LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-20-2001, 11:58 PM   #1
Bob Kovacs
User

Default Cold Blue

hey guys..

Anyone have any thoughts on using a Cold Blue solution to touch up some small spots on my Luger. I would never use it to cover any major areas. Don't want to mess with the original finish which is about 75%. Thanks..Bob

Unread 08-21-2001, 12:14 AM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: Cold Blue

Well, the purists will frown upon it, but a lot of folks will do it (even the ones who frown upon it). To stay politically correct one would have to advise you not to do it (can be construed as a form of 'fakery' by some). Truthfully, it is your pistol and you can pretty much do what you want with it, well, if it's legal that is. You are guaranteed to hear many different philosophies on this. My thoughts are, since it is not really permanent, and can be removed without damaging the existing finish (I have done it, but some will tell you it will ruin the existing finish) I don't see any reason why you can't use it to touch up some spots you aren't happy with. It smells, it does not really match the existing bluing in strong light and it comes off, those are the major technical drawbacks. It covers the 'white' bare steel spots, keeps rust away and darkens the areas to blend better, those are the advantages.

Unread 08-21-2001, 04:06 AM   #3
HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr
User

Even ten years after you have applied the cold blue the hole gun will stink terrible.

the cold blue will NOT keep rust away but attract rust.

My recomendation is to keep the gun as it is.

Regards HÃ?Â¥kan

http://www.vapensmedjan.com
Unread 08-21-2001, 10:42 AM   #4
Johnny Peppers
User

It is a lot like touching up a white house with beige paint. You can always see where you touched it up, and it really doesn't end up looking better.

As a test for cold blue, rub the suspected area with your thumb or finger until it becomes warm. The copper sulfate smell (stink) will come out when the area is warm.

Unread 08-21-2001, 04:18 PM   #5
JJV

DONT DO IT!!