LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 04-19-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
SmithSwede
User

Default Markings on my "new" Swiss

Ok, I've finally joined the club. Acquired an 06/29 Swiss Luger, with the red plastic grips and red magazine button. Serial is 5039x.

Can somebody help me identify the various markings I see? Tell me where to look for other markings? Any comments, tips, or suggestions welcome.

Here we go:

---magazine seems nickel plated. No serial number. Red plastic button. Full of a thick grease. On rear of magazine near the red plastic base, there is a stylized capital "P". Does that refer to some inspector?

---Frame of gun.

Interior of frame. The "well" next to take down lever has a capital "S". Beneath that is "9.33". I'm assuming 9.33 means made in Sept 1933. Not sure about the "S."

Rear of frame. Behind spring hook. Looks like a capital "N" overlaid with a rifle symbol? Or a harpoon? Not sure.

eft side of frame. Extreme rear of frame, behind safety, seems to have two vertical pinprick marks. Does that indicate re-finishing or arsenal work?

--left side of trigger. A cross in front of pivot pin

--forward of takedown lever is serial number. Preceding the number looks like a rectangle, with a capital "M" inside, and some other mark above.

---right side of frame. Extreme rear toggle area. 4 vertical pinprick marks. Arsenal work?

--in front of trigger on frame above trigger guard is a large capital "P.".

Barrel. Seems a reddish "plum" color. Noticeably different bluing from rest of pistol. Replacement barrel? Normal?

Serial number on rear of barrel next to receiver matches. Seems like a "BP" mark directly vertical on barrel next to receiver, except the "B" is backwards.

Bottom of barrel next to receiver. Small cross.

Receiver lug. Last 3 digits of serial number.

Underneath of receiver, left side, rear. The same weird capital "N" overlaid with rifle/harpoon/something.

Underneath of receiver, right side, rear. Looks like capital letter "CG". Name of inspector?

---Toggle. Matching serial number toward rear. Swiss cross in middle. "Geladen" on left side of extractor.

In left side rail of bolt assembly there is a Swiss cross and again the capital letters "CG."

The toggle spring "hook" is silver colored, with Swiss cross and again the "CG."

Underneath rear portion of toggle assembly on left side is Swiss cross, on right side is "CG."

More generally:

All the witness marks on barrel to receiver and front sight to barrel seem dead perfect.

On the other hand, I'd say the gun was refinished, albeit very well. Arsenal work?

The side plate/trigger lever is has wear underneath the bluing. But it's also matching last 3 digits of serial number, with an "FP" above a Swiss cross on the body. The trigger lever itself is silver, again with Swiss cross and "CG."
SmithSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2016, 03:58 AM   #2
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Scott

First off welcome to this Luger Forum.

I see you asked a lot of questions, but before we start answering them I would advise you to read the so called FAQ first, where I'm sure you'll already find most of the answers.
Moreover since a picture is better than a thousand words, I'm sure some close up photos will be useful.

Best regards.
Unread 04-20-2016, 06:38 AM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

And photos are much better than even the most detailed description.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Scott, and welcome to the forum.

With a 1933 date, you have a 06/29 W+F Swiss Luger.

From this period, these typically have red canvesite grips, which are remarkable breakable. Be very careful handling it.

The P is the privatization mark struck when it was sold to the officer that carried it upon retirement.

While it was typical for the Swiss arsenal to refinish and rework their Lugers, many of these are in remarkably fine original condition. I have two from 1935 and 1938 that have almost perfect original very dark salt blued and slightly plum finish.

I think that in this period they had some metallurgy and bluing finish issues that lead to the plum color. This is present on my pistols, and also on a replacement barrel on a M1900 that was probably reworked in this period.

The "N" mark is Sig Neunhausen's mark. They made many of the component parts of these Lugers.

The CG relates to the alloy of metal the part is made from.

The BP mark is the firing proof mark.

These are the highest precision Lugers I know of, and I like them very much. Is your's visibly import marked. Most are. Sometimes (prior to 2000) they were import marked under the grips.

Marc
Unread 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
DTR04
User

Sounds like a nice pistol. You have one of the earliest 06/29's as production started in 1933 with serial number 50001.
DTR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
SmithSwede
User

Thanks for info. Very interesting.

I don't see any import marks anywhere. Not sure what that means.

I've ordered Datig's book on the Swiss variation Lugers. Any other recommended resource?
Unread 04-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Look for Bobba's book on "The Swiss Parabellum". It's in English and Italian, and a very good reference.

Marc
Unread 04-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
Sergio Natali
User

... and... I hate to insist but so far we've not seen a single picture of that Luger...
Attached Images

Unread 04-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #9
SmithSwede
User

Sorry about lack of photos. I'm not tech savvy. Trying to figure out how to do the picture thing. But keep blowing the vacuum tubes in my computer
Unread 04-22-2016, 12:11 AM   #10
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

At the risk of going off-topic... Since there's help available right here for anybody that needs it, the days of getting off the hook by means of this old canard may be numbered. If anyone has a problem taking pics--equipment, set-up, whatever--the off topic section is available to ask for help. Problems getting the pics from your phone or camera to the computer? Plenty of us know how and can walk you through it, no problem, easy peasy. I am still of the opinion that unless your cell phone has a rotary dial, it is capable of decent pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12974284_1067284380024105_7232681363533528930_n.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	58334  

Unread 04-22-2016, 04:16 AM   #11
Sergio Natali
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
At the risk of going off-topic... Since there's help available right here for anybody that needs it, the days of getting off the hook by means of this old canard may be numbered. If anyone has a problem taking pics--equipment, set-up, whatever--the off topic section is available to ask for help. Problems getting the pics from your phone or camera to the computer? Plenty of us know how and can walk you through it, no problem, easy peasy. I am still of the opinion that unless your cell phone has a rotary dial, it is capable of decent pics!
Quite amusing!!
Unread 04-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #12
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

The P on the magazine is for Paillard. The magazine manufacturer. Most other markings identify subcontractors and materials. The rifle N stands for SIG in Neunhausen.

We published a full list of Swiss suppliers in our book 'The Parabellum Is Back'.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote