LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 09-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
the gunman
User

Default 1941 byf KU

Gentleman here's a find I was happy to get. A Ku byf 41 rig right out of the attic. ( was wrapped in a nazi podium banner) This came from a forum member who is not really a luger collector. He posted it last week . I was the lucky first to respond. Gun 95% all matched but the mags. Which are proper 122 proofed and matched to each other 7900g no luft. proof on mags. Grips are full number marked and 665 proofed. Must say it was a true pleasure doing business with the gentleman that sold it. And a crowning piece to my small collection.

the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

nice find Richie and nice photography (thank the wife again )

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,170 Posts

Hi Richie,

Congratulations on a great find! As with all KU's, the paper trail is important, so if there is any chance to find out where it came from and how it got to the US, that information may be valuable.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts

Nice Rig Richie, That's the way I like them! Perfect collector gun! Best to you, til..lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
the gunman
User

Hi Gerben funny story you might enjoy . upon looking closely at the holster . I seen inside the holster at the toe. What looked like a small piece of rag. It was not. It was one of the very old air mail envelopes stuffed in the bottom. It would not come out and not knowing what it was I dug it out with a pick. It came out in little pieces . Upon looking at some of the pieces ( Now at completly distroyed) I could make out some writing . The writing was Herry j last name chewed up by the pick . Under the name a service number very faint 16105068 under that ( again in very bad shape 1st bn 259inf. I went into google under service numbers (Remember Im not to good on the computer) Punched in the service number Low & behold up comes Henry j Anderson . Only thing listed with it is that he was from St Clair Michigan and inlisted in Chicago Il in 1944. Quite a story. Don't know how to find any other Info. The gun was found in North carolina in an attic wrapped in a nazi podium banner. Along with 2 luftwaffe engraved bayonets , A, 2 model luft dagger , Nazi sword. And trench art canteen to the 45th inf div. I got the banner and the canteen . He sold the rest right off for . He listed the KU rig on the forum . And I was lucky enough to be first to answer. I bought the 3 items. and he was very happy with what he got. I must say Im also quite happy with what I got. a very nice gentleman.

Very Best Regards Richie
Unread 09-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/

Field Title Value Meaning
ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 16105068 16105068
NAME ANDERSON#HENRY#J######## ANDERSON#HENRY#J########
RESIDENCE: STATE 62 MICHIGAN
RESIDENCE: COUNTY 147 ST CLAIR
PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 6120 CHICAGO ILLINOIS
DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 06
DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 10
DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 44
GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT# Private
GRADE: CODE 8 Private
BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION NO# No branch assignment
BRANCH: CODE 02 No branch assignment
FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #
TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
LONGEVITY ### ###
SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life
NATIVITY 62 MICHIGAN
YEAR OF BIRTH 24
RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen
EDUCATION 6 2 years of college
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 992 Undefined Code
MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents
COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 7 Selectees (Enlisted Men)
CARD NUMBER #
BOX NUMBER 0220
FILM REEL NUMBER 2.77#
Unread 09-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
waltherguy
User

Beautiful KU Richie! Now I kinda wish I hadn't passed on the KU I posted on an earlier thread.. then again.. if it was in as good a shape as yours I wouldn't have passed on it! :-) Congrats on a great gun!!
Unread 09-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
the gunman
User

" You amaze me ED " How did you do that...?
Unread 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I have been to this gov't site before and had it saved

So, went to it, then put in the service number, and blam, here is the info.

kinda cool, eh
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 09-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #10
the gunman
User

" Not half as Cool as your wonderful book"
Unread 09-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
Ron Smith
User

259th Infantry Regt. was part of the 65th Div. Possibly a clue here as to where the Luger was taken?

History of the 65th Inf. Div.

On July 1, 1943, formation began of the 65th Infantry Division. On August 16, 1943, MG Stanley Reinhart took command of the newly formed 65th Infantry Division at Camp Shelby, MS. Like many newly formed divisions in 1943, the men of the 65th traveled to different bases with the XV and IX Corps, training and building up for the upcoming battles that would take place across Europe. The 65th Infantry Division trained almost continuously until December 31, 1944 where they staged at Camp Shanks, NY, preparing to embark for France. on January 10, 1945, the 65th Infantry Division boarded troop transports in New York, NY and arrived in Le Havre, France on January 21, 1945.

For the next month, the 65th sorted out its equipment and went through some last minute training in preparation for battle.

The Division Advance Party arrived in Oberesch, Germany on March 2, 1945, followed by other troops of the Division on March 4. On March 9, 1945, the 65th Infantry Division relieved the 26th Infantry Division at the bridghead across the Saar River near Orscholz. 4 days later the 65th sent the 261st Infantry Regiment across the Saar near Menningen to clear the German defenders from the heights south of Merzig. After 4 days of bloody fighting the 261st Regiment swept the Germans from the heights and on March 18th, took the town of Dillingen. The rest of the 65th moved out of the bridgehead sending the 259th Regiment to capture Fraulautern and the 260th Regiment to capture Saarlauten.

After both towns were seized the division re-formed and fought its way through the West Wall and captured NeunKirchen. The division was then relieved and moved to Ottweiler for a much needed break.

Closing into the Schwabenheim area, the division crossed the Rhine with both the 260th and 261st during the night of March 29-30, 1945. It attacked across the Fulda on April 2nd in the wake of the 6th Armored Division, and the 260th reached the Reichensachen-Langenhain line on April 3rd, where it rested as armor with road priority passed it. The same day, the 259th crossed the Werra, and continued to the Greuzberg area on April 4th. The division assaulted Langensalza, which fell on April 6, 1945, but a German counterattack overran a battalion of the 261st at Struth on April 7th. The division restored the situation with air support and went into reserve on April 8th, moving to Berka April 10, 1945.

The division moved to Waltershausen April 11, 1945 and then mopped up stragglers at Arnstadt. On the 17th, it assembled in Bamberg and attacked toward Altdorf with the 259th and 260th the next day. Neumarket was taken after a sharp fight on April 23rd and the division drove to the Rhine against crumbling German resistance. The division forced the Danube southwest of Regensburg despite strong opposition, especially against the 261st on April 26th. The bridgehead was expanded and the 260th took Regensburg on April 27th as the 13th Armored Division passed through its sector. The division followed the armor and crossed the Isar River at Plattling May 1, 1945. The 261st reached the Inn River at Passau on May 2nd and assaulted across it at Neuhaus. Passau fell the next day and the 261st reached the Enns River and overran Enns. The 260th remained to garrison Linz and the division closed the Enns River May 6th, and made contact with the advancing Soviet Army in the vicinity of Strengberg on May 8, 1945 as hostilities ceased.

The Division reached Austria on May 4, 1945 and remained in Austria, under Brig. Gen. John E. Copeland until disbanded on August 31, 1945.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #12
the gunman
User

Thank you Ron also with this gun was a canteen engraved with the 65 div "Battle axe" Insignia and marked AUSTRIA IN MEMORY OF LINZ 1945 really neat piece. The above info is great. My limited computer skill never seem to get me far.
Unread 09-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,170 Posts

Excellent information!

This will be a big push towards understanding the Ku-variation and it's area of operation.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 11:21 PM   #14
Fritzer
User

Default What are the odds?

Hey Richie,

I was born, and still live in St. Clair Michigan !!
It's a pretty small city proper - maybe 6,000 or so population.

I was really shocked to read about that in your post.
There are several families of Andersons here - but I don't know any Henry or Dad's named Henry. I also had an Anderson for my 8th grade teacher - but his first name was "Mr." ha ha.

I can't think of any other leads to follow up on to help you out, but I'll check with my brother in law - he knows just about everybody in town.

I was really floored to read about my hometown in your post!
I'll be sure to let you know if I turn up anything on the Michigan connection of you great new luger.

Fritz.
Fritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #15
the gunman
User

Thank you Fritz . Hey like they say 'You never know" The plot sure thickens
Unread 09-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
Imperial Arms
Banned

For the past many years, Ku Lugers have been considered very controversial, and after previewing this pistol/rig, it appears to be original and correct in my opinion. Therefore, what characteristics and other details should a collector notice to allow a Ku Luger variation to pass the litmus test?

All opinions and information would be welcome for this group/series of Lugers.

Cheers,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote