Madcow
User

Default Navy on Gunbroker

Iterested in this gun. Any opinions?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=155519394
Unread 02-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
drbuster
User

Madcow (Jim), the 1906 Navy on GB looks OK to my eye. Seeing the GERMANY export stamp under the barrel, in my mind, is some reassurance as to this pistol's authenticity as the faking folks (at least as far as I have experienced) have not put such a stamp on. It is the so-called third model, with the GESICHERT stamped in the upper position and no evidence of removal from the lower position. The holster looks good as does the magazine, cleaning rod and tool. Of course, the straps and stock are missing but the rig as it is, is still very desirable. I would like to hear from others if they see something that doesn't look right as I cannot find any such "red flags". I suspect that it will be bid up substantially higher than the current price. Such a combination of luger and accessories on our propular internet sites would probably demand a $4-$5K asking proce.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Jim, I would ask a few more questions of this seller. I don't like the look of the WW on the back grip strap. I am no expert but I would want someone who is ...to take a look at it. A very good clear closeup photo would help. It actually looks re/mis numbered? So is the mag bottom..Me no like.
The holster has been restored. It had slits put in the back for belt carry and subsequently a stock block added. Imperial Navy holsters are quite rare and this does not detract all that much to me. I would guess that the lifting strap was removed when the slits were made and a poor one replaces the original. Again the rarity of Navy holsters etc.
The tool is Navy proofed but with a Police serial on the back?
I would want a strong return commitment from the seller. I would want to inspect these items in hand.
The Pistol looks good from what I can see..which is little from photo's.

The most di$$icult thing to find if you aquire this rig will be an original $tock. I have come accross VERY few Imperial Navy holsters for sale over the years but they are a dime a dozen compared to stocks.

Good Luck!

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Madcow
User

Now up to 4600.00 (reserve not met) with less than 2 days to go. That is about what I was willing to give for it. I would be curios as to what his reserve is.
Unread 02-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

If this rig is matching and legitimate I would think the reserve is right at $6500-7000.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Big Norm
RIP

I have to agree with Jerry in his analysis of the magazine, grip markings and price. When this P04's price went over $6,000, the seller lost me as a purchaser. But since I have a lot of navies in my collection, I watch this navy a lot.

But has anyone looked at the thumb safety? The "gesichert" is up. The bottom part does not appear to be altered. So this would make this a second issue, not a first issue unaltered. Still a nice P04 and probably more rare than the 1st issue unaltered. But its close. Most of the 1906's that I find are 1st issue altered.

Any other issues that I have with this navy has to do with the bluing. My comments here is that the bluing on the grip safety and the grip seem to be of different hues. The same holds for the rear toggle sight. But I will be the first to admit that this could be just a photography thingy. The actual bluing on this gun could be totally correct. You will only know by holding this apparent treasure in your sweaty and shaky hands after you buy it. Good luck gentlemen.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

I have to agree with Jerry in his analysis of the magazine, grip markings and price. When this P04's price went over $6,000, the seller lost me as a purchaser. But since I have a lot of navies in my collection, I watch this navy a lot.

But has anyone looked at the thumb safety? The "gesichert" is up. The bottom part does not appear to be altered. So this would make this a second issue, not a first issue unaltered. Still a nice P04 and probably more rare than the 1st issue unaltered. But its close. Most of the 1906's that I find are 1st issue altered.

Any other issues that I have with this navy has to do with the bluing. My comments here is that the bluing on the grip safety and the grip seem to be of different hues. The same holds for the rear toggle sight. But I will be the first to admit that this could be just a photography thingy. The actual bluing on this gun could be totally correct. You will only know by holding this apparent treasure in your sweaty and shaky hands after you buy it. Good luck gentlemen.
Big Norm
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Big Norm, In my opinion this gun is a 1st Issue Altered. Even though the old Gesichert has bee cleanly removed, the discoloration points to a spot refinish. I have posted a photo of another altered 1st Issue with similar discoloration. Also, the serial number is, I believe, too low to be a 2nd Issue. Regards, Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9057.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	11954  

Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Big Norm
RIP

Just an after thought, the "GERMANY" that is stamped on this P04 SHOULD in no way affect the price of the gun any more than British proof marks should. But the presence of these marks in no way guarantees or even suggests that this weapon has not been messed with some time during its 100+ years of existence.

But, when a person puts out big buckos for treasure, they expect perfection and authenticity. In their minds, the presence of non factory or British markings DOES affect a articles value. The presence of the "GERMANY" stamp is purely and individual thing. But it does affect the price by reducing the number of buyers willing to pay big money for something.
Big Norm
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
Big Norm
RIP

Norm#2
Yep, the serial numbers have it as a 1st issue altered according the Jan Stills book. Too bad, a nice rarer second issue might justify the price. Even with the pictures that you supplied, it is hard to see the old GESICHERT. JAN STILL mentioned in his book that the erasure of that marking was pretty roughly done. That is how this marking looks on my 06 navies.
Big Norm