LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 08-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
robbt
User

Default hollow points in the luger

hi guys , I am thinking on loading some hollow points for my Mauser Luger any pointers on which HP will feed & function thru a Luger ??
robbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Often problematic, apparently. However check out Richard's post http://forum.lugerforum.com/showpost...5&postcount=36 which shows different OAL for each type of bullet. I believe the best chance of getting hollow points to function acceptably is to adjust the OAL of your load.
Unread 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
JD
User

I've had very good luck with the Remington 115 and 124 grain hollow points. The 115 grain hollow point especially has a very rounded profile much like a fmj. You will need to play around with the overall loaded length (OAL) for proper functioning. I would start with an OAL of around 1.130" and load progressively longer and see what functions best in your particular gun. Lugers seem to function best with ammo loaded towards the long side. Please be aware that loading to a short OAL can raise pressures substantially.

For factory loads, the Federal 115 grain standard pressure hollow point (9BP product code) functions and shoots extremely well in all of my lugers...

Last edited by JD; 09-17-2014 at 04:23 PM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

many of the more expensive ones now come with a tip on them or the hollow point is kinda drawn down smaller. personally, you have to shoot several brands and find what she likes
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
JTD
User

And most of the fancy hollow points factory loaded are hot, or +P, and not good for a luger, unless your goal is to damage it. John
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Peter S
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD View Post
And most of the fancy hollow points factory loaded are hot, or +P, and not good for a luger, unless your goal is to damage it. John
He is asking about bullets in order to do his own reloading so off the shelf ammo does not come into play.
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I did not have great success with the Hornady 93gr .309 JHP bullet. I tried it at different OALs and I have yet to find a combo that my shooter Lugers like. Of course, these are hollow point bullets designed for the 30 luger brass. I have no experience with loading HP bullets in 9mm brass for any of my 9mm lugers.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
noylj
User

My four 9x19 "Lugers" feed everything I have given them, including JHPs and L-SWCs. As above, the secret isn't the gun as much as it is the COL and when the magazine releases the round to be chambered.
If I had to pick the "best" feeding JHPs, they would be the JRNHP vs the JCHP. See Zero's 121gn .38 Super JHP for what I mean.
My most troublesome 9x19 for feeding is a Browning Hi-Power I bought in 1972. It is very particular about COL so I learned very early to work up the COL and find the range that worked. Lugers have been no problem at all in comparison.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #9
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

Default Hornady XTP...

I've had great luck reloading Hornady XTP bullets. It is a trunicated cone design and feeds great. I probably shoot more of the 90 gr. versions than all others put together...
Unread 09-13-2014, 06:48 AM   #10
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Years ago, I tried some hollow points. Did not work well, so I never tried again.
Unread 09-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Sonofeugene
User

I tried a few different types of HP's in my 1942 byf and had a few FtF's so I went back to feeding it a diet of FMJ and have had no problems since. I save the hollow points fo my Glock.
Sonofeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Sonofeugene for your post:
Unread 09-14-2014, 02:55 AM   #12
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

With all he respect, I don' really see the point of using "hollow point" bullets in a LUGER.
Personally I would use hollow point cartridges only in a personal defence pistol, while in a P08 LUGER perhaps would be more correct to use Wehrmacht sort of ammo.

My 2 cents.
Unread 09-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
With all he respect, I don' really see the point of using "hollow point" bullets in a LUGER.
Personally I would use hollow point cartridges only in a personal defence pistol, while in a P08 LUGER perhaps would be more correct to use Wehrmacht sort of ammo.

My 2 cents.

Many of the folks that shoot Bullseye Competition swear that hollow point bullets are more accurate then RN and SWC bullets. I am speaking in general as to handguns used, and not to Lugers specifically. There was such a bullet shortage here in the USA recently, that reloaders purchased whatever they could find. I am happy to report that the bullet shortage is over.....for now, anyway.
Unread 09-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #14
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Hi Richard

Thanks for the answer, browsing through several gun forums I sometime read about people grumbling because of "ammo shortage", I realize I'm going to ask a naive question but I wonder who/what caused this shortage.
Unread 09-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

When there is a shift of political power(to the left) at the highest levels, it usually results in "panic buying" of items that are believed will be outlawed by said political powers. Be it handguns, AR 15s, ammo, handloading components, etc., they all are in high demand by the folks worried about not being able to purchase these articles. It boils down to supply and demand with the prices responding to the higher demands!!
Unread 09-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #16
noylj
User

With all due respect, I find that L-SWC and JHP bullets are the most accurate in my handguns and I see no reason to shoot anything else than what is accurate. My P-08s all handle JHPs and L-SWCs with ease, so why wouldn't I use them?
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #17
Sonofeugene
User

Since it's almost certain you will give up possession of a firearm that is actually used to stop a threat, it's best to not use valuable, sentimental or collector weapons for self defense. Even if you do get it back, it likely won't be in the same condition.
Sonofeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Sonofeugene for your post:
Unread 09-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #18
stressed
User

I've fired dozens of different JHP's, solid copper, etc out of my G date. All functioned flawlessly. Obviously when the gun is getting dirty it starts to have problems, but clean fires everything and anything.

I've found a round that duplicated the original 92gr Sintered Iron WWII Wehrmacht load. It's a solid copper expanding monoblock, 92gr by Fiocchi that will feed reliably in even a dirty luger due to it's profile. It's chrono'd 1271fps out of P08 and 1694fps out of MP40.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/249...lock-box-of-50
Looking for any Mauser S/42 #89 parts
stressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #19
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressed View Post
I've found a round that duplicated the original 92gr Sintered Iron WWII Wehrmacht load. It's a solid copper expanding monoblock, 92gr by Fiocchi that will feed reliably in even a dirty luger due to it's profile.]
I wonder, do these come in .30 Luger, too? The weight is close to what we need...
Unread 09-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #20
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

If you could locate a solid copper monobloc 30 luger bullet, it would weight considerably less than a 93gr LRN or 93gr FMJ. By producing the bullet from solid copper and having no lead component to it, the weight would likely be ~78-80gr, perhaps less. It would be a screamer when loaded up hot!!!
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post: