LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 01-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #21
Arvin
User

Ron,
I wasn't encouraging anyone to mess up a collector Luger unless you think all Lugers are collectable. I was just stating that if you are gonna shoot a Luger you should make sure it is safe to do so. I think people should get out of the sheep like state of mind that you are destroying something if you change it to make it useable. I bet you also disagree with restoring a Luger too? As far as the kabooming goes, a brand new pistol can kaboom. There is no single factor in a kaboom and thinking that it possibly can't happen to you isn't thinking smartly. I know I am the new kid when it come to being on this forum, but I spend more time shooting then playing on the computer. "There is a diminishing supply of original Lugers, and we are the caretakers of what remains to be able to pass them on to future generations." But as caretakers we should think ahead and make sure they are still in working order for future generations. There is no unwarranted fear here. I just caution people who don't think that pitting or rust doesn't alter your weapon. It does, they weren't designed to be rusty were they? Look at everything collectable in this world and then look at this topic. Oh my it is a crime to change a barrel on a Luger but antique car collectors don't complain about changing brake pads or tires or even complain about rebuilding an engine. Just remember that a Luger is a tool nothing more and like most tools they were made to be maintained. I rather have a useable weapon than to have a paper weight that someone says is valuable. If it is both useable and valuable than good but to neglect a weapon because you might hurt its value is silly. At least we don't have any laws like in Britian where we can't have private firearms. To me the question always comes to mind. Why own something if you don't use it? So changing a barrel is considered destroying a gun, which means that restoration is also destroying too? Thanks Arvin
Arvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2004, 06:45 PM   #22
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts
Arvin,

Your points on restoration are well taken. However, standards vary from hobby to hobby. Within the antique car community, considerable effort is made to restore vehicles to original and operable condition. This is acceptable and encouraged for this hobby. Other collectables do not follow those rules. Coin and stamp collectors are on the opposite end of the spectrum. Nothing may be done to enhance the condition of a specimen. Lugers fall somewhere in between. For most Luger collectors, a Luger in 95% or better original condition is a very desirable find, and restoration or alteration diminishes its worth. It is difficult to find specimens that have withstood the ravages of time and mistreatment, consequently choosing not to apply any ministration other than cleaning and preserving is not considered neglect, and certainly not â??sillyâ?. Conversely, some Lugers are in such poor state of preservation or operational condition that restoration, to include re-barreling, will enhance their worth and safety. I need only point out the restoration efforts of the forum member â??Thorâ? that have transformed pitiful examples to objects of beauty that command prices approaching original specimens. Also, there have been examples of very rare Lugers and other early firearms that were so decimated by rust and damage that restoration has been fully justified to preserve a historical item. To address your comment specifically, yes, depending on the firearm in question, restoration and/or changing a barrel on a weapon is considered destroying a gun.

What is and isnâ??t operationally safe is not a â??sheep like state of mind that you are destroying something if you change it to make it useableâ?. I think the fundamental difference in our views lies in what constitutes â??safe to shootâ?. You appear to be of the opinion that a pitted bore is unsafe to shoot, and I am convinced that it isnâ??t. You obviously are not a collector, and there is nothing wrong with that. You donâ??t have the mindset of a collector; therefore shooting and safety are foremost in your consideration.

I apologize profusely for subjecting you and the readership to my lengthy tirade, but as a long time collector who has very strong feelings about the preservation of the hobby, I sometimes get carried away. And although you think I am â??not thinking smartlyâ?, I thank you for the opportunity to state my case.
Unread 01-08-2004, 07:33 PM   #23
Arvin
User

Ron,
Point taken. But there comes a point where a pitted barrel could be unsafe. I would tell people to just go out and shoot something without knowing if it is safe to do so. The thing that struck me funny is the way everyone chimed in and no one even had one consideration for safety.And another thing that struck me funny was the way you answered. "Why "ruin the originality" of a gun that shoots great just for a cosmetic change that can't be seen?" Well The thing is it isn't cosmetic as it is functional. I don't want everyone to think that barrel pitting is cosmetic. I don't know what to think about collectors. I rather have my piece of history usable than as a display piece. After all it was designed for use and not display. As for Thor, I have seen the before and after pictures and I think is is a shining example of a craftsman. Another thing Ron is both you and I are perfect examples of of people being on the opposite sides of the fence. And I think we both provide some good arguments and I think we have provided some good reading for others. Thanks Arvin
Arvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2004, 10:56 PM   #24
1rp12
New User

Gentlemen,
Thank you for stating your opinions so clearly on this matter. I also compliment your abilities to disagree in a civilized manner. Too many discussion boards exist already where civility doesn't exist. It makes it hard to take anyone seriously when that happens.
I have acquired the Luger. I have decided not to rebarrel it, for a couple of reasons.
It is not a competitive target gun.
It has more value to me being in "as found" condition.
Ron's warning about rebarreling sometimes not being successful anyway.

Thanks again for your help and advice.
Joe
1rp12 is offline   Reply With Quote