LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 04-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
PelicanLuger
User

Question Help w/ info on 1941 maker production and value

Referred to this forum by web-friend from another site. Recent estate sale purchase: Appears to have never been used, only wear is from dirt and insects attacking dye. Leather is thick and has no creases on straps or tool pocket flap. New Old Stock?

Appears to have correct leather stampings; P.08, 41, cxb (Moll, Ledenwarefabrik, Goch, Rheinland), NS eagle, Waffenamt WaA127.
Ink stamp inside lid: 28. April 1941.

No tool, no magazine.

My research found Moll as maker of many P.38 holsters, but I can find no examples of this maker producing a P.08 holster. Does this make it a rare holster? Any assistance is appreciated-thank you.

I'm having difficulty uploading photos-will re-shoot and try later tonight, in the meantime, I can send pix directly if you give me an e-mail. Thank you!
Attached Images

Last edited by PelicanLuger; 04-15-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Add info
PelicanLuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
PelicanLuger
User

Attempt to load more photos...
Attached Images

Unread 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
PelicanLuger
User

One at a time?
Attached Images

Unread 04-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
PelicanLuger
User

And another...
Attached Images

Unread 04-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
PelicanLuger
User

And...
Attached Images

Unread 04-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hello Wayne, and welcome to the forum.

Your pictures are, unfortunately, too small to show detail. Generally, if you prepare Jpegs with about 50% quality compression and 1024 pixels wide they will work well. Just resize them before uploading.

You should be able to upload multiple pictures onto one posting. Use the advanced option and manage attachments to upload them.

Try and add a picture taken edge-on showing the left side edge construction. Also a closeup of the closure strap.

I haven't seen a period WW-II holster with that kind of finish chipping.

Here's an example of one that was recently sold. You can compare the photos to the construction of your holster:

http://www.legacy-collectibles.com/n...r-holster-1449

WaffenAmt office inspector "WaA727" was active at this factory, rather than "127".

Marc
Unread 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
I haven't seen a period WW-II holster with that kind of finish chipping.
As mentioned in the original post, this is insect damage. I have had several leather items similarly damaged here in South Florida.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
PelicanLuger
User

Strap pix
Attached Images

Unread 04-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
PelicanLuger
User

Thanks Marc and alanint,
The construction seems correct, and the insect damage could probably be re-dyed if someone chose to, as the affected areas are generally smooth - the only ate the finish, not the leather itself.

The holster you sent the link for apparently sold for $700, other vintage similar on ebay for $127, or less. I'm not in a position to start collecting here yet, so I'd like this holster to go to someone who appreciates it, but by the same token I don't want to give it away, nor do I expect to get retail prices on sites like ebay. Any suggestions on what to ask or how to fairly represent it on the FS forum to members in this community is appreciated. Thanks.
Unread 04-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
PelicanLuger
User

The spacer is two distinct, thick layers of leather sewn between the front and back outside layers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	41265  

Last edited by PelicanLuger; 04-15-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Add detail
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
PelicanLuger
User

The previous photo of left side edge photo makes the finish appear worse than it really is, only certain of the hard edges are affected by insect damage, and ALL of the stitching is intact throughout. This shot illustrates there's no visible wear to the button hole on the tool holder flap!
Attached Images

Last edited by PelicanLuger; 04-15-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Add
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Wayne..Your last photo is quite surprising! That is a giant spacer block sewn into the edge! Over the many years I have seen Luger holsters come into my shop I have seen some with a similar but much thinner spacer..That one's crazy looking. This is the kind of holster I love to get a hands on look at. Do you have a Luger to drop into this holster? I wonder about the fit.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
PelicanLuger
User

Jerry, sorry, I don't have a pistol to test fit, but see if theses pix provide a reference using a quarter stood up on the edge of the belt loop.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	54
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	41268  

Unread 04-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
PelicanLuger
User

Oops!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	62
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	41269  

Unread 04-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Most luger holster go from $100-$350 - everything depends on condition, condition and the type.

I would guess yours is a bit over the $100 mark - perhaps $150 but nothing close to $700 - that is the problem in seeing an expensive item

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I mainly provided a reference to the one on Legacy Collectibles so that you could compare construction with detailed photos.

Because of the damage, your holster would be worth considerably less. My guess is $200 or so.
Jerry is an expert holster restorer, is available on the board here, and could probably give you good advice about restoration and whether it's advisable.

The very thick looking side could be an artifact of a wide angle lens shooting very closeup.

Marc
Unread 04-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
PelicanLuger
User

Thank you, Ed, Marc and Jerry. I don't have unrealistic expectations as to the retail value vs. pristine examples, but I did want to get a feel for how the dirt and insect damage on the negative side compared to the apparently unused and correct condition on the plus side. I had hoped I might get $300-$400 if I could time it right and find a buyer looking for that year, mark, etc. Would a good cleaning, spot re-dye and leather treatment add or detract from the value?

Jerry, given my poor photo skills, if you want I could take measurements of the case for you if you feel it's something unusual. I might even consider sending it to you for examination prior to listing for sale here in the hope you find some small factor that increases it's value. Let me know what you think...thanks.

Last edited by PelicanLuger; 04-15-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Ki
Unread 04-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #18
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Wayne..I like to be upfront with my opinions. Few collectors will be interested in tour holster in it's present condition.
Would a good cleaning, spot re-dye and leather treatment add or detract from the value? I get this question often. Take your used car down to the for sale lot, dirty, chipped paint, black junk all over the floor mats. Will cleaning it up help you sell it for more? Most people would say yes.

The insect chewed portions.. the insect damage could probably be re-dyed if someone chose to, as the affected areas are generally smooth - the only ate the finish, not the leather itself. UHH nope. The epidermis has been removed. That's the very smooth very thin outer layer. These insects had to eat something so they licked the icing off the cake.
IMO this holster needs a very thorough cleaning, dying and some lanolin. Dying will not FIX these chewed areas..but it will minimize the damage as much as possible. Help to blend them in and they will not be so stark.
Price..Unfortunately for this holster..before poor storage and voracious insects it was durn near mint. The buckle still has almost all it's original paint. Could have been in the$6-700 range easy enough. ANY damage like this to a mint holster is a disaster. As the holster is now I would agree with previous posts. I have a MINT brown Luger holster that would easily be worth $700 except it has a name in ink under the top lid. Now it's a $3-400 holster. MINT is mint and anything less is a kick in the crotch. A name is different than exterior leather damage..
IMO investing say 50 bucks in making the holster look as good as it possibly can might not bring you a huge return but at least it's not money wasted and makes a holster that much easier to sell.
Right now it looks pretty knarley.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #19
PelicanLuger
User

Jerry, if I had it cleaned and re-dyed could I then represent it as an honest holster, say on this forum or would I have to disclose it as"restored"? Honestly, looking at the insect damage thru a magnifying glass, the pores in the leather are intact, so I think a refresh would indeed be worth it. After all, it was meant to be cared for and polished during it's actual service life, so a touch up and conditioning prior to attempting to sell it could, as you say, add value, without misrepresenting the provenance of the piece. Thanks to all for the advice.
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #20
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

Wayne
Holsters are somewhat different than firearms. It is considered ok to have them re-stitched, cleaned up and repaired. However, that work must be done by an expert. As far as I am concerned that can only mean Jerry Burney (lugerholsterrepair) His work is correct. professional and reasonable. He is the only one I will let work on my holsters. Try him I guarantee you will be happy. Bill

Tags
1941, moll, nos