LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-13-2002, 04:25 PM   #1
Brandon Metcalf

Default 9mm Bore brush

I bought a 9mm bore brush the other day and it won't fit down the barrel of my Luger. A 10mm brush will, But it's a tight fit. Is it supposed to be that way?

Unread 03-13-2002, 05:10 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: 9mm Bore brush

Apparently the 9mm bore brush you bought was mis-marked. It should be smaller than the 10mm. The bore brush should be just over bore size so that the bristles are nearly 90 degrees to the bore. If too large a brush is used, the bristles lay over and do not scrub the bore as well.

Unread 03-13-2002, 05:14 PM   #3
R. Grady/Roadkill

New brushes are usually tight, you want them that way. However if it absolutely won't go without really forcing it

you risk doing damage to gun and person if it bends on you. What I have done is to brace gun well, insert tip of brush into barrel, the tap directly down with a block of wood. Do not try to reverse a brush while in the barrel. Push it all the way through then either pull out allowing the bristles to reverse or disconnect and push through again.Is it a wire brush or synthetic? Wire ones are always stiffer. Also lube barrel first.

Roadkill

Unread 03-13-2002, 05:26 PM   #4
R. Grady/Roadkill

I forgot to add to insert the rod into the barrel fron the rear then attach brush, its easier to pull it through than to push it. I tend to think its the wrong size also.

Roadkill

Unread 03-13-2002, 06:14 PM   #5
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Are you starting from the breech? You should be.

Lonnie

Unread 03-13-2002, 08:35 PM   #6
Steve
User

Default Re: Bore Snake

This is a little off the thread but I have found the best idea yet for cleaning is a Bore Snake. It does a great job on one or two passes. It looks like a rope and has bristles on one area.

Unread 03-13-2002, 08:45 PM   #7
Brandon Metcalf

I've saw those! That's a great idea!

Thanks Steve! ......Brandon

Unread 03-13-2002, 09:28 PM   #8
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Be prepared for a mess with a bore snake. Getting it into the cleaner then into the barrel is messy to say the least. A good concept, however.

Lonnie

Unread 03-13-2002, 09:40 PM   #9
R. Grady/Roadkill

This isn't something I'd recommend for anything but a shooter but I've got about four or five sections of cleaning rods with a wire brush on the end hooked up on a black & decker drill that I lock in a vise.I set the motor speed at a medium level and work the gun barrel up and down. Wire brush then wipe out with a patch. Repeat six or eight times and it does clean one out. Saves a lot of work.

Roadkill

Unread 03-13-2002, 10:24 PM   #10
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Roadkill; GREAT idea!!

Lonnie

Unread 03-14-2002, 01:44 AM   #11
Viggo G. Dereng

Default Re: ?? Rotary Brushing ??

Brady,

Have you considered that if the brass wire becomes loaded with abrasives, dirt, rust, old gun blue, etc., that you stand to remove the sharp edges of the rifling .

Even on and old gun this abrasive rotary brushing shurely cannot help improve the rifling .

IMO "This is not my favorite way to clean the barrel."

I do not intend this to be considered a "put down" as few people know that this method is used to clean and polish the interior of rusty tubing and that takes some cutting action .

ViggoG

Unread 03-14-2002, 01:52 AM   #12
66mustang

Default Can clean too much?

When I went to unit armory school, they told us that although we wouldn't get away with it, that most guns (rifles, pistols and machine guns) in the army were worn out from over cleaning rather than by shooting or being used. The rifles used for training purposes (basic, advanced, etc) are stored in large arms rooms and issued and must be super clean when turned in, they are so worn out it is amazing!

Many people clean like they were taught, like their dad taught them, because of corrosive ammo, they cleaned it extra good.

Ed

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:10 AM   #13
Thor
User

Default Re: Can clean too much?

I dont normally use abrasive and just let the solvent do most of the work! (and be patient) As mentioned before, dont clean from the muzzle end as you may damage the crown rifling. I once saw a buddy absolutely ruin a 7 mm Magnum rifle doing this. It started shooting badly so he cleaned it more, and it was worse, a gunsmith spotted the problem and cut an inche or two off the barrel and it was shooting great again, but it did loose a little OOMPH! Thor

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:12 AM   #14
Viggo G Dereng

Default Re: Sure Can, clean too much !

Since the advent of Non Corrosive Primers and brass brushes,

"More Target Rifles have been RUINED by OVER CLEANING than by SHOOTING !

They were lovingly brushed to death by well intentioned owners !

IMO

Wire brushing should be reserved for heavily leaded bores !

ViggoG

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:00 PM   #15
R. Grady/Roadkill

Default Re: ?? Rotary Brushing ??

Sir, the Humvee that ran over me was a put down. Your comments are why I hang around here. I had no idea that you could over clean a gun. Makes sense. Thanks!

Roadkill

Unread 03-14-2002, 06:02 PM   #16
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: cleaning thoughts

Didn"t Roadkill say heheld onto the barrel and let the brush follow the rifeling?That is what I got out of it. That would work fine. Letting the brush get out of sync with the rifeling would really wear it down fast. More barrels are ruined with a bad brush and a rod the rubs against the barrel than any other way. Old benchrest proverb, huh, Rick?

Lonnie