LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 11-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #21
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGP2101 View Post
In a mechanically sound device slow to medium speed burning powder will solve all of your problems. Modern powders are too fast and snappy for P08. Off shelf ammo being loaded with very fast BR powders are not ideal food for P08s. Reason for that is to ensure proper functioning of majority carry weapons on today's USA market. Most of them have pipes less than 10 cm long. Nitrocellulose based powders from the beginning of the 20ieth century were not fast BR powders.
I understand that. The challenge is to make the gun work with modern factory ammo.
Unread 11-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #22
lugercollector
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I think the problem is with the feed ramp......when you cycle the Luger manually.....does it feed and eject properly?
lugercollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #23
LugerVern
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugercollector View Post
I think the problem is with the feed ramp......when you cycle the Luger manually.....does it feed and eject properly?
I played with this idea in the past, and it has some bases but may not be what your expecting.

A long time a go I had a perfectly functioning luger and as any gunsmith will tell you leaving your gun alone is next to impossible

I polished the feed ramp to a mirror smooth surface and then the problems with jams started, it wasn't until several hundred rounds later that it settled down and started functioning properly again.

As a new bullet goes up the ramp, a mirror smooth ramp allows the bullet to float and cause a jam. With some resistance the nose of the bullet is forced down and enters the chamber properly.

Seems strange but very true, lugers are very interesting guns

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to LugerVern for your post:
Unread 11-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #24
Sieger
User

Quote:
In a mechanically sound device slow to medium speed burning powder will solve all of your problems. Modern powders are too fast and snappy for P08. Off shelf ammo being loaded with very fast BR powders are not ideal food for P08s. Reason for that is to ensure proper functioning of majority carry weapons on today's USA market. Most of them have pipes less than 10 cm long. Nitrocellulose based powders from the beginning of the 20ieth century were not fast BR powders.
Hi,

What you say here is one of the secrets of getting a Luger to function properly.

Unfortunately, few people know about this, or, if they do, are willing to believe it.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 12-15-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #25
SIGP2101
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

Unfortunately, few people either know about this,...
Sieger
That is the problem, then they start playing with springs, modifying them, exchanging them, replacing them. Then they sell it to the next person and fiddling continues.

Only way to modify P08 to digest modern ammo would be to some how magically increase overall mass of the breach or move forward the point where rear toggle link links with 'S' link . Moving this point forward by even a fraction of a mm would tremendously decrease cycling rate of toggle train.
Increasing or decreasing spring preload will lead only to premature wear and tear of various parts.
SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to SIGP2101 for your post:
Unread 11-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #26
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Lock Open is Sporadic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zeleny View Post
No flaws anywhere to be seen; lock open is sporadic.
With the upper removed, and the sear bar removed does the toggle move smoothly for the full length of its travel? or is there any hesitation or roughness?

Failure to lock open with only one round in the chamber and an empty magazine inserted indicates either a holdopen that has restricted movement (rubbing on the right grip), or that the mainspring force is too heavy. This is the first problem you need to solve before delving into magazine/feeding issues.

1. Check that the magazine button has no rubbing issues at the top of its travel in an empty magazine.

2. Check that the right grip is not preventing the magazine button from moving to the full up position because it is improperly inletted on the inside, or may be slightly oversize on the inside as a bakelite mold error, causing friction and preventing the holdopen from restraining the slide when firing that single round. You can test this by removing the upper and inserting an empty magazine and watching the holdopen. If it hesitates, even a little, it is rubbing the grip. There should be full motion of the holdopen doing this exercise with the right grip removed. The action should be identical with the right grip installed.

3. Install the mainspring from your LP.08 and see how that affects operation. The same results? or not?

4. Obtain an aftermarket mainspring from Wolff that is 16 LBs or less, and start removing approximately a half turn of spring one snip at a time until you are functioning with 115 Winchester White Box. Do this until you achieve lock open 100% of the time.

Anxious to hear how this exercise plays out...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 11-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #27
kurusu
User

Quote:
That is the problem, then they start playing with springs, modifying them, exchanging them, replacing them. Then they sell it to the next person and fiddling continues.

Only way to modify P08 to digest modern ammo would be to some how magically increase overall mass of the breach or move forward the point where rear toggle link links with 'S' link . Moving this point forward by even a fraction of a mm would tremendously decrease cycling rate of toggle train.
Increasing or decreasing spring preload will lead only to premature wear and tear of various parts.
I beg to differ. Both my P08s ( BYF 41 and a 1915 DWM) work without problems with current ammo ( Winchester White box; Magtech and Geco) and with my reloads with slower powders (VV N340 and Vectan BA9).
I believe they both still have their original springs.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 11-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #28
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post

Failure to lock open with only one round in the chamber and an empty magazine inserted indicates either a holdopen that has restricted movement (rubbing on the right grip), or that the mainspring force is too heavy.
Sporadic failure to lock open with Winchester ammo is not uncommon. I only had 99% lock open when I used Portuguese military grade ammo.
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 11-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #29
SIGP2101
User

Another way would be to install adjustable spring. There was a discussion about it while ago. Even patent drawing was provided. Then play with various tensions till desirable outcome is achieved.
Unread 11-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #30
SIGP2101
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
I beg to differ. Both my P08s ( BYF 41 and a 1915 DWM) work without problems with current ammo ( Winchester White box; Magtech and Geco) and with my reloads with slower powders (VV N340 and Vectan BA9).
I believe you. I had same experience with few P08 myself. Lots of them work flawlessly but topics is about stubborn ones and how to make them work.
Another important aspect is OAL. My experience with WWB is that is not consistent from box to box.
The following 2 members says Thank You to SIGP2101 for your post:
Unread 11-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #31
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:

You don't need to increase the mass of the toggle train, provided that a heavy and/or long barrel is in place. An increase in the mass of the canon assembly generally suffices to delay the unlocking of the breech to the point of ensuring reliability.
Unread 11-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #32
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Sporadic failure to lock open with Winchester ammo is not uncommon. I only had 99% lock open when I used Portuguese military grade ammo.
Portugal being the founding member of NATO, the standing consensus of this forum is to eschew such loads. I am tempted to reinstall the standard recoil spring and give it a go.
The following member says Thank You to Michael Zeleny for your post:
Unread 11-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #33
SIGP2101
User

Quote:
You don't need to increase the mass of the toggle train, provided that a heavy and/or long barrel is in place.
Right, but this is not your case judging by pic provided. My idea, was just to illustrate non feasibility of such undertake. We are talking about serious reengineering of ready made product. Keep searching for right ammo combination or get down to proper load and go from there. This will be the starting point with good indications if any other parts will have to be brought up to the right specs.
If you decide to go with heavier barrel you will be opening whole new can of worms.
Unread 11-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #34
kurusu
User

Quote:
Portugal being the founding member of NATO, the standing consensus of this forum is to eschew such loads. I am tempted to reinstall the standard recoil spring and give it a go.
I agree you should give it a try. It was going to be my next suggestion anyway.
Unread 11-05-2014, 03:59 AM   #35
Sieger
User

Quote:
Hi,

For a perfect fast powder target load, that works every time, try the following:

WW Commercial Cases
Remington 1 1/2 Primers
Hornady 124 gr FMJRN
Bullseye 3.7 grains
Cartridge Overall Length 1.173 inches

This is a fantastic target load, but it is a light one, less than 1,000 fps. On normal occasions, with hand held over a sandbag, up to seven have touched on a 25 yard target.

If you HAVE TO shoot fast powder, this load is an excellent one to use. Higher powder charges with this powder will cause both wider groups and cause jams.

The Winchester White Box, for me anyway, is not accurate in a Luger, as it throws bullets all over the paper at 25 yards, whereas, my carefully crafted handloads will put all eight in the 10 ring at 25 yards. Please search this section for a full listing of my most accurate handloads, if you like.

Just some of my experience with fast powders in a Luger.

Sieger
The following member says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 11-05-2014, 04:22 AM   #36
Sieger
User

Quote:
I agree you should give it a try. It was going to be my next suggestion anyway.
Hi,

I don't know what the Europeans are loading as NATO Spec. ammo, but according to our government's official publications on the matter, we are loading a 121 grain bullet to 1,260 fps. (as shot through a pistol)

According to extensive research I have done, in both German commercial and military publications of the period, the original WWII German 9mm Pistol ammo was loaded as follows: 123 grain bullet to 1,076 fps. (as shot through a pistol)

Just do the math. The U.S. NATO Spec. loading is overloaded by approximately 184 fps or 17%. Though this is not a perfect comparison, I think we can all agree that more "energy" is needed to throw approximately the same weight bullet 184 fps faster.

The implied conclusion, from these facts, is that one shouldn't need ammo overloaded by some 17% to get a Luger to function properly (with an original set of springs, in spec., anyway).

Your thoughts?

Sieger
Unread 11-05-2014, 04:36 AM   #37
kurusu
User

Quote:
Hi,

For a perfect fast powder target load, that works every time, try the following:

WW Commercial Cases
Remington 1 1/2 Primers
Hornady 124 gr FMJRN
Bullseye 3.7 grains
Cartridge Overall Length 1.173 inches

This is a fantastic target load, but it is a light one, less than 1,000 fps. On normal occasions, with hand held over a sandbag, up to seven have touched on a 25 yard target.
Sieger
I avoid reloading with fast powders. Exception .32 wadcutter

Quote:
The Winchester White Box, for me anyway, is not accurate in a Luger, as it throws bullets all over the paper at 25 yards, where was, my carefully crafted handloads will put all eight in the 10 ring at 25 yards. Please search this section for a full listing of my most accurate handloads, if you like.

Just some of my experience with fast powders in a Luger.

Sieger
There's a trick to WWBox. You have to sort them out by weight.
Proof. Competition target 25 meters one hand shooting
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mcruz-50-series-IMG_3101.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	43858
Unread 11-05-2014, 04:44 AM   #38
Sieger
User

Quote:
Hi,

I had no idea that Portugal was the founder of NATO, as they didn't even participate in WWII.

Sieger
Unread 11-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #39
kurusu
User

Quote:
Hi,

I don't know what the Europeans are loading as NATO Spec. ammo, but according to our government's official publications on the matter, we are loading a 121 grain bullet to 1,260 fps. (as shot through a pistol)

Sieger
I don't know what is being made all over Europe as NATO SPEC 9mm.

Portuguese loads (no longer available since the Government shut down the facilities around 2005) used 115 grain bullet at, if memory serves me right, around 1240 1280 fps.

Quote:
According to extensive research I have done, in both German commercial and military publications of the period, the original WWII German 9mm Pistol ammo was loaded as follows: 123 grain bullet to 1,076 fps. (as shot through a pistol)

Just do the math. The U.S. NATO Spec. loading is overloaded by approximately 184 fps or 17%. Though this is not a perfect comparison, I think we can all agree that more "energy" is needed to throw approximately the same weight bullet 184 fps faster.

The implied conclusion, from these facts, is that one shouldn't need ammo overloaded by some 17% to get a Luger to function properly (with an original set of springs in good shape, anyway).

Your thoughts?

Sieger
I would not shoot 121 grain bullets at 1260 fps from my P08 either.

Last edited by kurusu; 11-05-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Unread 11-05-2014, 04:48 AM   #40
Sieger
User

Quote:
I avoid reloading with fast powders. Exception .32 wadcutter

There's a trick to WWBox. You have to sort them out by weight.
Proof. Competition target 25 meters one hand shooting
Attachment 43858
Hi,

You may not reload with fast powders, but if your shooting White Box, you certainly are shooting it.

Well, whatever "sorting" you are doing with White Box, apparently, seems to be working for you!

Good shooting!!!

Sieger