LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 09-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
ctl_alt_del
New User

Default Luger Help

I’ve come across a couple beautiful Lugers and I need to find out as much about them, as I can before I make an offer. The seller (a family friend) says she wants top dollar for them but I don’t know enough about them to even guess how much top dollar is). I don’t even know for certain how to refer to these beauties. From the research I’ve done, it appears that I have a Mauser 1937 S/42, a war carry back, chambered in 9MM ;and a Crown N, chambered in 7.65, unknown where it came from (might also be called a DWM?).

What I do know about them:

The 1937 S/42 is a war carry back (without papers) that her father brought back from the war. Serial number is: 4057

The Crown N was also her father’s, but she doesn’t know how he acquired it. Serial number is: 81902. The holster on this one seems to indicate that it was a Volkspolezei weapon, post war, based on the markings.

Serial numbers on both pistols, including the magazines and extra magazines, all match (I’ve not broken them down yet to look at the inside parts, but I’m pretty sure they’re matching, too). Both look to be in really good shape. Both have holsters in decent shape. Neither one has a loading tool. Both have been gathering dust for decades.

If someone could shed any additional light on these beauties, I’d very much appreciate it.

Here’s what I’d love to find out:

How correctly to refer to each of these (as in, if I were selling them, what would I call them?)….Along with the manufacturer, year of manufacture, approximate NRA grade, ballpark high dollar and low dollar value, and the biggest question: If it turns out they’re too expensive for me to purchase, and I want to sell them on the open market for her, instead, should we have them professionally cleaned first? I could do it, but if these are likely multi-thousand dollar guns and I don’t trust myself enough not to screw something up doing that myself.

First 4 pictures attached are of the markings on the Crown N. The Crown N's markings were pretty sparse, other than serial numbers and the Crown N. The next five are of the S/40.

Thanks for your patience with a Luger Newbie.
Attached Images

Last edited by ctl_alt_del; 09-14-2016 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
ctl_alt_del is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luger relic restoration, luger value