LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 05-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts
Default Think you can shoot your 9mm?

Check out this Jerry Miculek video. Shows you what a 9 can really do in the right hands.

http://concealednation.org/2014/08/v...th-his-sw-929/
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Impressive! Shooting 150' high to "drop it in"? Wow
Unread 05-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I think he confused his terms. He more than likely aimed 7-8 yards over his target.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I'm not sure. My trajectory tables don't go that high.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
nukem556
User

According to the Hornady ballistic calculator, a 124gr 9mm bullet at 1150fps will drop 247 feet and be going 446fps at a 1000 yards.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to nukem556 for your post:
Unread 05-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

So maybe an LP08 with a tangent sight isn't such a crazy idea after all...

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 05-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I just watched this and a couple of things make no sense to me. You watch the guy's shots and there is no great elevation..it looks as though he is shooting pretty much level actually.
Then the guy shows the bullet impact 18 inches from the balloon. So the balloon was not actually hit..splatter from the steel killed it not a direct hit. If you elevate an Artillery sight to 1000 yards there appears to be quite a muzzle raise. It's actually impressive that he hit the steel sheet though. Just a weird video I think.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 05-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
JTD
User

If that video and sound are correct, that bullet got there REALLY fast for 9mm. A fast high power rifle would take about 3/4 +/- of a second to get there (3000 feet away)
That is not an easy shot for a purpose built rifle with high magnification optics and a bench.
I have some serious doubts about this claim, and would have to see it to believe it.
Jerry is right on about muzzle rise. I believe a 3500 fps VLD bullet with a balistic coeficent of 500 needs around 80 some min. of elevation to make it down there. A 9mm pistol bullet has so much drag and is so low a B.C. I can't see two bullets hitting within 10 feet of each other under perfect conditions of the two shots. John
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2015, 03:21 AM   #9
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD View Post
If that video and sound are correct, that bullet got there REALLY fast for 9mm. A fast high power rifle would take about 3/4 +/- of a second to get there (3000 feet away)
That is not an easy shot for a purpose built rifle with high magnification optics and a bench.
I have some serious doubts about this claim, and would have to see it to believe it.
Jerry is right on about muzzle rise. I believe a 3500 fps VLD bullet with a balistic coeficent of 500 needs around 80 some min. of elevation to make it down there. A 9mm pistol bullet has so much drag and is so low a B.C. I can't see two bullets hitting within 10 feet of each other under perfect conditions of the two shots. John

How much as I like Jerry Miculeck it's hard to believe, still it's even harder to believe 12 shots under 3 seconds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

... and 8 rounds in one second...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM

... but he did it!

Sergio
Unread 05-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #10
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I agree, i didn't notice much elevation in the pistol and I heard a loud thump well before the ring of metal target. I think he bounced a round off the road on the way down to the target. I'm sure there was just a huge rice field behind that shooting range, because I wouldn't want to think he was recklessly lobbing lead down range . . .
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #11
boogieman
User

I dont think he would risk his reputation on a fake. Im sure that shot was well rehearsed prior to filming. It did look like the gun was held a little flat, I think that was camera angle. Also if you draw a triangle with one leg at 1000yds and the other at 80yds its only a 5 deg angle. Not very noticeable over a 6" barrel.
boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #12
Eugen
User

Exclamation

Freakin' amazing!
Eugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #13
spacecoast
User

Miculek seems to be doing some pretty crazy stuff lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMLSkZnW1u0
spacecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #14
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast View Post
Miculek seems to be doing some pretty crazy stuff lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMLSkZnW1u0
I agree, and in all honesty I preferred the "ordinary" Miculek that could shoot 12 shots in under three seconds.
Unread 01-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #15
Malamute
New User

I think I saw his video that was linked in the first post, it was a while back. When the subject of bullet drop at longer pistol ranges arises on forums, be sure you are not using the drop from muzzle info, rather than drop from a zero'ed distance, they will be quite different.

Many of us in the west shoot pistols at stupid long distances. The g-19 I have, Ive shot it more at 200-300 yards more than any other distance, partly because its easy where I shoot the most, and its quite fun. For a perspective on drop and shooting distance, some ask "how much drop/holdover for X distance?" Well, it doesn't really matter what the figures are, its not how most of us shoot at distance. Rather than "holding over" with the sight tops even and holding them some amount above the target (and therefore obscuring the target), most that are successful use a different method with the sights. By holding more front sight above the rear, and keeping the target/front sight relationship the same, it allows you to see the target, and is more easily repeatable in other environments other than your favorite shooting spot. You cant use that one clump of sagebrush as a reference point someplace else. With the proper method, using a G-19 and WWB ammo, I regularly hit an 18" steel plate at 300 yards by holding the front sight right ON the plate, and lowering the top edge of the rear sight to about 2/3 down the dot in the factory front sight. How much by drop figures? It doesn't really matter what the figures are, its a lot of shooting and trial and error, but once done some, isn't really not that difficult to repeat.

Mistakes in your hold, breathing, and trigger let off are magnified tremendously, but misses in dry dusty country give instant feedback that tends to make you pay very close attention to the basics and knuckle down and start walking them in. I can coach almost anyone that's a fair to decent shooter how to get hits in a few minutes if they listen and take their time. If anyone has doubts (and many do) Id show them in person if they were in the area. Reading Elmer Keiths writing on the matter is how I and many got started, it snowballs from there. Making over half the magazine as hits at 300 yards is tremendously fun and satisfying. I shot only once at the 22" 600 yard plate. I had a spotter with binoculars, but in one magazine, with shots called, I made one hit (sitting/kneeling, two hands, left elbow rested on left knee), on my first ever (and since) try at that range. I have no doubt a shooter the class of Miculek can make hits at crazy distances with enough practice, and Id guess hes shot tens of thousands of rounds in similar shooting.

Once you get it figured out two handed, you can up the challenge by doing it one handed (300 yards). It doesn't happen overnight, but years of background and practice, and scads of "wasted" ammo, and things pick up a bit. Still, almost anyone can do it if they get started right Most that don't believe it tried it once or twice, with poor methods, then proclaim it isn't possible and anyone saying it isn't telling the truth. Practical? No, not really, but it is one of the most fun aspects of shooting recreationally.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Malamute for your post:
Unread 01-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #16
noylj
User

Nice shot. How many shots did he take before that one? How much practice time.
Still, didn't really hit the target. Sort of like using burning black powder to pop the balloon--nice shooting, but not the same as actually HITTING the target.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #17
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

He did hit a 24"X36" steel target at 1000 yards, the balloon was just for visual show. I agree, he probably used up most of a box of ammo until he got that one shot
Unread 01-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #18
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

a number of you guys seem to know him.....call him up and talk to him.....
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #19
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Sorry, but who cares if a target at 1000 yds can be hit occasionally or by accident with a pistol?

It is not like it is something that "needs" to be done, nor is it of any practical value- JMHO.

"Much ado about nothing".
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 02-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #20
22 short
User

I remember years ago Bob Minden was shooting balloons at 200yds with a 2" 38 You could actually see the delay between the shot being fired and the balloon breaking
22 short is offline   Reply With Quote