LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-19-2001, 10:55 PM   #1
fgr

Default Interesting Ebay auction showing production techniques ?

Unread 07-20-2001, 01:12 AM   #3
ViggoG
RIP

Default Re: Interesting Ebay auction showing production techniques ?

Its a shame that these barrel blanks were not more random in position so as to expose the breach end and the sight end of the blanks so that we could determine if they had been rifled and chambered .

The normal procedure for barrel making for "Long Guns" is most often , drill , ream , rifle ,and straighten the rifled bore ,then turn the outside diameter to precise concentricity with the finish rifled bore . this is done prior to chamber reaming , turning and threading the breach end and before finish turning the exterior prior to milling the sight block on the muzzle end .

From what I see this appears to be the proceedures followed on these blanks in the photo .

Considering WW-1 Technology I wouls estimate about One hour and a half per blank at this stage , Plus about three fourths hour more to finish the machining of each blank .

Considering WW-2 Technology I wouls estimate about twenty to thirty minutes total for each finish machined barrel .

Today less than ten minutes .

If one chooses to differ on these time estimates I will bend to pressure as I have not locked a turret head collet for thirty years .

ViggoG

Unread 07-20-2001, 06:43 AM   #4
TomN

Default Re: E-Bay experiences

Don I've bought a lot of parts thru e-bay and haven't been burnt yet.I guess you just have to use common sense and check the feedback on the seller. And the most important thing is to set your max price right at the start and not get caught up in the frenzy that some times takes place right at the end of the auction.TomN

Unread 07-20-2001, 10:26 AM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: Interesting Ebay auction showing production techniques ?

I looked at the barrels and found them to be interesting too. Three of the barrels had no crowns on the muzzles. The owner of these barrels probably had lugers with sawed off tips from the WW1 treaty and the owner "restored" the lugers with new barrels.(Buyers Beware)

The other two barrels look in bad shape. One one them looks badly blood pitted and the other just looks badly pitted. The crowns on these muzzles gives me the gut feeling that at one time these were imports and somebody turned the barrels on lathe and took too much metal off. But, what looks like blood pitting on one of them, tells me otherwise.

These barrels don't look to me like they came from any factory. They more than likely came from some guy who replaced the barrels on some shooters and had them laying around the garage. He was probably cleaning out the garage, found them and decided to try to make some money on Ebay.

But this could be an interesting discussion on this forum for all types of lugerheads. I know that I will be watching.