LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
policeluger
RIP

Default A bit off topic...Winchester

Not even close to being a Luger, but I could use some help. Took in today a Winchester Mod.70 pre 64 Super Grade .243 cal. 95% + condition, unaltered in any way....any guess as to value and what I should put on it for an internet sale....thanks very much in advance.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Hi Howard,
The .243 is one of the most common calibers in the Pre64 Mod.70.
The standard grades usually sell for around $600-$700. A Super Grade $800 ,may go as high as $900-$1000 to the right buyer. .243s usually sell best in the Spring, during varmint season. So you may have better luck moving it at this time of year.
Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
trigger643
User

What Ron said, and vintage plays some factor as well, generally the earlier the better and little things like original butt cap and no extra holes in the receiver... There was also a featherweight pre-64, 3 different contour barrels available in a variety of calibers and custom ordered pieces as well. I've had several of these across my table over the years. I once had a U.S.Property marked 30 gvt heavy barrel, before I knew what I had... Now I have an early .264 WinMag with shot out barrel that I'm going to build into a heavy barrel target as soon as I stumble across a reasonably priced Unertl 16x

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
policeluger
RIP

643...thanks for your detailed reply. This rifle was donated to the local chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and was brought to me to see what is worth and how they can use it in thier local dinner, as it turns out this is most probiliy a parts gun, SN is above cut off for Super Grade guns, has metal butt like a pre 64 and should have a solid rubber recoil pad, front sight not marked "Redfields" as SG would and under barrel is buffed over .243 but no "Super" as it should have.....all this other knowledgeable Winchester collectors have told me over last few days...but I do know bluing as have done it for 30 years and this was re-blued....thanks for your reply
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
Herb
User

Howard, here is a link to a seller that has a lot of Winchesters, you might find something there that is near to what you have---
http://www.pcfirearms.com/winchs.htm

If the date of manufacture is of any importance to you shoot me a pm with the serial number and I can get that info for you.