LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #21
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

I bought a '59 A-H 100/6 2+2 when I was at the Philly Naval Hospital back in Winter of '71. Later I bought another 100/6 but 2-seat only. Finally finished up with a 3000 w/3 carbs. Sold all of them because of rust-worn frames; they sagged in the middle.

Spangy, that pic of yours looks more like a 100/6 than a 3000. 100/6 had clip-on side windows & snap-on fabric top over a rod-in-hole spidery top frame; 3000 folded down onto the rear deck & had roll-up windows. 100/6 had horizontal grille slats; 3000 were vertical. I don't have any pics of any of mine, I was never into cameras.

If the pistol has a foresight, does the back end have a hindsight???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #22
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Sold mine because the AH 3000 is NOT a winter car.
I was in Saskatoon Saskatchewan when I owned my 3000.
Back then the winters were really cold ... -40f was normal and snow drifts would reach the roof line of your house.

Essentially the AH 3000 and the AH 100/6 are nearly identical aesthetically speaking ... both are beautiful machines.

Later on I revived my sports car enthusiasm with a 72 Datsun 240Z ... 1972 was the last year of the triple - 3 x 2 barrel Mikuni down draft carb set up. What a blast ... complete sports car fun.

Guns & Cars ya gotta luv em !!
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #23
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

My '61 AH 3000 had removable side curtains and a frame one put up for the top. Then, you put the top over the frame. 4 Speed with an electric overdrive.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2021, 12:07 AM   #24
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Crank Knobs? I can only hear it in the voice of Beavis and Butthead.... CrAnK KnObS
Hi,

Crank Knobs sound like a part of an old Victor Phonograph!!!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 07-12-2021, 12:24 AM   #25
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
... Sold all of them because of rust-worn frames; they sagged in the middle.
There was a place that for about twenty years, from 1978 on, that addressed such things. I sold my 65 Volvo 1800S when I became worried about the rusty uni-body. Little did I know I'd work at Finger Lakes Fabricating 2 years later.

Most often seen were VW Beetles for uni-body/heater tubes and floor pans. Dodge Darts had their own special tricks. The area around the mount for the torsion bars would weaken and twist out. My fave was that the rear leaf springs would slice up into the trunk like a can opener when the rear mount rusted loose. Subaru et. al. shock towers were a thing, too, IIRC.

They'd fix anything that was viable if the customer could afford it, and I can't begin to enumerate all the different vehicles that were structurally restored. I recall a Porsche 914, which had rocker panel structure similar to the bug. The guy working on it wanted access, and removed the roof panel, which turned out to be what was keeping the car from bending in half. Nonetheless the repair went just fine.

One night, the door was left open on a car that was left on the lift overnight. The system leaked enough that the car had slowly come down, and because the open door caught on the steel bench on the way, it was lying in repose on its side in the A.M.

They set fewer than a handful on fire, overall. One Mercedes' interior was completely burned out by a hot MIG ball that had somehow gotten inside and smoldered unnoticed in the carpet/insulation layer. Again, a surprise in the morning... Welding spatter on glass was to be scrupulously avoided. Tiny red hot balls of steel melt into and stick to glass. It is unnoticeable until the next rain, at which point it rusts and makes your windshield red. It will also destroy your wipers.

All gone now, closed up, and the owner retired since 2011.