LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 08-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #21
Brickie
User

A dealer named Scott Babcock had tables at the last SOS. The address was Traders of the Lost Surplus, N Palm Spgs,CA. There was an older man who walked with a cane with what appeared to be his son and sons wife. I never had any dealings with T Babcock but was curious to check these tables out. Perhaps the older man was Tim Babock. With so much to see at the show I moved on pretty fast.
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #22
Pete Ebbink
User

http://www.totls.com/

The home page says checks must be made out to "Scott Babbock" only...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 12:43 AM   #23
davidkachel
User

When a company wants checks made out to a person who is not coincidentally the name of the company, something fishy is going on. They may just be trying to dodge the IRS (there's a wise choice!<not>) or setting themselves up to be able to say: "We are XYZ company. We never heard of Fred Flintstone and are not responsible for checks he received and cashed."
Whenever a client gives me a check made out to me, I give it back and ask them to rewrite it to the company name. Then there is no chance of even an appearance of impropriety.
Unread 08-18-2007, 07:17 AM   #24
ratdog
User

I don't think that company is associated with Tim Babcock, looks like all they deal in is repro junk, Tim deals in orig junk!!!!! It might be related to him in the sense that the guy who runs the business seems to have an attitude towards making a living doing the career he chose. Read some of his rans about taking pics for people and deadbeat buyers, pretty entertaining. A lot of that attitude came across in some emails from Tim Babcock, SO MAYBE THEY ARE RELATED!!!!!!! Either way, maybe avoid both, definitely Tim!!!!..............................B
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #25
Pete Ebbink
User

Curious they want $ 25 just to let you see photos of the stuff they want to sell to you...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #26
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It eliminates the tire kickers.
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #27
davidkachel
User

lew1,
I don't buy that for a second. When someone wants money just to show you what they have for sale, that person is either crooked or the worst businessman on the planet. Period.
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #28
ratdog
User

Quote:
Originally posted by lew1
It eliminates the tire kickers.
Tire kickers for repro crap!!!!!! BS................................B
Unread 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #29
danzig
Banned

Default scott babcock

I was reading on the site you sugested and in the complaints was someone who said they were dealing with a scott babcock and they screwed him on something called a german cross. So that name comes up with the others.
danzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 06:47 AM   #30
ratdog
User

Default Re: scott babcock

Quote:
Originally posted by danzig
I was reading on the site you sugested and in the complaints was someone who said they were dealing with a scott babcock and they screwed him on something called a german cross. So that name comes up with the others.
Interesting Danzig, there may be more to this than is on the surface!!!!
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #31
Mauser720
User

If I may, I want to share my understanding and experiences with Delivery Confirmation. It is true that Deliver Confirmation service provided by the U.S. Postal Service better than simply using standard first class mail. But all it really means is that the postal service is telling you that they did deliver the item. For example, suppose you want to send me a large sum of money and you use Delivery Confirmation. You envelope is dropped in the mail box on the front of my house or in my rural mail box. The mail carrier simply scans the bar code and this "documents" that it was delivered. But now suppose I tell you that I don't care what the post office says, I never got the envelope? Suppose I tell you that someone must have gotten into my mail box. Then what can you do about it? Not much. I have known of cases in which Delivery Confirmation was used to ship something valuable, and yet nothing could be done when the recipient still claimed he never received it. It was simply a case in which the Post Office said "Yes we did" and the recipient said "No you didn't." We may have forum members who are postal service employees and they can explain this better than I can. However, it is my understanding that this "Delivery Confirmation" only means that the mail carrier is stating in effect "this is the date I delivered this item."

I still recommend that whenever you are sending money or something that is valuable through the mail that you send it by CERTIFIED MAIL WITH A RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. This costs more, but it is well worth the extra expense because this way they are going to actually sign a receipt and date it. And this signed receipt will be returned to you and it will stand up in any court in the land. This makes it impossible for people like Mr. Babcock and others like him to claim they never received whatever was sent to them. You now have their signature, and the date they signed for it too.

Also, tell the recipient right up front that you are going to send him the money or holster, or whatever, by certified mail with a return reciept requested. Ask him if that is a problem; i.e., will he be able to sign for it? If he says "No" for whatever reason, then I would not do business with him. If he says "Yes, that's fine" then you have put him on notice that you are going to keep him honest.

It costs only $4.80 for this service, and it is well worth it if you are dealing with a lot of money.

Just my "two cents" worth.

Ron
Unread 08-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #32
ratdog
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Mauser720
If I may, I want to share my understanding and experiences with Delivery Confirmation. It is true that Deliver Confirmation service provided by the U.S. Postal Service better than simply using standard first class mail. But all it really means is that the postal service is telling you that they did deliver the item. For example, suppose you want to send me a large sum of money and you use Delivery Confirmation. You envelope is dropped in the mail box on the front of my house or in my rural mail box. The mail carrier simply scans the bar code and this "documents" that it was delivered. But now suppose I tell you that I don't care what the post office says, I never got the envelope? Suppose I tell you that someone must have gotten into my mail box. Then what can you do about it? Not much. I have known of cases in which Delivery Confirmation was used to ship something valuable, and yet nothing could be done when the recipient still claimed he never received it. It was simply a case in which the Post Office said "Yes we did" and the recipient said "No you didn't." We may have forum members who are postal service employees and they can explain this better than I can. However, it is my understanding that this "Delivery Confirmation" only means that the mail carrier is stating in effect "this is the date I delivered this item."

I still recommend that whenever you are sending money or something that is valuable through the mail that you send it by CERTIFIED MAIL WITH A RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. This costs more, but it is well worth the extra expense because this way they are going to actually sign a receipt and date it. And this signed receipt will be returned to you and it will stand up in any court in the land. This makes it impossible for people like Mr. Babcock and others like him to claim they never received whatever was sent to them. You now have their signature, and the date they signed for it too.

Also, tell the recipient right up front that you are going to send him the money or holster, or whatever, by certified mail with a return reciept requested. Ask him if that is a problem; i.e., will he be able to sign for it? If he says "No" for whatever reason, then I would not do business with him. If he says "Yes, that's fine" then you have put him on notice that you are going to keep him honest.

It costs only $4.80 for this service, and it is well worth it if you are dealing with a lot of money.

Just my "two cents" worth.

Ron
Well Ron, what people don't understand is, that through many emails with this a-hole, I realized he screwed me, so sending back the holster for a refund was not happening in my mind. I already lost 250 on the holster, and an add'l 350 deposit for a Luger that I no longer trusted his opinion on after receiving the POS holster (misrepresented in pics and description). He was adament about keeping my deposit and was going to refund only 200 of the holster. I sent the holster back with the inkling that I never would see a penny back. So the loss was mine on all accounts, whether I had it signed for or not. The other thing is I did this deal without my wife knowing, so it would be tough to go after him with legal issues without her finding out. So I lost all around and will never send money again to anybody, this was the deal that soured all that!!!! .......................B
Unread 08-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #33
Mauser720
User

Ratdog -

Well, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the barrel, and there is no doubt that this guy is one of the worst. Some of the people who responded to your posting mentioned the value of using Delivery Confirmation, and I just wanted to share my experiences with it versus using Certified Mail with a Receipt Requested. I am really sorry this happened to you, and just wish there was some way that people like this could get what they deserve.

Speaking of your wife not know, I know a fellow who wanted a new shotgun real bad, but he was afraid to tell his wife. So he bought it in secret, and stuck it in with the rest of his guns so that his wife would not know about it. About 3 weeks later he hurt his back real bad, and had to be hospitalized. His wife visited him in the hospital and said to him "Honey, you know that shotgun you've been wanting? Why don't you just go ahead and buy it?" So he told her "Oh, honey, you are such a good wife! Thank you so much!" And of course he got out of the hospital in a few days, and to this day his wife still thinks he got it after she gave him permission to buy it!

But anyway, there was another forum member whose posting was "Ripped Off In Miami" and I posted some suggestions to that fellow's dilema. The problem in dealing with the crooks is that it just takes so darned much work to get your money back that most people eventually give up. The crooks are counting on honest people to get tired of it and eventually giving up. The last time I was ripped off, it was for a little over $1,300 and it took me 6 months and untold hours of work to get my money back.

But anyway, I am sincerely sorry this happened to you and glad that you shared your experince with the rest of us so that we can learn from your unfortunate experience.

Ron