LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 06-28-2002, 09:00 PM   #1
Choctaw Bob
New User

Post New Luger Owner Needs Help

I bought my first luger from a friend this week. It has some rust and pitting around the gun on the sharp edges where the bluing has worn off. He said it was a 1908 commercial. The serial number begins with 70 and ends with 11 with the complete number being stamped on the major parts and the 11 on the smaller parts. It has DWM ingraved in script on the togle. It has a magazine that appears to be nickel plated with a wood appearing end closure. There is a small N with a crown or acorn over it on the right side of the receiver just back of the barrel. Any information you may have on this gun will be helpful.
Choctaw Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2002, 10:54 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Sir, Good to hear from you. I've attached an address to a 1908 Commercial
http://members.rennlist.com/lugerman...MMERBEFORE.jpg

complements of the Forum's THOR. Also some history reference:

Model 1908

This was the first model to be officially accepted by the German army. It was designated "Pistol Model 1908" (P.08). The German Navy continued to obtain the Luger, ordering 40,000 of the Model 1908 fitted with a 6 inch barrel. On this model the grip safety was deleted and the safety catch made to work in the opposite direction.

For the first time a manufacturer other than DWM was licensed. The Royal Arsenal at Erfurt was given the right to manufacture the Luger for the German Army. Thousands of the Model 1908 were produced by DWM and Erfurt, a few models were produced in 7.65 with both 4 and 6 inch barrels for the commercial market. One contract for the latter was for the Bulgarian Government.

The serial # on the frame is the complete one. All smaller parts were marked with the last two digits of the number. The N is the nitro test proof. DWM means Deutsche Waffen & Munitions. They were the initial manufacturer of the gun. Unless numbered to the gun the magazine is not origonal, but that's ok, as long as it works. Carefully take it apart & clean it before shooting, instructions are in the links section of the opening page. Glad you are here, hang around, lot to learn. Congrats on the first Luger.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote