stamped GERMANY--positively enough to be characteristic.

I have not seen any documentation for any of this.

The problem is compounded by the existence of magazines marked only with five digits, a circumstance I have begun to consider in my database.

Don Rousseau, an advanced collector whose Lugers are pictured in Jan Still's books, told me one day that "early" Luger magazines are characterized by a brushed finish. He didn't relate when in the Luger timeline this changed to a flat nickeled finish, but since I have been paying attention I have noted -a lot- of brushed-nickel magazines. I haven't had the opportunity to note whether GERMANY marked mags are brushed or not.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Since so many luger mag bottoms have been changed over the years, this may not be the best means of identification. Many of the late WW1 & Weimar era wood bottoms have light grain streaks, usually at about a 45 degree angle to the plain of the tube. In my experience, the preWW1 commerical wood bottoms are of a solid walnut color. A better means of authenticating the era of a mag, is the type of finish on the tube. Early DWM mags up until about 1916 have the "brushed" (I've been told, Cadnium plating) that turns a yellowish tone if undisturbed. During late WW1 they began to use tin plating and used that until Mauser took over in 1930 or so. Mauser made mags, at least from 1934, have a much "shinier" nickel finish. The early Haenel mags have more of an "electroless" nickel look to them. TH