LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 04-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
4 Scale
User

Default Winchester Ammo Incident

There seems to be a consensus that WWB 115 gr. is ideal for Lugers. I use it and was therefore interested in this incident where an apparently overloaded Winchester round damaged a pistol. He was shooting .40 Winchester 'range ammo', I assume that means WWB.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...0-blew-up.html

As this seems like a rare occurrence I will keep using WWB but likely experiment with other brands. For example Blazer Brass 115 gr. as it has slightly less energy and muzzle velocity (323 FP and 1150 FPS) than WWB (362 FP and 1190 FPS). My guess is any FMG in this energy range from a major manufacturer would work as well in the Luger as WWB.

I am not bashing or recommending any ammo brand, just passing along information I found interesting.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 04-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

That is definitely an interesting case. It almost looks like the round fired out of battery. I would love to see the brass case that did the damage, as that would give a lot of information. It well could be a double charge of powder, but that would be very rare, considering the factory inline loaders, but weird things happen everyday.

Another possibility is a squib round(no powder, or not enough powder to force the bullet out of the bbl.) on the round prior to the kaboom!!

Thanx for the post. Some folks here have had problems with Remington 115gr FMJ ammo in their Lugers(jamming).
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 04-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
4 Scale
User

If you scroll through the thread they show a picture of the brass case. If you go to near the end, the HK reply to the guy is "our firearm was not the issue" while Winchester tells him they will be sending him a new pistol and complementary ammo, suggesting that Winchester's round was the issue.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 04-30-2017, 03:07 AM   #4
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

It was first, a 40 cal S&W, a cartridge known to operate at high chamber pressures. It blew out at the feed ramp and extractor cut, the unsupported portion of the barrel/chamber. High pressure? Maybe. Another possibility is a poorly formed and drawn case, with a defective web. I don't buy into the "double charge" theory. A double, in my experience, would have caused more damage at the chamber. This blew the case, and vented into the magazine well, cracking the plastic frame, and popping some other parts loose. I think it was a bad piece of brass.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post: