LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-27-2003, 08:07 AM   #1
Roadkill
User

Post Question of perspective

Morning. Went over to a shootn buddy's back forty a week or so ago, (been on a military high power rifle shooting kick lately), talked about a lot of stuff, shot a bunch of ammo, killed a lot of terrorists, two or three attacking bears,a rabid dog or two, put down the drug crazed forcible entry multiple felon escapee with a AR, stopped charging NVA, saved a stunning near nude blonde from a fate worse than death, and of course at least one ex wife,(she died), you know, the classic southern white male fiftyish shooting scenarios, and while we were cleaning up the hardware and getting drunk I asked about his email address, wasn't able to reach him last time. Ouch. THE FEDS ARE WATCHING. THE CROOKS ARE WATCHING. THE GUN CONTROL LIBRALS ARE WATCHING. I GOT RID OF MY COMPUTER AND YOU SHOULD TOO. You would have thought I ran over his dog or refused a beer. Direction I'm going with this isn't the Ruby Ridge stuff but several things are obvious:

1. We have guns
2. Most all of us are civilians
3. Many of us have many guns
4. Many of you have many expensive guns
5. Many of you love to talk about your many expensive guns
6. Many of you post photos proudly of your expensive guns
7. Many of you/us provide photos of ourselves in relation to or actually with our many guns.

Is this a not potential disaster should action be taken by those who would like to acquire our hardware for either depraved political reasons or criminal activity?

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2003, 11:31 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,504 Times in 2,079 Posts
Yes, and we can worry our entires lives and never have fun.

I think that is why I got away from survivalism, everybody was always so worried.

If you really are worried, then buy some land, put 10k rounds of your favorite milsurp, along with five or ten rifles (many milsurps are cheap right now, Mosins worked for the Russians, they'll work for you), and asssorted pistols, and other gear, then bury it ten feet deep.

Then you can enjoy your "hobby" and yet have guns in case the poop ever hits the fan.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2003, 05:16 PM   #3
front sight
User

I agree with ed. I think the thing we have to do is keep ressing the case for gun rights with cogent arguments. For example: When has gun control lowered the crime rate? A quick look at the mess that is England and rising crime rate in Australia provide some good evidense for our position. People who hide in the woods with their guns have very little ability to sway opinions, but people who write letters to their news papers, congress critters, and senators have at least a little. I think we also all need to keep our advocacy organizations like GOA, NRA and local grass roots outfits healthy, too. Do you think gay activists are scared and hiding? How do you think they have gotten where they are (for good or bad)?

Just my two cents.
Unread 09-29-2003, 11:19 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Get back on your paranoia medication RK... and give some to your shootin' buddy too.

Just because you say you ain't paranoid doesn't mean nobody is out to get you... As one of my favorite radio preachers likes to say on a daily basis...lighten up and live... before all that worrying does you in...

A work colleage of mine has a bumper sticker on his 4x4 that says "I used to be schizophrenic, but WE'RE okay now" ... he also owns a lot of firearms AND computers.

Have a great day RK and get those students back to work!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2003, 06:09 PM   #5
John -Melb
User

Paranoia is nothing but a total awareness of your environment. The real scary part is that some threads on this forum I've had real trouble following recently, but I read this one and understand?
John -Melb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2003, 07:36 PM   #6
Roadkill
User

I guess you all are right, most likely I've been hanging around the survival forums too much again. I guess there is a difference between keeping a loaded shotgun or two around the house and 5K of .223, three ARs and three months of food and gear loaded in a 4WD ready to leave at a moment's notice. Ref the paranoia, I only do what three out of the four voices in my head tell me, but they have been speaking Spanish lately so I can't understand them. Guess I better quit than damn "EI" tv channel and stop watching the PRK recall stuff. I'm gonna go sit on the porch with my ugly dog. I lost Buster a while back so I'm breaking in a new one.

rk
Unread 09-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #7
Navy
RIP

Write, contribute and participate by helping your candidates at the local level. All politics is local.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2003, 07:49 PM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
Sorry to hear about Buster.
Unread 09-29-2003, 08:50 PM   #9
Roadkill
User

Thanks Ron, but maybe I wasn't clear. I mean I "lost" Buster meaning couldn't find him. Took the damn hound with me to a camp out in the Sipsey Wilderness area and he ran after a deer and never came back. I stayed two days and went back a week later but this is one big piece of backwoods about 45 miles from here. Probably found a girlfriend and went native. Ugly dogs aren't too hard to find anyway especially down here.

rk
Unread 09-29-2003, 11:51 PM   #10
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
Roadkill,

Thanks for clearing up Buster's situation. I had assumed he was a member of the "dear departed" and not "deer departed". Still, I'm sorry for his loss.
Unread 09-30-2003, 03:22 AM   #11
G.W. Gill
User

Can we have an update on Buster if you find out what happened to him? On the other topic, a few hundred rounds of common ammunition stored away for our grandkids could be a prudent thought.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote