LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
triggerhappy
User

Default A few guestions from a new Luger owner...

I would like a few comments on the Luger that I bought yesterday. It is a 1913 DWM. The barrel and rear link has been changed. It cost me $140, is this a reasonable price for the gun? I got two mags with it, one original and one repro with a plastic bottom. It works well, except for one small problem, it doesn't stay open when the mag is empty. It does however stay open when I work the action manually. Otherwise it's a very nice gun to shoot.

I would also appreciate if you could tell me a bit about the gun. I have looked at the proofstamps but I don�´t know what they mean. I have no book on the subject and I can't find them on this site (I am new to Lugers if you haven't already guessed that).

triggerhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
the gunman
User

Best price for a shooter I have heard of for a long long time
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
Paul L
User

Triggerhappy,

Is there a way for you to get mor light into the pics so we can see the details better ????????????

what a deal you got, i would've had my wallet open for $140 bucks too.....how does she shoot ??????? condition of bore ???????

Congrats, Paul
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
Navy
RIP

You stole the gun, pure and simple.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
ken d
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Triggerhappy:
With the barrel length and front sight and being unable to see the acceptance marks, I would guess it to be a Finnish rework.

Regards Ken D
ken d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2005, 01:48 AM   #6
pipeman45
User

A deal ? I know several people that will double your money , And smile while they do it!!!
Unread 03-11-2005, 02:07 AM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,307 Times in 429 Posts

Triggerhappy,

The circle/triangle/T on the top of the barrel is the mark of Oy Tikkakoski AB, Finnish barrel maker who supplied barrels for many Finnish Lugers. The front sight is characteristic of Finnish Lugers. Is there an SA inside a rectangular lozenge stamped on the left receiver?

For any Luger which isn't a buffed-out, reblued, mismatched junker $140 is a stone bargain of the highest order. You done good.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2005, 04:51 AM   #8
triggerhappy
User

Okey, here comes a few pictures in better light. I have included all profstamps that I could find. The barrel has no other marks except the circle/triangle/T. How can I tell if it is a finnish rework or if someone just changed the barrel?
Anyone that can tell me what the profstamps mean?

The condition of the barrel is good. I haven't shot it alot yet, only 25 rounds. Groups around 4-5 inches at 25yards, standing one handed hold, and that is the best I have done with any gun of this caliber, including some nice race guns... I have also tried only one brand of cheap ammo and one bullet wieght, so I don't know how good the ammo is.

Is this supposed to be a proofmark? A little bit on the small side...
Unread 03-11-2005, 05:02 AM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

The barrel question was essentially answered by Dwight, at some point it received a finnish barrel, unsure when or why, but must have been in their arsenal or a barrel added by them. WHAT does your serial number look like and under the barrel???? When you look over the rest of this forum for 1913 DWM's how does the underside of your barrel appear compared to them? Any military markings? i.e. 8,83, its serial number etc??

The proofmarks on the right are normal acceptance and proofing by DWM.

The last picture is a good one, took me a minute to figure out cuz it is so close, but your 1913 originally did not come with a hold open (someone correct me if I am wrong), and in 1916, it was decided that hold opens were required. That is the arsenal acceptance marking that the hold open was added.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #10
Luke
User

You asked about the small proof mark in the last picture. Yes, that proof was applied at the time the holdopen was retrofit to the frame. The pin right above the proof indicates that a holdopen was added after the gun was manufactured.

According to Jan Still's "Imperial Lugers" the holdopen was integrated into DWM Luger frames during the latter part of the 1912 production run and in all subsequent units. So, 1913s should not have a retrofit holdopen.

Often Finnish Lugers are made up of Luger parts with no consideration for matching numbers. Does the frame serial number match your other numbers? It is probable that the frame is from the 1908 to late 1913 period, as it does not have a stock lug. Stock lugs were added by DWM in late 1913.

Luke
Unread 03-11-2005, 05:55 AM   #11
triggerhappy
User

Yes, the serial number (2689) of the frame matches all other parts. As far as I can see only the barrel (obviously) and the rear link is non-matching.
Unread 03-11-2005, 07:28 AM   #12
Luke
User

I have uploaded a couple of other examples of holdopen retrofits from a 1911 DWM and a 1912 DWM for reference purposes. See below.

If your frame and receiver serial numbers match, then you probably have a 1913 DWM made before the changeover order in late 1913 which required stock lugs on all subsequent Army Lugers.

Both my 1913 DWMs have integrated holdopens, consistent with "Imperial Lugers" tables, and I cannot explain the presence of the retrofit on your 1913.

Perhaps someone else can comment on this.

Luke

Unread 03-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #13
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,307 Times in 429 Posts

Triggerhappy,

A post at this link http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...t=firing+proof explains the marks on the right receiver.

Your new photos, although still too dark, clearly show that this Luger has no stock lug. Jan Still (Imperial Lugers) describes 1913 as a "transition year"; the stock lug shows up late in 1913 production, and a very few are reported manufactured without a holdopen. Estimated production of 1913 DWM was 35,000 pistols, if your example has no letter suffix under the frame number it is an early example and the added holdopen makes sense.

SA stamped inside a box on the left receiver is the Finnish military property
mark. If your Luger does not have this mark it is most likely that it was rebarrelled in Finland by a private owner.

Finland did not adopt the Luger as its official military sidearm until 1923; most Finnish Military Lugers came from Alphabet Commercial production, and are found proofed on the left receiver with an upright crown/N German commercial proof, along with the SA Finnish property mark. Finland maintained their Lugers aggressively. "Finnish reworks" are characterized by some combination of: mismatched parts; modified (square notch) rear sights; Tikka barrels; and a very matte, almost "Parkerized"-looking finish.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #14
Alsky
User

If there is a Century Arms Import marking on the bottom side of the barrel then it came from the Finnish Army.
Alsky is offline   Reply With Quote