LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 09-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #21
Walt NW
User

Bob....Sorry, can't get picture of left side to reduce down enough to post, but simply shows standard military proofs for a 1917 DMW. All lazy N's are on the right side. As you can see, this was originally a 1917 Arty that went through an initial rework with replacement of barrel and rear toggle, then somehow got hit with the lazy N's (Krieghoff?) then reworked again (to get ride of the lazy N's?) winding up with the Dresen police (S.P.D.) on grip.
Super guy, Bill M., from the forum, worked with me for a considerable length of time on this a few years back with the conclusion that it may have indeed gone through 3 separate reworks ending service with a final going over by the folks in Dresden,
Walt NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 12:32 PM   #22
maddog350gt
User

Walt NW, and Big Norm;

Thanks for both of your post, particularly the pictures Walt posted of his lazy crown/N police rework. I will try to get pictures of the proofs on the gun in question for comparison.

One point I am trying to clear up is wether manufactures or rework shops other than Krieghoff used the lazy crown/N. Both yes and no have been suggested in the discussions about this gun. Anyone have definitive or at least compelling documentation one way or the other?

I did send a PM to John D before I posted on the forum, but I assume he is very busy as usual, and has not responded. I would be very interested in his opinion.

The other caveat I have gleaned from the discussions here are that even if this proves to be a Krieghoff rework, the forum members don't see this as a grounds for value above that of other early 20's commercial reworks. I am sure this will surprise the current owner. I think he feels he has a very valuable piece.

Thanks to all who have responded.
Bob M.
maddog350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #23
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts

It is always quite a letdown when you find out something you think is valuable really isn't. This business of rework is sort of like having a fenderbender in your Chevy Geo and taking it to the local Cadillac dealer's body shop for repair. The repaired product isn't a Cadillac.
Unread 09-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #24
Walt NW
User

Bob,
Just an added note.
Some years ago, I sent an inquiry for appraisal and ID to the folks that put out the Blue Book. After a couple months, they gave up on it as they could find nothing in the reference material at the time to prove or disprove that these markings verified the possibility of this being an example of the earliest variety of a Krieghoff rework, although if it was, certainly few would have been produced. Value of any collectible being in the eye of the beholder, for a dedicated Krieghoff collector, and IF some verification could be found that it was Krieghoff related, then it could have considerable value. Big "IF", but in the wonderful world of Lugers, stranger things have happened.
Have a good one.....Walt
Unread 09-16-2005, 07:55 PM   #25
Walt NW
User

Bob,
One last and final note I should have stuck in the previous message. Bare in mind I consider myself in about the 6th grade of Luger knowledge compared to the real pros on the forum. In regard to reworks, it would indeed appear based on the prices quoted in Blue Book, etc., that depending on who does the rework, the value can be substantially more than standard 1920 commercials. The first listing for Krieghoff is usually the 1923 commercial described as a "DMW/Krieghoff" rework and is priced considerably more than standard issues, so again, it begs the question whether my luger or the one you are considering is indeed a Krieghoff variant despite the lack of the Krieghoff name stamp. My apologies to one and all if I'm totally off base on this.