LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 07-02-2002, 06:31 PM   #1
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
Post Who Does Barrel Changing on Lugers?

I have a new, 6 inch Luger barrel in 7.65mm that I'd like installed on a receiver. The receiver I have has an Artillery barrel that was cut about two inches in front of the rear sight base. The rear sight assembly is completely gone. The receiver shows indications that a previous owner tried to remove the barrel but couldn't.

Who changes barrels and what do they charge?
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2002, 06:44 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Hugh Clark has done many and has a very good reputation. Why do idiots screw up guns? There should be a law.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2002, 10:56 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Doubs...

In addition to Hugh Clark's quality work, I know that Tom Heller, and Art Buchanan are also capable of changing barrels without marring them or the receiver. Don't try this at home kids! Ted Green (Thor) may also have this ability but I don't know for sure... Maybe he will read this thread and tell us...

If ayone else who is a member of the Lugerforum has this ability, or if you know of a good Lugersmith that is not common knowledge here on the forum, please feel free to chime in here and let us all know.

Now about that butchered Artillery... Are you aware that NEW reproduction artillery barrels are available from more than one source? Tom Heller is one of those sources, and the last that I heard, he could also get reproduction rear sights as well... IF I were you. I would restore the artillery and find a shot out standard model for your 6 inch tube...

Just my 2 Pfennig on the matter...

Let us know how your project turns out.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2002, 03:13 PM   #4
Doubs
User

RK and John, thank you both for the suggestions. It seems that Hugh has a good reputation.

John, I didn't go far enough in explaining the butchered Artillery barrel/receiver I have. It's not part of a complete gun. I bought only the barrel/receiver. It also has the trigger bar in place but the ejector is missing. My plan is to have a frame with a 9mm top and also a .30 caliber top. I have an East German rework that's just a shooter and it works fine with 9mm. I'd like to add a .30 top assembly.

However, I also have a 9mm barrel/receiver that I can re-barrel in .30 so I may save the Artillery receiver for later. A good idea, so thanks.
Unread 07-05-2002, 10:06 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Doubs, Don't forget that in changing barrel calibers, you probably will have to change the recoil spring also. I just installed an original 1920s 7.65x150mm barrel on a customer's luger that was formerly a 9mm and the existing recoil spring was way too strong. Sometimes an original 7.65mm spring will work with both calibers, if you only use light 9mm loads. I've rebarreled an average of one luger a week now for the past several years, and I don't like the Gun Parts Corp barrels, since they are difficult to install and alway need a chamber ream, which is usually extra cost. If this is what you have, I'd advise sending it back for a refund before your mark it up. Tom H.
Unread 07-05-2002, 05:00 PM   #6
Doubs
User

Tom, I've had the barrel for some years now and have no idea where I came by it. I *think* I bought it at a gun show but it's been so long I've forgotten. It appears to be quite well made, has six lands and has a plain front sight that would give a patridge image when sighting. The sight base is grooved to reduce reflections but the rear of the sight isn't and has parallel sides rather than the corn kernel shape like the Mauser rifle sights. The back of the front sight slants upward from the base and then goes vertical for the final .1 - .15". Does that sound like a GPC or Sarco barrel? I also have extra recoil springs if I need to replace the original.