LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts
Default Expanded Delivery Options

I recently received a delivery from a company I never heard of. Their tractor-trailers go by my house daily but I had no idea they delivered residentially. I'm talking about parcel delivery.

My recollections reflect my upbringing in the 50's onward. Small towns mostly, some of the delivery options started earlier in large cities. Talking about the cheapest delivery, not next-day or overnight.

Back in the 50's only USPS delivered to your door. There was a short-lived experiment of delivering twice a day sometime in the 70's; mail in the morning, parcels & anything else in the afternoon. Didn't last long.

UPS followed in the mid-50's although I wasn't aware of them until the 60's. "Big Brown Truck'. In my area now, they only deliver four days a week.

FedEx trucks & deliveries started appearing in the mid 70's. I hated FedEx. They would only make one attempt, after that you had to drive to their local terminal [airport usually] and pick up your package. No re-deliveries.

DHL only appeared here in the 80's IIRC, although they started in 1969. I only got a few parcels from DHL, mostly overseas deliveries. Purple & red name on their trucks.

Amazon trucks only started appearing here this year, although their trucks started delivering in the big cities in 2019. Long gray trucks. The ones I see around here are not tagged as electric. Guess there aren't enough charging stations yet.

Now, the company I got the delivery from last week was XPO Logistics. I had thought they were long distance carriers, tractor trailers. And that's what stopped in front of my house, a tractor with a 90 foot trailer. I've gotten a couple deliveries before from tractor-trailers, big stuff - refrigerator, garage lift, heavy stuff. But XPO was new to me. The driver seemed as confused as I was.

That's six delivery services. And I live in a rural area. Have since I moved out of the big city in '77. All six presumably competing. Although when I worked at USPS both UPS and FedEx sloughed off their base rate parcel deliveries to us. Probably more nation-wide delivery services that I don't know about deliver now, although I'm sure their trucks must pass by here (I live on the most-traveled North/South thoroughfare in Western New York State). RelCo is the most common carrier I see go by, but I've never seen them delivering.

I don't have any particular point to make. Just an observation on the growth of delivery services.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 10-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I get delivered from unmarked and rented trucks now, not from the branded store trucks and vans. For a while, Amazon was using people in personal cars to fill in.

Today I got a delivery from a commercial Trucking company (Hunt) doing local work for a big box store.

We have an HOA rule the prohibits home businesses because 50 years ago, people feared a home business would have lots of clients cars, trucks and deliveries. Today, almost every other house in the neighborhood is getting something delivered.

I use a private post office - they seem more interested in being helpful.

Clustered Mail boxes are becoming targets for thieves more often now, even in the rural areas. And once your mail box is broken, you usually have to pickup mail at the post office. They take years to fix broken mail boxes and the rarely purées the mailbox bandits. If you still have mail brought to your house, you're very lucky.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 10-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default sending stuff!

To me, there are only three options? The first is FedEx which is hard for me, as I would only use them to send guns, and the satellite locations won't send guns or ammo in the Phoenix area. So, you need to go to a hub location, and then jump thru the necessary hoops, and I'm assuming pay a fairly steep fee.
The second is UPS, still have to go to the hub location, then it's an overnight fee, which the last time was $90.00 bucks, and it arrived ten days later! They really suck, in just about every respect!
The third option and by far the best, is to go to an FFL dealer, pay the $20.00 transfer / shipping fee, and the USPS postage, $8.00 Priority flat rate and be reasonably sure it will arrive on time! I would rather pay the dealer to keep him alive, then toss the money down a rat hole with some company that doesn't even like us???? ..... Of all the gun laws, I wish they would ease restrictions on shipping first!.... Best to all, til....lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 10-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
.. Of all the gun laws, I wish they would ease restrictions on shipping first!...
Here's something I don't understand. I had a S&W Model 15 that needed work; I contacted S&W, got their instructions to send it in to the factory for repair. They told me to mail it direct, no FFL needed, no USPS notification, just include their form. I did. They mailed it back directly to me, again no FFL. And no special marking.

No checking of state permit, no NICS, no FFL. Either way. No clerk ever asked me what it was (addressee was 'cloaked').

WTF???
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 10-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
Fla.Mallard
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Here's something I don't understand. I had a S&W Model 15 that needed work; I contacted S&W, got their instructions to send it in to the factory for repair. They told me to mail it direct, no FFL needed, no USPS notification, just include their form. I did. They mailed it back directly to me, again no FFL. And no special marking.

No checking of state permit, no NICS, no FFL. Either way. No clerk ever asked me what it was (addressee was 'cloaked').

WTF???
You can send your gun that needs repair to a gunsmith or the factory with no FFL involved .. even through USPS. It's a law. However, if you get caught abusing the law, mucho dinero and bad trouble with los federales.
Fla.Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Fla.Mallard for your post:
Unread 10-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

When I was in college, we used to send stuff on the bus. It was really cheap, but there wasn't much security. I shipped bicycles with Trailways.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 10-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,426 Posts

I remember lots of flowers and newspaper bundles shipped on Trailways.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Cat View Post
When I was in college, we used to send stuff on the bus. It was really cheap, but there wasn't much security. I shipped bicycles with Trailways.
I once bought an old steamer trunk about ten years ago and she sent it via bus, worked out well.
Because of Amazon, fedex or ups come more often and ship that way many times.
Ammo should be allowed to ship - see YouTube

https://youtu.be/3SlOXowwC4c
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2020, 11:50 PM   #9
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,141 Times in 379 Posts

Be aware that ATF and "The Feds" don't restrict sending guns through the mail. It's all in the postal regulations. Specifically, In the Domestic Mail Manual, Chapter 24.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 10-13-2020, 10:08 PM   #10
Zorba
User

I saw my first Amazon truck in a nearby town a week or so back...

But "UPS" stands for "United Package Smashers", USPS is "United States Package Smashers", FedEx is "Manages to break it even though it was double boxed", and USPS just *LOST* an inbound shipment to me...

I'm not happy with any of them right now...
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #11
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I exected to be fairly busy today, putting a transmission back together. I found a NOS part I needed on eBay. USPS TRacking said it would be here last Friday. I followed the tracking each day from Smiths Creek MI/Detroit MI/Columbus OH/Hyattsville MD/Buffalo NY. That was Thursday. Columbus is only maybe a 5 hour drive. Why it got mis-sent to Maryland is anybody's guess.

USPS Tracking said it would be arriving late, Saturday 17th. It didn't arrive. I hoped it would be here today, Monday 19th. It's not.

I have gears and shafts spread out on my workbench and my press is set up too press bearings on. Can't do anything else until the trans is sealed up. "Clean room" conditions. Open bearings, gears, shims, etc. Can't do any grinding, cutting, or milling on other projects until this one is finished. Won't take long. Everything has been measured three times and cleaned twice.

Three days wasted.

On the bright side, Seasons 5 and 6 of Bosch arrived some days ago. And the latest Longmire book arrived from Amazon. Pretty interesting; I read it over the weekend. Made me want to read more about the 'Battle of the Greasy Grass', so I ordered several other books that Craig Johnson recommended.