LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
stantheboltactionman
User

Question Removal of CAI Markings on SOG Lugers

Hi All,
Is it possible or legal to remove the CAI Importers large billboard on the Lugers currently offered by SOG?

See image from Greggy_D post on P08 SOG LUGERS
Thanks,
Stan
stantheboltactionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

From what I've been told by ATF...I own a gun smith business and re-blue a lot of gun....No you can not remove import marks, at least legally.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Here is their guidebook on importing;
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/feib/guidebook.htm

I would say it is NOT legal to change it.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
stantheboltactionman
User

Default Thanks to all!! That is what I thought.

Thanks to all who responded...
This is what I did to my Makarov:
1. Wet Stoned the high spots down of the CAI Imprinting
2. reblued to make LESS conspicuous
You can still read the CAI imprinting, Left the new serial# alone.
I just want the lettering to hide a little better not scream out as it does on my SOG Shooter Luger.

Thanks,
Stan
Unread 01-15-2005, 07:12 PM   #5
Doug G.
User

Stan, while not technically "legal" one would wonder "IF" you did who would know? I mean really if the gun were ever confiscated where would the ATF start a trace? They cannot contact the manufacturer! The only thing is if they were able to raise the markings from the compacted metal.
While I would not do this as most import marked guns are not really worth the effort.
Unread 01-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Navy
RIP

This is analogous to ripping the tags off mattresses. WGAS?

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2005, 07:55 PM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

As we used to say in Nam...DILLIGAS?!
Unread 01-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #8
Navy
RIP

Ron,

NFW, you DGAS.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 11:23 AM   #9
Malcolm P.
User

My understanding of the law is that all the requirements as to marking the gun are imposed upon the importer. Once the consumer purchases the gun, they are free to obliterate any markings on the gun EXCEPT for the serial number. There is no law or regulation that I am aware of that forbids removal of any markings other than the serial number. The import markings are basically there to track the firearm from the importer to the FFL holder. Once it is out of the control of the FFL holder, the buyer can remove the markings. Thor, I know, performs this service.
Malcolm P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
Ron Smith
User

Malcolm,
I agree. the import marks are just an import label. Once it's legally in the country, they are no longer required. If ATF were to, for whatever reason want to trace it. They would do so with the serial #. It would'nt make any difference if it was imported 50 yrs. or a week ago.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
policeluger
RIP

Do not confuse ATF with the mattresses police, one does not exist and one does....which one would you rather answer to..
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #12
stantheboltactionman
User

Well...I don't want to answer to either one.
So, I returned the ugly CAI Marked mismatched duckling to SOG...
Lesson well learned...
Looking to buy from Ralph Shattuck.
C IDGAS!!
Stan
Unread 01-17-2005, 10:46 PM   #13
DougT
User

Stan, good move! Ralph will do you right--garuanteed. If at all possible, make a date with him and buy the gun in person. A visit with Ralph and seeing his collection/inventory is priceless. Be sure to take your high capacity checkbook, and verify that it is fully loaded before you leave. Ralph will show you guns that you may not be able to live without. Enjoy!
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 12:32 AM   #14
susan
User

fwiw; mattress tags typically say something like; "not to be removed except by consumer." they are intended only to describe the filling material from the original manufacturer, since you cannot view it without damaging the goods. they expect you to remove the tag (the one with only one seam to the binding) once purchased because it makes your sheets fit less smoothly, and anyway, it only applies to the first purchaser of the goods. the other tags can be removed at any time, by anyone.

i only add this because it is an "urban myth" kind of thing that is often misunderstood, mostly because people do not read beyond the "under penalty of law this tag is not to be removed" (next words being; except by the consumer.)

it epitomizes the concept that consumers often do not look carefully at what they are buying Once They Think They Have Supported Their Original Opinions about merchandise. well, i think so, anyway. beacause the history of these tags goes further.....there were, from what i have been told, only a few years of tags that did not carry the "except by original owner" qualifier. so many consumers were over concientious about maintaining the tags on their own goods that they asked the manufacturers to replace the goods if the tags came off, and one thing led to another, and it all ended up in court over who was responsible for replacing a used mattress under warranty if the tag fell off... and claiming the mattress was defective IF the tag fell off. so they got the courts to change the requirement, allowing for consumer removal.

it has been more than 35 years since that change occured. still, it was a big deal back then. point is..... once they see the start of the print they think " i know what this is..." and don't bother to read on.

susan my 2cents on human nature....at the end of a long day, so please forgive my ramblings off the original gun question
susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 09:38 AM   #15
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I tend to agree with Susan on this... although I am not a lawyer and don't play one on TV...

A lot of the Eastern Block captured Lugers that have found there way into the USA in the last 20 years were import marked on the barrels. So if you you have a shot out barrel? or just one that is rusty or ugly, does that mean that you can't have the barrel replaced because the gun's import mark was put there? I don't think so...

I have a Garand that was imported by an outfit called "Blue Sky" and the mark is on the barrel where it is readable in the gap around the gas housing... It shoots pretty well, but if it didn't, I wouldn't hesitate to replace the barrel witha new one.

I personally think that the import mark is put there specifically for the import process to meet CUSTOMS requirements, and serves no purpose after that... after all, the importer is not the manufacturer...

Just my

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 10:26 PM   #16
Yogurt
User

I was wondering about the legality of moving the import marks to a more concealed place on the gun. For instance, removing the original CAI markings and relocating it to the frame, underneath the grips. (Like FGS does.)
Yogurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2005, 08:10 AM   #17
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

A direct question about the legality of moving the import marks, or removing them, really needs to be addressed to the ATF and/or Customs and Border Protection (CBP)...

ANY VOLUNTEERS?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 01-21-2005, 09:06 AM   #18
Dok
RIP

Talking

Why is it always 2 cents??? And not 1 cent for information that might be suspect, or 5 cents for information that's highly useful??? Hmmm, maybe we should commission a study....

Dok

http://www.centercustomcases.com/
Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2005, 10:44 AM   #19
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I nominate Dok as chairman of this proposed commission...

(...and Dok, I only have a graphic for $0.02... if you insist on an increase or decrease, that will require chargeable hours for graphics work...and John D. still isn't paying any overtime!)

Unread 01-21-2005, 11:02 AM   #20
Dok
RIP

Oh, be still my heart.... who could turn down such a deal... blood, sweat and tears, all for the mere pleasure of doing it??? Where do I sign up?

Dok

http://www.centercustomcases.com/
Dok is offline   Reply With Quote