LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #1
sdmark777
User

Default Luger sales to: Legacy;Pre98;Simpson Ltd.;Phoenix

We all need to decide how our collections will be disposed of some day or I suppose we can ignore our own mortality until it is too late to choose. Or sometimes we want the money out of a Luger to buy something else (another Luger obviously). We can give them to our heirs, sell over time at gun shows, sell to or consign at a gun shop, sell on the Gun Broker etc Websites, sell through an auction house, sell on this Luger Forum or sell through Luger/Collector Gun specific Websites.

So I have done some research regarding this last option and wanted to pass along my recent experience with four Luger oriented Web sale sites: Legacy Collectibles, Pre98 Antiques, Simpson's Ltd. and Phoenix Investment Arms. Let me preface this with the caution that I understand these are businesses which must make a profit and my experience is for just one specific Luger. So results will surely vary upon the specific Luger or Lugers for sale. I only contacted these businesses through Email. Only two have responded so far. They responded with-in a day.

That said, here is my recent experience. I chose to offer up a Mauser 1935-06 GNR Luger. I chose this because it is in minty original condition that I do not believe could ever be upgraded in an all original GNR. I also chose the GNR because Portuguese Lugers while desirable in their various configurations are not always the fastest sellers. I asked each business what price they would sell my GNR for and what they would buy it for. I sent them the following 16 high detail photos and a description, so they could easily see the minty original condition of this GNR.

Legacy Collectibles: Quick response from Chris Joiner. Chris replied they would not be interested in purchasing my GNR. Chris elaborated that Portuguese Lugers have been moving slow over the last several months. Chris offered a value of $2,000.00 to $2,500.00 Legacy's fees: "We pride ourselves in being straightforward, giving transparent offers based on “retail” value. Our buyout offers are typically 20-25% below retail, and our consignment rate is 15%." But if you read their contract fine print, Legacy reserves the right to lower the price of your item up to ten percent before getting your approval, in order to make a sale. So with Legacy I would be allowing up to a 25% cut off the agreed sale price at the start. This is important to note, since with my GNR, I feel they priced too low. If you want your item returned they charge a $50.00 fee.

Pre98 Antiques: Quick response from Scotty Benedict. Scotty replied they would not be interested in purchasing my GNR as they tend to be slow movers. Scotty said they would be happy to sell the GNR for me at $3,650.00. Scotty said it was probably the finest GNR they had seen. Pre98's fees: "Our consignment fees are structured upon the net sales price; they are 20% on items over $1,000 and 25% on items below that amount." I did not find a consignment agreement on their site, so I do not know if they can reduce the price with-out seller agreement or the fee if you want the item returned, when it does not sell at the agreed price.

Phoenix Investment Arms: No response. Possibly too busy to answer single item Email inquiries. You may need to call to get a response. Phoenix fees: "Owner agrees to pay to the seller either, (a) 15% of the established sales price or minimum $450, (b) any amount exceeding the established sales price requested by the seller or, (c) minimum of $450@ if the weapon is withdrawn by the seller prior to sale (covers the cost of photography, auction advertising and shipping). If the Owner agrees to a lesser price then we charge 15% of whatever price we sell it for but not less than $450 fee per item." So Phoenix gets at least $450.00 or 15% commission. Their sale period is 6 months, if you want it back sooner it will cost you $450.00. I don’t like their option (b). Sounds to me like a sucker punch, if you price too low and it sells high, they make the profit off the pricing point (JMHO).

Simpson's Ltd: No response. Possibly too busy to answer single item Email inquiries. You may need to call to get a response. Simpson Ltd. fees: 20% commission with a minimum of 90 days to sell. Returned to you before 90 days will cost you 10% of the sale price.

So this gives you some idea of the process if you or your heirs decide to sell your Luger through one of these four Luger specific Websites. You need to check with as many as possible, before you decide on one of them. If I am selling off my Lugers I think I would first try getting a table at gun shows and enjoy the process. Second, I would list it here on this Luger Forum. Third, I would try Gun Broker or one of those gun sale sites. Fourth, I would go with Pre98 or one of these sites I just discussed. Fifth, sell on consignment at a gun shop. But they get limited exposure unless they also sell on Gun Broker etc. Sixth and absolute last resort I would go through one of the big auction houses. Now this only applies if I still have the time and ability I have today and if I am the one to dispose of them. If my family has to handle disposition, that is another thing. They wouldn't be up for gun show selling, offering for sale on this forum or selling on Gun Broker. Probably my heirs would best be suited to go to a local gun shop or through Pre98 or one of the others. Better yet, they just keep 'em all for the future generations. I know they would appreciate and keep a few items, but reality is, I fear I have too much for them to hang on to it all. I am sure a lot of you have already made your plans. Some of you are like me and trying to figure it out or determine when to start the process. There is one other option, to bequeath your Lugers to a museum, like the NRA National Firearms Museum. I don’t like this option. Truth is when people donate to museums, you or your heirs usually have no control over the items donated. The items might not even be put out on display. Worse yet, museums will sometimes sell the donated items. If you want the museum to get money, donate money. If I donated Himmler’s Luger to the NRA Museum, it might get put on display. But with-out a specific pre agreement, (especially on Lugers not connected to persons of high interest), it might not!

Other options? Anyone actually sold through one of these four or another site?

Well, food for thought I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	83497  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	83498  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	83499  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	83500  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	83501  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	83502  

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	83503  

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	83504  

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	83505  

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	83506  

sdmark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 12 members says Thank You to sdmark777 for your post:
Unread 06-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
sdmark777
User

Last Pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	83507  

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	83508  

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	83509  

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	83510  

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	83511  

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	83512  

The following 9 members says Thank You to sdmark777 for your post:
Unread 06-26-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
Dubar
User

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that people actually SELL their lugers
Dubar is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Dubar for your post:
Unread 06-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I know all these dealers, and selling direct will net you the least, but less hassles than selling your self. I’ve sold to three of the four you mentioned, all gave decent prices, although Tom at Legacy has always gave me the best prices.
Most people don’t like to deal w tire kickers, and in sales there are a lot, so selling yourself can be frustrating?
How many days did you wait for responses? I’d expect that their sales email is checked only m-f and has scores of emails a day.

specility items are harder to sell, than say a Mauser byf.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 06-26-2021, 10:31 PM   #5
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

I've sold over 600 guns on Gunbroker, and always had good luck. The final value fee is typically about 4%. Good photos like the ones you showed us here really help sell the gun and get the best price. Also a good written description, pointing out any flaws or damage helps the buyer make an informed decision. I've been getting good money for average guns these days. This forum have proven itself to be an excellent resource as well.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #6
hayhugh
User

[QUOTEI'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that people actually SELL their lugers ][/QUOTE]

What does your head think about his reason for selling?

Last edited by hayhugh; 06-27-2021 at 06:58 AM. Reason: more info
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to hayhugh for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #7
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Every collector needs to think of the disposition of their collection and what sdmark777 is researching is very responsible. I myself have documented my collection and talked with my wife about what to do with everything if something happens to me prematurely. I am still fairly young and in great health but have thought when the time comes (30 plus yrs hopefully ) that I would like to go the gun show route if they still have them or offer them on the forum if it’s still allowed in the future. I have no heirs who would be interested or deserve the collection. I intend to enjoy what I have for as long as possible. Hope all is well with you and your just testing the waters for the future!
All the best
Jim
P.S. real nice Luger, if you truly want to sell just that one, offer it here, see what happens
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to jeb111 for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Take Your Time! Impulse selling sucks!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
hayhugh
User

Quote:
Take Your Time! Impulse selling sucks!
So does impulse buying!!!!
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to hayhugh for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

With Lugers especially, once sold seldom forgotten!!!!!
Unread 06-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #11
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I'm determined to pass along my entire collection.

I have worked hard to document and photograph all of them.

Nobody mentioned Rock Island.
I have never won a bid there and they have a lot of fees, but amazing guns.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #12
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Don't we have a for sale section?
The following 2 members says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #13
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Interesting research. Thanks for offering it. Tom at Phoenix is just yesterday out of back surgery. He was likely tied up with medical and missed your email.

I have toured the basement gun collection at the NRA Museum in VA courtesy of George Anderson. Quite the interesting experience but you are correct. MOST of the guns they have are not on display at any one time. They live in little/large slide out drawers. I was shocked at how few Luger's they had! Of course the same can be said of the Cody museum in Wyoming. They have almost none and don't care about them. Their focus is on cowboy guns. With limited space most museums use extras as a source of income.

I plan to die with some of my treasures. NONE of my family relations care about Luger's, me or Ellie. We are busy trying to form a trust..for disposal of everything when we die. My problem is who to leave any of it to? I am down to the NRA or a no kill animal shelter. Decisions decisions...

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 05:29 PM   #14
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

A TRUE GENTLEMAN AND BEAUTIFUL COUPLE!! Don't forget the turkeys!
Unread 06-27-2021, 05:40 PM   #15
gunnertwo
User

Having a person or company sell your items will cost some amount of "fees". Folks don't spend the time, research and effort for nothing. One may not get the value or return on the original investment. The values which are not obtained could be classified as the passion and joy of acquisition and possession. We all have paid more than we should in the acquiring of our treasures. The passion of the hunt and the ultimate, "I finally got one" are the pleasures of collecting.

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to gunnertwo for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #16
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

No Truer Words!! I'm Never Selling Any Again! They are necessary part of my short life!!!! I can't spend a day without them in my mind and sight!! I refuse to break up any more of my family! All Of You Included, for close to twenty years, Priceless! Eric
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #17
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Jerry, if you enjoy museums - and who doesn't - I can highly recommend the Browning Museum in Ogden, UT. It's been years since I was there in 1989 while TDY to Hill AFB, but is was worth it then and I imagine it's still a great place to visit.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #18
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

I have no heirs on my side of the family and little interest in gun show selling, Gunbroker, or local dealers (of which there are none locally). I'm tired of all the BS. My advice to my niece-in-law is to pile all 31 handguns in a box and take them down to the Sheriff. IIRC I have only sold one handgun here, the rest I advertised went unnoticed. When I'm dead I don't really care what happens to them. Melted down into a manhole cover is as honorable an end as any, and more useful than my own remains.

Now, as to my Corvette...Burn Baby Burn!!!
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #19
sdmark777
User

Well, Sheepherder, I don't know if you are serious and if you are, I hope you change your mind. If your guns go to the Sheriff they will most likely be destroyed, unless some are modern enough to be put into service. Your niece in law could at least drive to where ever there is a dealer and get something for them. Someone wise here once wrote that we are the temporary custodians of these pieces of history. If you really feel this way and don't care about your niece in law getting anything, you could always give her the contact info, for someone on this forum of your choice, who would take them off her hands. Maybe that Kaiser kid, he is young enough to probably outlive all the rest of us. I mean anything is better than the scorched earth approach you proposed.
The following 7 members says Thank You to sdmark777 for your post:
Unread 06-27-2021, 07:56 PM   #20
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmark777 View Post
Your niece in law could at least drive to where ever there is a dealer and get something for them.
Semi-serious. The H-I-L is anti-gun, and doesn't like me anyway (can't think of why ). It's possible Ed Tinker might get a heavy package some day. Right now I'm tied up with trying to find the current drain in the Vette so I can at least move it - The (new) battery goes dead in two days. That might get a few bucks, and she'll be able to sell that herself.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:

Tags
gnr, legacy, phoenix, pre98, simpsons