LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 03-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
1969goatman
Banned

Default Recoil Spring Commercial .30 Luger

Wolf Offers 3 springs 36 38 and 40. 38 is factory standard (so they say) if you were going to replace the spring and I am shooting Fiocchi 93 grain FMJ , what spring would you get?

I know this is an extremely general question. But, I want opinions, With detailed answers as to why you would pick what you would pick. My Luger's frame fin busted off the other day.

The type of person that would answer this I would hope has first hand experience with this and this ammo and these springs.
1969goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
calibrator
User

Have since sold my .30, but was using the same ammo as you while I had it. Since it was a refinished shooter, I decided to change the recoil spring as a precaution when I first started shooting it (it functioned fine with the original one). Using the lightest (36#) spring, it would not cycyle the action at all. Comparing the springs (old and new), the old was several coils shorter. I remember older postings here stating that the 9mm spring has 19 coils and the .30 has 17, so that makes sense. Your posting caused me to look at the rear of my 3 remaning P08s and I see no signs of contact (I use the 38# spring in those). I also have a nice C96 Broom' and am aware that there was a higher powered round Not designed for it that many used which caused ALOT of frame damage. Is there a similar situation that could have applied to the .30 Luger ?? YMMV Joe
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
1969goatman
Banned

So did the 38 work in your gun? ANd yes, the frame fin busted off. And your saying people put .30 Muaser in a .30 Luger, the rim is the same, like 1 /100th of an inch off in all base, neck etc, so it would fit, this cartridge can fit in a Luger???
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
calibrator
User

The 38# Wolff springs are in my 9mm Lugers (NOT .30 cal). I'm suggesting that possibly your particular pistol was used with rounds that exceeded standard pressures for the .30 cal Luger round . The parallel I'm trying to make is that the C96 mauser round (7.63 Mauser) and the Tokarev 7.62 round are close enough dimensionally that many people have used the notably higher pressure Tokarev round (because it was cheap and plentiful) in the C96 causing damage that is similar to your experiences. I know a guy that reloads his ammo and I cringe when I shoot with him as I feel that he is pushing his loading beyond reason judging by the muzzle blasts alone. He's a nice enough guy, but I do stand back a bit.
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
calibrator
User

As an after thought, I recall reading here that those who know feel that the Fiocchi .30 cal luger round is under powered compared to accepted standards.
Unread 03-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
1969goatman
Banned

Well than it should not cause a problem with breechblock cracking.