LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 05-04-2003, 06:20 PM   #1
gkf100
New User

Post 1920 Police

New to this forum. One of the shooter P-08's that I have is a Police unit marked. Pick it up a few years back. Strap has at the bottom P.N. 439 and the P.N. is lined out. The strap then has P. Fr. 439. The grips are the black Bakelite vertical lines. Barrel and frame have army test proofs of Mauser and Simson reworks 1930-33.
Was told that originally pistol Prussian Police the crossed out Pn for the Niederschlesien District 1922. Then PFr Frankenstein Police School Unit 432.
Does any one know if this sounds about right for the markings?
It is a decent old shooter with original barrel. I have been thinking of putting a 6 inch barrel on her since it has a very nice trigger pull.
gkf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2003, 08:49 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
Alton, welcome to the forum!

I looked this up in J. Stills book, Weimar Lugers and it has Prussian police markings starting with either K. (kriminalpolizei), S.(Schutzpolizei), or L. (Landjagerei), the schools are listed as you were told, except for the first one is a bit different.

P.N. 439 There is a P.N. (it is in old script so bear with me), I think it is Police School Riederidlejien, listed as P.N., but nothing else exactly like it, and I could be seeing it wrong.

P. Fr. 439 The book does have PFr. as Police School Frankenstein, but there is not a period in the book until after the r.

If you re-barrel it, it will lose all collector value, depending on condition, a shooter is usually worth $450-$600, and if all original I would bet you would lose at least several hundred dollars in value.

Can you provide other information? Can you tell us any markings on the gun as numbers on the following pages?

Proofs? (see on your left under tech information if you came through www.lugerforum.com) Tell us what and where proofs and markings are located.

There are forms in this section, where you can print out and then write down pertinent information.

What serial number is on the gun? To include any letters next to or under the serial number?

What year or letters are stamped on the top of the receiver?

What initials or letters are on the toggle?

Can you provide pictures, to include side, top, etc?

And of course it should, does not HAVE to, but should have a police safety and / or a magazine safety.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
gkf100
New User

ED Thanks for the Info on the strap marking. AS far a proofs they appear on rt. side of receiver and barrel looks like your identify 37.38.
SN is 271x with U under on receiver and barrel.
1920 stamped on top of receiver.
No markings on toggle except for proof mark.
No grip safety. safety says-Gesichert.
front site markings P D
someone worked on trigger it is very smooth and light.
Will post pictures but it is just an average p-08 shooter not something unusual or different.
gkf100 is offline   Reply With Quote