LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 09-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #21
JD
User

Rhuff,

My standard 9mm load is 7.5 grains of BD with a Remington 115 JHP, loaded with an O.L. of 1.14 inches. This produces approx. 1,150 fps in my Sig 226's. I also use the same charge with 115 grain FMJ bullets (not plated, but FMJ), but loaded to an O.L. of 1.17" or a bit longer depending on what your gun will handle and likes. With 115 grain FMJ's, the velocity is closer to 1,100 fps, probably due to the fact that they usually have less bearing surface. I do shoot this load out of my Interarms lugers and my Finnish luger, and it functions perfectly and is quite accurate, with the Remington bullet being more accurate than the FMJ. Back when my eyesight was better (getting old is a pain!!!) I would get 5 shot groups at 25 yards from several of my lugers that would run 1" or just a hair more. Groups from my Sig 226's run about 1.75", which is as good as they do with anything.

One of the keys to good 9mm loads (I believe) is the cartridge O.L. length. For me, longer is better. Longer cartridges function better in my guns and are more accurate. Shortening the O.L. will raise pressures and BD seems to be rather sensitive to this, so you want to make sure that the bullets can't be set back during functioning and feeding. BD also tends to produce more muzzle flash than many powders, but muzzle flash doesn't bother me so I don't mind.

The other load I routinely use in my modern 9mm's is 8.0 grains of BD, with the same bullets. The Remington load gives approx. 1,250 fps out of my Sig 226's, and 1,400 fps out of the 6" barrel of my Browning Hi Power GP comp. This load will produce 3/4" 5 shot groups at 25 yard out of the GP Comp (at least when I do my part, which is getting harder as I get older...). I have safely used up to 8.8 grains of BD with a 115 JHP in my modern guns, but I don't load that warm anymore, choosing to be easier on my guns instead. The 8.0 grain load is the best that I have found in my GP Comp.

I got started using BD in the 9mm way back when, and it has always served me well, but there are so many new and good powders out there now if I were starting to load for the 9mm today, I'm not sure where I would start. Plus every gun is a law unto itself... My Sig 228 shoots nice groups with my 7.5 grains of BD and the 115 grain Remington bullet, but put a 115 grain FMJ on that load and the groups open up to 3 times the size, but that same load shoots well in my Sig 226's and CZ 75's..... Maybe that's why reloading is interesting.....
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to JD for your post:
Unread 09-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #22
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Maybe that's why reloading is interesting.....
Interesting way of saying frustrating.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #23
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
Interesting way of saying frustrating.

And at times "exciting"!! Thank you JD for the info. I will file that away as my memory is less than 100% these days.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #24
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Richard,

My load data: CCI primer, 7.0 gr. Blue Dot, 115 gr. plated RN bullet, 1.160 OAL, medium crimp.
KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Karl for your post:
Unread 09-21-2016, 02:51 AM   #25
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
JD,

If you don't mind, I am curious/interested as to what loading data that you are using in the 9mm brass. If you would rather not post it, you can send it via PM. You obviously are having great success with your loads, and it is hard to argue with success!!

Karl,

Would you mind sharing your loading data also??

I am always more than willing to learn new things, especially concerning handloading....thanx
Hi,

Ya, Id like to get those loads too, as I've never had any real success with BD in any normal barrel length 9mm.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #26
Tango3
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Eric,

I can't comment on other brands of polymer coated bullets. The brand I tested was Acme and as noted I found them to be unsatisfactory despite the increased velocity. I don't think that the bullets used in American Eagle ammo are available for reloading. However, I would be interested in your comparison for accuracy between the American Eagle ammo and another brand using FMJ bullets.
KFS
First range trip with a Parabellum yesterday. It went swimmingly! As per above, I ran 200 rounds through her: 100 rounds of the 115 gr red polymer coated American Eagles FPJ, 50 rounds 115 gr WWB FMJ, and 50 rounds 115 gr Herters FMJ. They all fed and fired well; no failures of any kind using 3 new Mec-gar mags. The red polymer Eagles had the best accuracy, followed by the WWB, with Herters last. However, there wasn't a huge difference with the precisely shooting Parabellum liking them all. I was all grins shooting this thing. It was awesome! Range report tomorrow.

Eric
Tango3 is offline   Reply With Quote