LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
jps1935
New User

Default take down lever question?

greetings I just got my first luger its a 42 code dated 1940 a common ww2 luger the book says. heres my question with the toggle locked back the take down lever moves to the downward spot by its self?is this normal? should there be tension on it? thank you jens
jps1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts
Default Takedown Lever Spring

Hi Jens, and welcome to the forum.

There is a small spring that fits the internal length of the take down lever and (because it's slightly bent) presses up against the take down lever and into a small indented slot. At the end, it's bent 90 degrees, and fits down into a hole that is visible below the frame under the take down lever.

This picture shows the end of the spring.

If this spring is missing, things can get loose with the take down lever.

There should be tension. The lever should not move by itself. In a firing sequence, this would potentially be dangerous.

Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LugerSNCloseupannotNoSer.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	25027  

Unread 03-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
jps1935
New User

OK I have a broken spring. any body know were i can get one? thanks for the picture and information.I will have to find out how to post pictures. thank you Jens
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Find our LugerDoc on this forum. He'll have one.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
jps1935
New User

well beleave this I went in a parts cabinet i got from my dad who passed away 12 years ago and found one. i also fitted it with his needle file set. thanks dad. so i am good to go at this time.(i should post a picture of the thing) dad had a collection of lugers in the 1970-1980 they all got sold.any body remember Richard C Smith from minnesota? I can recall his fine collection back in the day.(hes been gone for 35 years or so) great imformation thanks again Jens
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
jps1935
New User

here is a update on my 1940 date 42 code.its all matching numbers except for the magizines. its has 90% original finish.i ran two clips of ammo through it every thing went well.( i dont know if i will shoot it again any time soon) i bought three pistols from a guy who got them from his dad years ago.the other two pistols are new in the box colts from the mid 1970s he was rather proud of them and they didnt come real cheap.heres my questions. witch magizine would be more correct? the one with waffen 63 number 2685 or the one with 122 and waffen 37 on the side 4816 on the bottom(the springs are differant on the two also) the holster has dta 41 with waA195 then p.08 the take down tool has waffen 655(when i say waffen i mean the german bird stamp) the grips are wood and look nice. its the first matching original luger that i could afford for a long time. and am happy with it. nice web sight you have here thanks for letting me use it Jens